XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bentley GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

You beat me to it.
When my friends saw my XK, first thing they said- 'Thats an E=type'
Thats what I see in my minds eye. The E-type was a feeling.
Here is what I am trying to paint.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

The song that goes with this powerful image
"first time ever I saw your face"
It was the era of the gentlemen

Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 895 Posts

Utterly Ridiculous

Attached Thumbnails Bentley GT-screenshot_2017-06-10-14-53-27.png   Bentley GT-screenshot_2017-06-10-14-50-44.png  
Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
I would love to own a Bentley at some point, also a Maserati, I have HAPPILY owned a Porsche. I certainly will not be guilted out of buying German cars if I feel like owning one. I sympathize with Europeans as the wounds, while healed, still have scars.

The world has changed rapidly in 117 years, in the early 1900's Britain ruled a fifth of the worlds population with an iron hand. I understand that in those times colonialism and the brutalities associated with it were the norm and what Britain is today is vastly different. If I start judging countries, even my own, I could find enough fault in most that I would be left with a very short list of brands to choose. I wonder what country I would be left with, maybe a Swedish car, certainly wouldn't be American either.

I love my Jaguar and even though it's home country has it's shares of past atrocities I am a fan.
Swedes committed viking depredations until missionaries put an end to that.

Little mentioned in history, is the Swedish kings ended up building one of the largest European empires; but they attempted to take on Russia. The Russians burned their own land and stores, and the Swedish army could not feed themselves to advance.

The Swedish Empire's armed forces were something else compared to their era though. They paid for food instead of foraging(stealing.) Resolute, generally won even when massively out numbered. The Russians were their downfall however.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You beat me to it.
When my friends saw my XK, first thing they said- 'Thats an E=type'
Thats what I see in my minds eye. The E-type was a feeling.
Here is what I am trying to paint.
That picture really shows off that the E-type used the prescribed aerodynamic philosophy of a patent filed in 1928(USA) by a German engineer. The German patent is earlier.

I am not sure given your accusations of Porsche how that stands. There are two patents by German engineers when it comes to the E-types shape, one of which although a patent, the innovator was very liberal in wishing to improve cars in general, and was not much of a stickler.

The other patent though, the innovator was quite tight, and this is perhaps why United States production street cars did not conform until after the patent expired. The patent however, was strictly applied to production passenger cars, and not including race cars.

It is interesting that the designer of the E-type attributed what he knew from working with a German engineer, but he wouldn't name who. Perhaps they had an understanding.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-10-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
That picture really shows off that the E-type used the prescribed aerodynamic philosophy of a patent filed in 1928(USA) by a German engineer. The German patent is earlier.

I am not sure given your accusations of Porsche how that stands. There are two patents by German engineers when it comes to the E-types shape, one of which although a patent, the innovator was very liberal in wishing to improve cars in general, and was not much of a stickler.

The other patent though, the innovator was quite tight, and this is perhaps why United States production street cars did not conform until after the patent expired. The patent however, was strictly applied to production passenger cars, and not including race cars.

It is interesting that the designer of the E-type attributed what he knew from working with a German engineer, but he wouldn't name who. Perhaps they had an understanding.
There is simple demarcation line between Reality and Delusion.
That line is a legal judgement.
Porsche was successfully sued for pilfering their ideas from Tatra.
The character of the man was further proven when he was jailed for even stealing labour. Last year gain Porsche exec were sent to jail money Fraud.

No such judgement exists against Mercedes or any other car manufacturer in the world.

Even if the E-type yarn was true, it would be laughed under current patent laws .
You cant build a castle in the sky and make a claim against Windsor Castle.
Tatra did not just have some dreams on paper, they had a car long before Porsche copied it.

Controversy over the design Volkswagen Beetle

In 1933 Porsche designed a vehicle for the firm NSU type 32.The KDF wagen was so close in design,name, and concept to the Tatra V570,and shared so many mechanical concepts,that Tatra sued Porsche for violation and infringement of patent policy.

The legal claim would have to wait to the end of the second world war when German courts would sustain Tatra's claim and ordered Volkswagen to compensate Tatra a multi-million dollar settlement.

Joseph Ganz,a Jewish engineer is the true designer of the Volkswagen concept and has numerous drawings,letters and documentations to prove this claim,due to his status as Jewish was forced to abandon **** Germany

Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Porsche was successfully sued for pilfering their ideas from Tatra.
The character of the man was further proven when he was jailed for even stealing labour. Last year gain Porsche exec were sent to jail money Fraud.

No such judgement exists against Mercedes or any other car manufacturer in the world.
OK, so we have moved from the participation in War Crimes as the reason to hate Porsche to now their intrinsic evil nature and a culture of fraud and theft.

How does this track with your affection for your Toyota Land Cruiser considering Toyota had to pay a 1.2 billion dollar fine for covering up flawed cars that were killing people? In an effort to maintain profits Toyota executives knowingly put lives at risk by misleading consumers and misstating facts to Congress and regulators. In the end it is people who are evil, not necessarily brands. You root out the bad and hope that in the end the good part survives.

You hate Porshce because you feel like it, just say that and move on. The reasons would make sense if there wasn't a clear double standard in play. I will applaud your stance if you dump that Toyota!

Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

OK, so we have moved from the participation in War Crimes as the reason to hate Porsche to now their intrinsic evil nature and a culture of fraud and theft.

