XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bentley GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I always have a hankering for the Mercedes SL550 hardtop convertible (MY2013+). It's more posh, not that common, and goes faster 0-60 than XKR. Given the steep depreciation, it's arguably even better value for money & luxury.
Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
My e550 has been nothing but an electrical nightmare .let's not also forget the blown gearbox thanks but no thanks I'll take the jags reliability any day
Explains the steep depreciation.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It's simple to me that no one sees the AM. It is it's lack of color. Silver , gray , white and black cars are so common people don't take a second look so they don't care what they are. Try it with a color and I bet you would get a different response.
My black XK gets a *lot* of attention at gas stations. A surprising amount. I thought the simple lines, lack of scoops, and common color would allow it to blend in.

The attention it gets is shocking to me. Silver perhaps might do it, but not black.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,394 Likes on 3,191 Posts

I don't get a lot of attention with Lunar Gray, but I DO get people who obviously take great care to specifically NOT look.
Since Mandrake now has a claret red XKR and lives not too far from me, he'll obviously get more looks than I do.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

The charm of a Jaguar XKR is its understated disposition. No one should think you bought a car to gain attention. If a car makes you look like that then its making you look shallow, superficial and disingenuous. How is it any different than stuffing your undergarments.

The beauty of an XK is there is indeed far more than meets the eye.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The charm of a Jaguar XKR is its understated disposition. No one should think you bought a car to gain attention. If a car makes you look like that then its making you look shallow, superficial and disingenuous. How is it any different than stuffing your undergarments.

The beauty of an XK is there is indeed far more than meets the eye.
Understated beauty in all its glory

Attached Thumbnails Bentley GT-img_20170603_092438.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

The manual trans comment is interesting. I've found that to me the auto box in our cars is better than a manual other than being able to blip the throttle with the clutch in. I'm trying to sell my '93 Mustang and it's cable actuated clutch is heavy. I'd forgotten (or just got used to it over the years) it was and remember even back in the day not wanting to get in rush hour traffic with it.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
The manual trans comment is interesting. I've found that to me the auto box in our cars is better than a manual other than being able to blip the throttle with the clutch in.
There's no question that automated gearboxes in any of their current forms surpass any manual transmission, but for me it's about fun. Manual transmission is just more fun to drive, more engaging. I am not looking to win a race.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Amazingly the XKR would make for an incredible manual transmission car, better than any other car. It highlights the superior and unique Jaguar engineering

1. Around 400 lbs of torque at 2000 rpm, so nearly full power at little above idle. most cars never develop that much torque, not even at 6000rpm. Meaning you could take off in any gear or not have change through two or three gears to slow down to 10-15mph.

2. ultra wide power band, within city limits this could be a single gear car.

3. as a combination of the above: Long pull in each gear. There is nothing more gratifying...its the exact opposite of going through 5 gears just to get to speed on those lilliputian engines. Its like being able to savor the thrust for twice as long.

Its like having the virtues of a vintage car with the benefits of direct injection and twin helix supercharger.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Explains the steep depreciation.
I don't know where you are, but here in Southern California --

2013 XKR $45k (MSRP 97.5k-103k)
2013 SL550 $45k (MSRP 120k)

Both are rare sights in a sea of SUVs and crossovers.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Amazingly the XKR would make for an incredible manual transmission car, better than any other car. It highlights the superior and unique Jaguar engineering
I wish the F-Type got me excited, but it doesn't. Can't quite pin what it is entirely, as I'd would've bet I'd want one considering cars I have owned before.

Not a fan of the interior cues, and back looks too plastic; like one big bumper cover and that's it... If the XK came in a manual, I would've had that from the start and still have it now...

Old 06-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

We get the 'Je ne sais quoi' which is Rolls Royce. We get that a Jaguar was engineered to be a working man's Rolls Royce. Not just in interior appointments and feel, but also in the Acceleration virtues. Authoritative, smooth, progressive, endless acceleration. All without drama. The 510hp 6 speed driveline gives you just that, without needless interruption of the 8speed.

The XKR can then wear 2 hats, a ruffian (albeit not entirely convincingly) and a proper Rolls Royce 'esque' luxury sport. The Ftype is somewhere in between; not quite a gentleman and the hooligan can never be turned off.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

here in Southern California --

2013 XKR $45k (MSRP 97.5k-103k)
2013 SL550 $45k (MSRP 120k)

Both are rare sights in a sea of SUVs and crossovers.
Given the inflated reputation of a Mercedes Benz and iconic SL- for them to be selling for less than a Jaguar is all the alarm bells you need. In both directions mind you. It also shows how much better the Jaguar is, bear in mind the Jaguar is coming from a position of total weakness and non-existent credibility for reliability. In other words, the Jag is theoretically selling for twice the amount.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

It is really cool that used Jaguars now out rate used Benzes.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

The Merc engine in Aston has been nowhere as reliable as ours and frankly not that good of a performer on the street
510 HP at 6500rpm (lol)
420ft tq at 5750rpm

Its virtually dead beneath those near redline revs, unless in the hands of a professional driver who can keep the revs up.

