XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bentley GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Is it really a comparison of transmissions, or the benefits of Launch Control.
Look what happens in a more realistic scenario when you take launch control out of the equation. Listen an you will hear the Lambo change gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k942oabdU38
A Gallardo?

Do you realize just how many videos are there of Gallardo's getting trounced?

Here is one getting beat by a Volvo.

People wanting to impress the unknowing compare to Gallardo's.

Normally aspirated 911 vs Gallardo rolling start.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

You dont buy a Jaguar to trounce some poor sod at a traffic light and believe he will think highly of you....
You most likely bought your Jaguar because you dont drink that German koolaid and use the authority and power to impress yourself, and never let a *** in a porsche or audi cut in front of you as a bonus.

As the reviewer in my former video demonstrated, there are the values in motoring that the germans created and then there is reality.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,394 Likes on 3,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
A Gallardo?

My Niece's husband is a Troglodyte, and he's all kinds of proud that he bought a Gallardo. It sat in his garage for months at a time, only came out to get service. He sold it last year, but didn't lose much at all, UNLIKE a Jaguar.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

A Gallardo?

Normally aspirated 911 vs Gallardo rolling start.

Gallardo 13.3 & 13.7 e.t however this one was a manual then went home think his mph 112/113

Old 06-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Given the inflated reputation of a Mercedes Benz and iconic SL- for them to be selling for less than a Jaguar is all the alarm bells you need. In both directions mind you. It also shows how much better the Jaguar is, bear in mind the Jaguar is coming from a position of total weakness and non-existent credibility for reliability. In other words, the Jag is theoretically selling for twice the amount.
Terrible resale

2007 e550 165k mrsp AUD

Highest trade offered 15k

Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Terrible resale

2007 e550 165k mrsp AUD

Highest trade offered 15k
Aussies have no time for unreliable cars.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,394 Likes on 3,191 Posts

Tervuren brought it up....
I'm TOTALLY not a fan of any 911. How many 911-types were built that are nearly identical since the first one? Five million? I know there are at least twelve 911 variants within a few miles of me, and the owners all drive like knobs.
No thanks, I'll stick with my one-of-two (gee, thanks Mandrake) XKRs in Utah.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
mosesbotbol (06-08-2017), Queen and Country (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Tervuren brought it up....
I'm TOTALLY not a fan of any 911. How many 911-types were built that are nearly identical since the first one? Five million? I know there are at least twelve 911 variants within a few miles of me, and the owners all drive like knobs.
No thanks, I'll stick with my one-of-two (gee, thanks Mandrake) XKRs in Utah.
To keep the mazel in house, I was asked not to buy a 911... I like the way the look, sound, drive, but are very common cars. Victim of their own success? You don't get much for your money either. To get a 911 as well appointed as an F Type, or an Evora, you have to pay a lot more... 911 can be as bespoke as any car on the road, but few are and it comes with a princely sum.

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
Cee Jay (06-08-2017), Queen and Country (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

A Gallardo?

I dont understand what you are saying?
What do you believe attributes to the Gallardo performing less than it should?
Here is a chart that may make it easier for you to look up the specs.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
To get a 911 as well appointed as an F Type, or an Evora, you have to pay a lot more... 911 can be as bespoke as any car on the road, but few are and it comes with a princely sum.
Yes, to get a 911 to have the standard features of an F-Type is about $30K in options. Whoa!! (You can spend almost $50K in options on a $96K base 911).

Porsche really designs their line up for good profits, yet despite this, they still offer a pretty epic experience that people are willing to pay for.

They make mistakes here and there, the 996's value as a used cars reflects that, but other 911's are doing quite well.

What the 911 offers, is performance and driving that isn't measured in metrics, I absolutely loved it when I drove a 2015 911 in October 2015. It woke me up that modern cars can actually still be fun to drive. I bought my XK 7 days later after re-researching modern sports cars.

