Default Best leather care products for ivory seats

any recommendations on a good quality leather care product for my seats

Old 09-15-2021, 02:55 AM
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Autoexpress. Don't know if you've got these is Oz

Old 09-15-2021, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Check out this recent thread on the Pommy forum: https://www.jaginfo.org/threads/ivor...eaning.114197/
Lots of good products mentioned but FWIW I use AutoGlym Leather Care Balm, works great, smells good, easy to use, cleans nourishes and protects all at the same time, freely available from most auto parts stores eg Supercheap and doesn't cost a lot, what's not to like!

Old 09-15-2021, 04:48 AM
Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

All modern leathers has a non porous clearcoat layer. I would use an all purpose cleaner but diluted to clean the grease and sweat off the leather seats.
You may notice those special leather conditioner says NOT to use it on the steering wheel because it will make the steering wheel greasy and dangerous. I use all purpose cleaner on the steering wheel leather to remove the grease and sweat buildup.

Once cleaned the leather will have the original matt/satin look, not the shiny greasy look.

The following 3 users liked this post by XKRAU:
gts055 (09-17-2021), jahummer (09-15-2021), mosesbotbol (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

went with the Bowdens own range plus the symbol reminds me of the old jaguar logo lol

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 09-15-2021 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Here we go again! This question has been asked and answered repeatedly. After using Griot's Leather Care for over 10 years on my Ivory and Slate leather, I still recommend it.

From my June 23, 2011 Post #3 (edited) in this old thread:
What leather conditioner do you use?

Originally Posted by Stuart S
My 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible came from the factory with a 100ml spray bottle of leather cleaner and conditioner with the Jaguar logo. That bottle was affixed to the left side of the trunk. The label does not identify the manufacturer. That product is odorless, clear, and has a very thin viscosity. If anyone knows the identity of the manufacturer, let us know. My upholstery is 2-tone, Ivory and Slate.

I recently noticed some very little black spots all over my seats and touchscreen. I have no idea how they got there (I drive alot with the top down) and they looked like paint overspray. I tried cleaning the touchscreen using cottonballs saturated with (1) water, (2) Windex, and (3) alcohol, but nothing worked. I didn't want to use any solvents (like Goo Gone or Goof-Off) for fear of damaging the touchscreen. I tried removing the spots from the seats using a soft rag saturated with (1) the Jaguar product and (2) my Lexol leather cleaner, but neither worked. So, I went to Amazon.com and searched for "leather conditioner" in the Automotive section, sorted by Average Customer Review, and read the reviews. Based on the reviews, I decided to buy the Griot's Garage 11259 Leather Care Spray Kit for $24.99. Definitely not cheap (but worth it in my case - read on...)

Griot's leather cleaner is a clear liquid, slightly thick, and I suspect it might be liquid glycerine soap. I put a little on a soft rag and rubbed with my fingertip in small circles and the spots came off in less than a minute. Griot's cleaner did not change the color of my seats. I can't attest as to the effectiveness of Griot's leather conditioner, since it has been less than 2 weeks since I applied it to my dash, door panels, and seats. Griot's conditioner is similar to the Jaguar product; both are clear, odorless, and very thin. I guess they are thin in order to penetrate the leather, instead of just sitting on top.

Since Griot's leather cleaner worked well on my seats, I thought I'd try a little in the corner of my touchscreen to see if it would remove the overspray. I used the same method as on my seats and, to my surprise, it removed the overspray and my touchscreen was like new without any scratches or residue.

I previously used Lexol (both their cleaner and conditioner) on my LS460. Lexol's conditioner is totally different from Griot's conditioner. Lexol is thicker and has a lanolin odor, which I didn't care for. As for Lexol's effectiveness, I guess it's OK, but it left my seats feeling a little sticky for a day until it completely soaked in and dried. Not so with Griot's leather conditioner - it soaks in immediately and doesn't leave a shiny, reflective residue - perfect for the dashboard.

My point is that any product that moisturizes leather without changing the color is fine to keep it from drying out and shrinking. You just have to reapply it often enough, depending on your climate conditions. Just be aware that a conditioner that works well on dark leather might discolor light-colored leather. You don't have to spend alot to get a product that works well. Check the Amazon reviews to find a product that suits your needs.
See also:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-care-159536/

Still lookin' good!

P.S. I realize that you're in Australia, and that Griot's Garage products probably aren't available there. But my point is the same - use a thin viscosity leather conditioner and a mild leather cleaner like liquid glycerin soap, as you don't want to remove the polyurethane coating that protects your leather. Sure, that coating will wear off and crack with age, and that's the reason to use a thin viscosity conditioner - it can penetrate the protective layer and keep the leather soft and pliable.