Our car does the same barely above idle, meaning it keeps going after the crescendo.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Don't laugh and stop throwing rocks.. Q&C aren't we getting BMtroubleU engines soon

Old 06-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

The Merc engine in Aston has been nowhere as reliable as ours and frankly not that good of a performer on the street
510 HP at 6500rpm (lol)
420ft tq at 5750rpm

Its virtually dead beneath those near redline revs, unless in the hands of a professional driver who can keep the revs up.

Our car does the same barely above idle, meaning it keeps going after the crescendo.
The V8 Vantage has the AJV8 in a higher performance build; mainly from the use of more expensive casting methods allowing better fluid dynamics for the engine.

The Aston V12 is Ford's Duratec V6's engine structure re-designed to a V12 (That me be putting it a little to simply, but that is the essence of the engine.)

The V8 is Jaguar Based
The V12 is Ford based

Where does Mercedes fit in?

It is good to have you on the forums or the amusing things you post.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-07-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
There's no question that automated gearboxes in any of their current forms surpass any manual transmission, but for me it's about fun. Manual transmission is just more fun to drive, more engaging. I am not looking to win a race.
I do not think the XK's auto box to be superior to a good manual, it has a lot of extra friction and rotating mass. Automatics that are not slushboxes, perforated bovine but can those things drive!

If you want a good example of the difference not having a slushbox makes, watch this video.

The slush box was 4.9 seconds behind the PDK after one mile.
Difference in weight 35KG in favor of the PDK
Difference in crank power 36HP in favor of the Slushbox

Sadly, the video cuts in a way so as to not show how embarrassing the F-type got beat unless you do the math:

If the 911 turbo were to hold speed at it's finishing pace of roughly 180MPH, during the time gap it took for the F-type SVR to also reach that one mile line, the 911 would be 1/4 mile past the finish line when the Jaguar finally crosses. Holy crap!!! (263.3 FPS for 4.9 seconds is 1290.17 feet ahead, not including additional acceleration during that time spam from the 911.)

It is one of those videos that puts advances in gear box, suspension, and electronic control technology into perspective. The car's should be close on paper, but it's obvious the 911 just says good buy to the F-type.

Personally, I would not say no to a free good condition 911, Aston Martin, or Bently.

I made my choice of the XK when it was buying time, but I do consider sell/trade to an Aston(more likely) or 911(less likely) for a manual gear box.

If I stay single another ten years, maybe just add another car instead of sell/trade.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-07-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
The V8 Vantage has the AJV8 in a higher performance build; mainly from the use of more expensive casting methods allowing better fluid dynamics for the engine.

The Aston V12 is Ford's Duratec V6's engine structure re-designed to a V12 (That me be putting it a little to simply, but that is the essence of the engine.)

The V8 is Jaguar Based
The V12 is Ford based

Where does Mercedes fit in?

It is good to have you on the forums or the amusing things you post.
Sorry I was speaking of two things simultaneously in one breath- but the point remains.
Merc AMG is now supplying the engines to AM.
Merc AMG 'engine technology' has a class action lawsuit for bad engineering.

The Ford (Germany) made engine for the AM ( I should have stated I was referring to the v12) fails on multiple levels, including 30% less gas mileage than the Jag Aj8 3 5l

Old 06-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I do not think the XK's auto box to be superior to a good manual, it has a lot of extra friction and rotating mass. Automatics that are not slushboxes, perforated bovine but can those things drive!

If you want a good example of the difference not having a slushbox makes, watch this video.
https://youtu.be/FYLQGUcy3L8

The slush box was 4.9 seconds behind the PDK after one mile.
Difference in weight 35KG in favor of the PDK
Difference in crank power 36HP in favor of the Slushbox

Sadly, the video cuts in a way so as to not show how embarrassing the F-type got beat unless you do the math:

If the 911 turbo were to hold speed at it's finishing pace of roughly 180MPH, during the time gap it took for the F-type SVR to also reach that one mile line, the 911 would be 1/4 mile past the finish line when the Jaguar finally crosses. Holy crap!!! (263.3 FPS for 4.9 seconds is 1290.17 feet ahead, not including additional acceleration during that time spam from the 911.)

It is one of those videos that puts advances in gear box, suspension, and electronic control technology into perspective. The car's should be close on paper, but it's obvious the 911 just says good buy to the F-type.
Is it really a comparison of transmissions, or the benefits of Launch Control.
Look what happens in a more realistic scenario when you take launch control out of the equation. Listen an you will hear the Lambo change gears.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Cee Jay (06-07-2017), ralphwg (06-08-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a BRILLIANT review that underscores the dilemma of driving pleasure between a Jag XKR and AM. And one in Auto the other manual.
Note what he says about needing to keep the revs up. (just as I was laboring to explain)
There are a couple other huge points here. There is nothing more revolting than some guy who typically test toasters and Ford Taurus telling you he doesnt like a Jaguar because of the navigation screen. This guy has reviewed it from a British perspective as it should be, it is after all the culture one is buying into when buying a Jag or Am. Most notably, he has driven it for over a year!

The conclusion will shock you. (and it will make my other point about how the XKR would have been a car made for a manual transmission)

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-07-2017)