XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bench testing our Jag electronics...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:09 AM
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Bench testing our Jag electronics...

Seems to me that I am about to chase down the well-covered issue of Bluetooth failure in my 2012 XK. I have the newer "F" model Bluetooth module by the way. Unless these modules will never work properly due to outdated software, my preference would be to use the existing system in my car. In order to troubleshoot this though, it seems I need to bench test all the components (the module, the head unit, etc.) Am I thinking about this correctly? I am somewhat of a DIYer and can change components and take readings with my multi-meter (though admittedly I would need help interpreting outcomes.)

Is this the right approach? Would pulling the module and having it sent for a test make sense? Should I just pull the motherboard from the module and see if there is a later model that will work in that housing and with the connectors? How would you approach?

As always, thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

Last edited by Speedmaster; 06-10-2021 at 07:10 AM. Reason: adapter replaced with module
Old 06-10-2021, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Hey Speedmaster - my two cents. First, I have no experience bench testing modules, by that I mean circuit boards, but there are several service providers in my area who do it for a living. I hate swapping out parts also so I like your thinking. I would just back it up a bit and start with DTC codes.

Three things I start with when working on anything electronic on my car and usually obvious to DIY'ers. Do I have a DTC code thrown? Do I have power to the module in question? Is it properly grounded?

Then in the case of any module on the MOST network, I would get a fiber optic loop and eliminate one module at a time to see which one is the problem - though you will get an error code with a break in the MOST network.

I regards to testing circuit boards - I'm a neophyte and would have to rely on an expert.

A couple more thoughts:
It may help to post a bit more detail on your issue and outline what you've done to date. You've apparently done some work already if you're considering bench testing.

When you say newer type F model, does that mean you have a BT module taken from an F type? Are those known to work in the X150?

To my knowledge, standalone motherboards aren't available.
You vehicle probably used C2P20239 (9W83-10D893-AB) for VINS B32753 to B36862. That may be the latest software as well

The only one I know of who can update software on the BT module is Cambo but I believe he stopped doing it. PM him or maybe he will catch this thread.

The following users liked this post:
d a (06-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 10:32 AM
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Responses...thanks!

Originally Posted by Sean W
Hey Speedmaster - my two cents. First, I have no experience bench testing modules, by that I mean circuit boards, but there are several service providers in my area who do it for a living. I hate swapping out parts also so I like your thinking. I would just back it up a bit and start with DTC codes.

Three things I start with when working on anything electronic on my car and usually obvious to DIY'ers. Do I have a DTC code thrown? Do I have power to the module in question? Is it properly grounded?
-----> Will check the codes (have not done this yet.)

Then in the case of any module on the MOST network, I would get a fiber optic loop and eliminate one module at a time to see which one is the problem - though you will get an error code with a break in the MOST network.
-----> I need to read up on the MOST network...thanks.

I regards to testing circuit boards - I'm a neophyte and would have to rely on an expert.

A couple more thoughts:
It may help to post a bit more detail on your issue and outline what you've done to date. You've apparently done some work already if you're considering bench testing.
----> Will do. For now, here:

Bluetooth worked after I pulled the power and data plugs (not the single wire antenna) and cleaned the contacts with electronics cleaner AND I had fully charged the battery the night before
Since then...no longer "finds" my or other phones

When you say newer type F model, does that mean you have a BT module taken from an F type? Are those known to work in the X150?
-----> Not sure they will work but was hopeful to review to see "what can be"

To my knowledge, standalone motherboards aren't available.
You vehicle probably used C2P20239 (9W83-10D893-AB) for VINS B32753 to B36862. That may be the latest software as well
------>My SN is B4718* and my unit is the same but with an "F" after the 10. I believe that is the latest version for Bluetooth software.

The only one I know of who can update software on the BT module is Cambo but I believe he stopped doing it. PM him or maybe he will catch this thread.
-----> Yup, I have a note into him.

Thank you