Last edited by Stuart S; 09-15-2021 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added P.S
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Clellandm (09-16-2021), mosesbotbol (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 07:18 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Beware of Silicone additives

Originally Posted by XKRAU
All modern leathers has a non porous clearcoat layer. I would use an all purpose cleaner but diluted to clean the grease and sweat off the leather seats.
You may notice those special leather conditioner says NOT to use it on the steering wheel because it will make the steering wheel greasy and dangerous. I use all purpose cleaner on the steering wheel leather to remove the grease and sweat buildup.

Once cleaned the leather will have the original matt/satin look, not the shiny greasy look.
the shiny greasy look is from cleaners and conditioners that contain silicone…. Silicone is very bad for leather and actually dries it out. Always avoid silicone…unfortunately most conditioners contain silicone… good news is you can always tell by the shiny and greasy look/feel.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
the shiny greasy look is from cleaners and conditioners that contain silicone…. Silicone is very bad for leather and actually dries it out. Always avoid silicone…unfortunately most conditioners contain silicone… good news is you can always tell by the shiny and greasy look/feel.

This is correct. Silicones should not be used on the leather and many commercial so-called conditioners contain silicones. Among those that do not are Lexol and my favourite: AutoGlym Leather Balm, the latter being creamier. Both of these will also remove tremendous amounts of dirt if left to penetrate the surface coating (and they do penetrate). Then, using a microfibre clth, lubricated with a bit more Lexol or Leather Balm, simply buff the surface. Repeated applications in this way result in clean, soft, non-shiny leather...and the leather can still look new after 20 years or more of use. Those who talk about.the leather being colour-coated are correct; those who claim that this colour coat does not need conditioner to remain soft and supple, well...

The following users liked this post:
bfarrell (09-16-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Ive' tried a bunch of stuff in the past but I use 303 Aerospace (or 303 Automotive protectant) only for the last 4 years or so... Steering wheel, coated leather seats, dash, all plastic buts, door/trunk/hood seals, tires, headlight covers, tail light covers, etc. Looks good, goes on easy, wipes off easy, leaves a matte finish. It's not slippery once you wipe it off. One bottle in the cabinet instead of 10 different products for each surface.

It does contain silicone though but I haven't seen any issues with it on multiple cars. YMMV....

Old 09-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

For cleaning I like 3m's leather cleaner. Spray on, wipe off. For conditioner I use Griot's. Griot's is what the local Aston dealer uses on their cars; good enough for me.

FWIW, when I leased my XE, I vowed not every put any leather conditioner on the seats. Just cleaning and wiping down with damp towel. Seats looked brand new when I returned the car.

shemp (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

As long as you get the dirt, grease and grime off the surface, the leather will stay clean since it is sealed. Use a damp cloth and some mild detergent.
Or don't.
You can use all the chemicals you wish, but if they don't get the dirt, grease and grime off, then they will just seal it all on and make it harder to remove next time (which will be never if you keep using chemicals).
If you want them to LOOK all shiny (or matte, or satin), then they will need something, but that's all up to you. Avoid silicone (as stated already several times) and get the least invasive surface treatment you can find. You're just covering the factory topcoat anyway, so just use sparingly.

shemp (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
... You're just covering the factory topcoat anyway, so just use sparingly.
I agree, so long as the polyurethane coating is intact. Butt repeated entry and exit will eventually cause cracks in that coating. (Puns intended) That's when Griot's or other thin viscosity leather conditioners help preserve your leather, since can they penetrate the coating.

That still might not be enough to prevent the color from wearing off. If it does, you can easily recolor it yourself like I did. See my Post #3 in this 2014 thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-wear-122891/

Here's what I used - Dynamix, from England:

It was a perfect color match, and very easy to apply using the supplied sponge. I cleaned the side bolster with the Griot's Interior Cleaner, let it dry, and then put a small amount of dye on the sponge and dabbed it on. I was skeptical, but after it dried all of the cracks and abrasions were completely filled in and my driver's seat looked like new! I had to look very closely to tell where the dye was applied.

My driver's seat still looks good 7 years later, but I changed how I get into the car. Previously, I put my right leg in first, and then slid my side against the bolster to sit down, which caused the abrasion to that bolster. Now, I plop by butt in the seat first, and then swing my legs around and in. That minimized the wear to that bolster.

Unfortunately, it appears that Dynamix is no longer in business. I found this vendor on Ebay.UK and their product appears to be similar. Contact them to see if they can provide an exact color match.

https://ebay.us/XxB5xm

Old 09-17-2021, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

My reasoning is that anything which would soak into cracks in the coating would therefore work underneath the topcoat and erode it from beneath. Anyone had a piece of that crappy MDF board on virtually all cheap furniture??? If a person was to develop a break in the top layer (scratch, nick, crack, gouge) and then get a liquid on it, the "wood" underneath soaks up the liquid and swells, which poofs up the surface and delaminates the topcoat.
I'm all for putting a new layer of color-match dye on it, as long as that dye also has a sealing agent with it.