911 shopping was very frustrating for the reasons you mention, each 911 is some different combination of options, and if you are looking for a specific combination it can take weeks of searching.

Jaguar comes with exactly what I wanted standard, there are very few options. I looked for a caramel interior, and bought. It was quite easy. Shopping for a 911, not so much.

The 911 is the superior driving car, the handling is well done, eerily telepathic even. Its the only modern sports car I've driven that I never looked up how to disable its nanny electronics. They did to each individual wheel what I wanted; I did not think I could do better with it off.

I do not really care if things are common, but I do like them to be good. The XK was the proper car for my intents, it has a few things I wish were better done, but the cars that posses those few things are detrimental compared to the XK in more important areas.

One major attraction of the XK/XKR, is that topics like these tend to be the most discussed, rather than issues with our cars. It is not like this for other models of cars.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-08-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Say what you wish, when a Bentley rolls up it is noticed, much more than any Jag in town. That is a fact here in Tampa.

As for the Lambo, a friend of a friend bought a Gallardo and would only take it out on special occasions. Mainly as it drew a crowd wherever he went and he freaked out looking outside a restaurant and seeing people sticking their hands on his car to look inside. Whenever we crossed paths and we talked about it he laughed at the reaction everywhere he went, while driving or stationary.

At one point I ran into him after he sold it, this a year after he bought it for a bit more than he paid originally. Granted he was very well connected and got a great deal on the initial purchase.

Who cares who beats who in a race, owning a car like that is an experience in admiration and automotive lust, at least from the admiring masses.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
To keep the mazel in house, I was asked not to buy a 911... .
I refrained from bringing it up till you did. One would be hard-pressed to find flagrant antisemites in the car business, sans Ford and Porsche, one wrote a book and the other actually did time in the penitentiary for war crimes.

Heritage and pedigree does go into one's perception of a marquee. Jaguar is still leveraging its history. I could never feel reimbursed in supporting, let alone flaunting those names.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I refrained from bringing it up till you did. One would be hard-pressed to find flagrant antisemites in the car business, sans Ford and Porsche, one wrote a book and the other actually did time in the penitentiary for war crimes.

Heritage and pedigree does go into one's perception of a marquee. Jaguar is still leveraging its history. I could never feel reimbursed in supporting, let alone flaunting those names.
Your cited reasons are why I wouldn't aspire to a 911 or any German marque. For her, she thinks all 911 drivers are d-bags... Plus the ribbing from a few friends is not worth it. Jaguar or Aston is hard to say anything against. You'd sound like a fool if you said they weren't cool...

I use to not care about where a car was from; owned two MB's, but I care more now. A car choice does carry the good and bad about its association IMO. If you are hard up, I understand the choice is purely financial and not moral.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Even if Porsche was British and Ferdinand was not a SS Oberfuhrer.
I would have to overlook the theft and deceit that the car was born out of with an eye to world domination....worst it still continues till today.

Its a marquee built on nothing but tears, including that of Germans who were recently ripped off again by Porsche. Its a brand for those who can blissfully ignore all that.

I have the exact opposite emotions with my Jaguar, I can take great comfort in its incredibly positive history.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Even if Porsche was British and Ferdinand was not a SS Oberfuhrer.
I would have to overlook the theft and deceit that the car was born out of with an eye to world domination....worst it still continues till today.

Its a marquee built on nothing but tears, including that of Germans who were recently ripped off again by Porsche. Its a brand for those who can blissfully ignore all that.

I have the exact opposite emotions with my Jaguar, I can take great comfort in its incredibly positive history.
This post is somewhat more reasonable than your last.

Considering F. Porsche was convicted in a French court(not international), and not for genocide against jews, but rather POW's working in German factories, your last post was rather out there.

It should be noted there are actually *two* Porsche companies, the automobile manufacturer, started after WWII by F. Porsche's son, and a separate engineering company started by F. Porsche in I think the 1920's.