How does this track with your affection for your Toyota Land Cruiser considering Toyota had to pay a 1.2 billion dollar fine for covering up flawed cars that were killing people? In an effort to maintain profits Toyota executives knowingly put lives at risk by misleading consumers and misstating facts to Congress and regulators. In the end it is people who are evil, not necessarily brands. You root out the bad and hope that in the end the good part survives.

You hate Porshce because you feel like it, just say that and move on. The reasons would make sense if there wasn't a clear double standard in play. I will applaud your stance if you dump that Toyota!
Are you asking me how does my association of Porsche with the arrogance, being a senior SS Leader, slave labor, Adolf, Holocaust, Financial fraud, and inexpiable pain, fear and sorrow- compare with manufacturing flaw and cover up at Toyota.
Thant's a tough one, you may have a point.

So my immediate neighbor who is a survivor, must be thinking really low of me for supporting Toyota.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

On a serious note, Porsche owners should realize there is a significant percentage of people who have a negative image

Recently in Czechoslovakia they built a museum and memorial for Porsche in the town that he was born in. There was a huge protests by the Czech.
Its no longer a museum or any homage site- its called an auto exhibit.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

TampaMark,
I was unsatisfied with my snide reply, It left you with too little.
Toyota's is the exact opposite of Porsche. It did not set out for world domination by manipulation. i.e. Porsche trying to buy VW for which they have now been convicted.
Its like when a convicted sex offender is caught trespassing- you cant overlook the history.
Toyota's ambitions were to provide arrogance-free quality engineering that the world could use- in essence it was the true people's car. Ask Steve from Australia, he will tell you how indispensable that car was to new worlds.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Don't forget Henry Ford who's been dead for 70 years. God forbid we forget that he had race issues and owning a Ford is bad m'kay.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Stumbled up this vehicle sent to me by a dealer

Although I have never been fond of light blue pearl on our coupes this particular color scheme has definitely struck a cord with me not to mention the high quality finish of the interior
I absolutely love the interior color combination, but I'd prefer a pearl white for the exterior to go with it.

The exterior color needs a rugged coastal or mountain landscape to look good. In an urban, or less rugged country, it would be lack luster.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Even if the E-type yarn was true.
You provided the link that told me about it, just FYI.

To the victor the spoils, and lots of "German" things became fair game after 1945. You have to understand that things settled in European courts reflect this.

The U.K. largely enjoys a better justice system that the continental Europeans are under, so your ideas of "the court decided so it must be right" are founded on a fallacy when it comes to the courts of other countries.

Take the continental scientists convicted of man slaughter when they stated that past data showed similar perturbations without a major earthquake. When a major earth quake occurred, they were held liable for property and life of the town the earth quake occurred in.

Is that justice? The best knowledge we had said "possible, but not certain". When it happened, and became certain, should they be imprisoned for not saying it was certain?

This is but one of many instances I could relate. However, fortunately, for most of us; although the possibility of miss-applied justice is ever present, the occurrences relative to the amount of cases is fortunately slighter than it could be.

I tend to read the histories written by folks of many different countries, they hide certain or expound differently based upon their national bias. The English have quite the bias, as do the French, Italian, etc....

Only by a prolific gathering from many sources can anything even remotely like what really occurred be some what known. The same biases that go into the writings of history, are also evident in the actions of European courts. Public opinion, and national pride can easily over rule fact when it comes to continental European courts.

*Attempt at humor*
I went out to one of them thar circle track races here in the south, and dang it but Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Toyota aughta be sueing each other for copying the other's designs! If it weren't for the stickers you couldn't tell them apart!

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-10-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

It's all good, we are out in left field again and wandering out there can go on forever. Having said all I intend regarding our side topic, I go back to the original.

Go Bentley's!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

There is a Bentley color in this clip that it just incredible.
There is a XKR convt too!

TX Nigel (06-11-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Jolly good show !!

Queen and Country (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I like the bentley quite a bunch. I am looking at another car and have just begun to seriously look at Astons. the db11 has me interested...tremendous presence! I am losing interest in the Italian stuff.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ferraripete
I like the bentley quite a bunch. I am looking at another car and have just begun to seriously look at Astons. the db11 has me interested...tremendous presence! I am losing interest in the Italian stuff.
I went by the Aston Martin dealer here in Charlotte this week to check them out. Did not look at a DB11.

I will say the the V12 Vantage felt like a car designed by Germans, but with interference by Italians taking over in places. The Vantage also had a distinct "I'm almost a race car" feel about it. This was an aura that I did not expect from an Aston Martin.

Jaguar has been bought and is getting moved and merged into the Porsche facility. As much as I like my XK, this has *bumped* me into considering Aston Martin.

The Vantage will not fit my computer, so it cannot take over from the XK.

The DB11, like the 930, has fantastic hips.

Last edited by Tervuren; 06-10-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I went by the Aston Martin dealer here in Charlotte this week to check them out. Did not look at a DB11.
That's a pity as that DB11 is just out of the world! Utterly fantastic in every category.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Moses you should put the Rolls Royce Ghost on your list.
Obviously you are not the type to confuse timeless luxury for sports.
The main reason is that it has leveled off and when the auto recession hits next year, it will represent one of the best values. Everyone says its going up from there.
Its presence is undeniable. Even Bentleys become regular car with the passing of time as they have. In South Florida they are called the Boca Ford.
The Ghost is rock solid and you get what its all about.
Additionally its an entirely subsidized car. Meaning it should cost way more than it does.