F. Porsche was in jail by the French when his son started building Porsche cars.

Now as to F. Porsche and Porsche, I do not believe on visiting the sins of the dead upon the living; there is not a culture or family that you could do business with if you lived this way!

I look at what the living, and those involved have done.

When it comes down to it, "what have you done lately", I did not get a 911, I got a Jaguar XK. The reasons are not Ferdinand Porsche, but decisions made by Porsche from 1999 to present, especially the grenading of brand new engines, requiring a lawsuit over the span of many years to finally bring resolution to owners.

The 911, except in my luggage accommodation needs, is however, the better car in almost all respects. The only point the XK can really beat it is the slushbox is gentle and fluid in shifting, when gentle and fluid is desired. Some do not like the "clunk" of the PDK in the 911. (The manual is what you make of it however.)

I am in a bad spot, in that just recently the the Porsche dealer has bought the Jaguar dealer, and their service and parts departments are getting merged. Several key figures at the Porsche dealer have passed on, and things have not been good for several years.

Time to DIY, find an Indy, or change car.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

You conveniently dismissed my point.
Even if I could overlook Porsche being a SS Oberfuhrer (I dont believe you realize what that is- you would not explain the conviction) But lets indeed ignore all that.
I could not overlook that he STOLE the formula that is now Porsche 911 from Tatra.
His sons did nothing. Ferdinand was indeed a brilliant engineer, his electric motor hub is still unsurpassed. He did invent that- but had no contribution to the VW Bug which became the 911.

We should have hanged him. Its amazing that even the Germans let them keep their Reich name of Folks Wagen. And in hilarious irony, Jaguar had to change its name because these guys started calling themselves SS.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

The 911, except in my luggage accommodation needs, is however, the better car in almost all respects. The only point the XK can really beat it is the slushbox is gentle and fluid in shifting, when gentle and fluid is desired. Some do not like the "clunk" of the PDK in the 911. (The manual is what you make of it however.)
They are different animals altogether. Your car is a luxury grand tourer that is somewhat sporty- The 911 is the exact opposite of that. They do not even remotely compare.
You can make an XK a 911, get a 5l, add supercharger, strip all the weight adding luxury, reduce size of fuel tank and so on. In essence what Aston Martin did with their special edition.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

I would love to own a Bentley at some point, also a Maserati, I have HAPPILY owned a Porsche. I certainly will not be guilted out of buying German cars if I feel like owning one. I sympathize with Europeans as the wounds, while healed, still have scars.

The world has changed rapidly in 117 years, in the early 1900's Britain ruled a fifth of the worlds population with an iron hand. I understand that in those times colonialism and the brutalities associated with it were the norm and what Britain is today is vastly different. If I start judging countries, even my own, I could find enough fault in most that I would be left with a very short list of brands to choose. I wonder what country I would be left with, maybe a Swedish car, certainly wouldn't be American either.

I love my Jaguar and even though it's home country has it's shares of past atrocities I am a fan.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

TampaMark,
My point was not about holding a car manufacturer to it's country's missteps- thats wrong.
My point was being able to enjoy a carmaker's heritage, my jaguar would not even be half as much to me if not for being able enjoy its steep heritage.
It is in fact the biggest selling point of a Jaguar.

Look at it this way, there is a Huge market of vintage cars, worth billions, people dont spent a fortune on a vintage, camaro mustang or $2million on a Chevy Impala because it performs as good as a modern car. They buy these cars because it means something to them.
VW did not buy BENTLEY because they wanted a better car- they bought it for the heritage and association that people have in their minds to a model or marquee.
For those reasons I could only half enjoy a Porsche because I know of a history of deceit and fraud, its not just history, they were just convicted of the same thing again just last year.
BTW Bentley is owned by Porsche, but I dont think SS, Tatra, and KDF when I think Bentley.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
mosesbotbol (06-11-2017), tampamark (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, there is something about a Jaguar. I still remember my Uncle and his long hood E Type, he was the coolest dude around.