XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Best quality and sounding Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,299 Likes on 894 Posts

I'll see how I go tomorrow - giving it a boot standing still, it sounds pretty much the same as it did before, though a little more manic. But when you are driving, it gets more of a howl to it. One of my partners lives near the track that they use for the V8 supercars, he reckons it sounds identical. I'll try to get a clip if I get the road to myself.

The exhaust guys say it is all reversible.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at exhaust systems for a bit now and was considering having one put together based off my experience with my Cobra and the sound I'm looking for. However, I have to say that the Quicksilver sounds really nice.

I'd love to see more quality video examples of an "Active" exhaust option since it would be nice to keep that feature intact, but I'd keep the OEM exhaust to swap out if desired later.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraCommander
I've been looking at exhaust systems for a bit now and was considering having one put together based off my experience with my Cobra and the sound I'm looking for. However, I have to say that the Quicksilver sounds really nice.

I'd love to see more quality video examples of an "Active" exhaust option since it would be nice to keep that feature intact, but I'd keep the OEM exhaust to swap out if desired later.

Hi,
It's interesting you make reference to the sound of your cobra, as I fab'd my E-Type's exhaust based on the same rumbly sound. I made these as a test and later went with them. The sound would make "Harley Davidson" proud.
I too am liking the QuickSilver sound.
Being new to these XKs, I don't yet know the terms "active" and "non-active" exhaust?

Attached Thumbnails Best quality and sounding Exhaust-jag-muffs-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
bfarrell (07-07-2021)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

The reason you are missing the blap blap is because you put the x pipe on. Mine is as good and are as the S. The x pipe cleans up and evens the sound.

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
This week I had the resonators removed and a cross pipe put in. My impressions are that I didn't notice the difference on start up, but then the burble on idle and at low speeds is noticeably louder. It is also a lot louder accelerating within acceptable speeds, but it doesn't so much have the "blap blap blap" noise that I liked pre-mod. It does sound wicked though, a real howl. There is no drone at all at cruising speed (110kph - about 60mph) but there is a little drone if it is in 6th at say 90kph. The drone disappears if I drop it down a gear. All told, a great result. What I wanted was quality sound at acceptable speeds, and that is what I got. The guys at Jag who organised it for me say that it sounds nearly as good as the XKR-S, I expect the slight difference is because the tail pipes are different.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

hmmm, may try to take the x-pipe out of mine. The dynamic exhaust has an x-pipe in it. See if I can get some of the burps and gurgles back.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Hi,
It's interesting you make reference to the sound of your cobra, as I fab'd my E-Type's exhaust based on the same rumbly sound. I made these as a test and later went with them. The sound would make "Harley Davidson" proud.
I too am liking the QuickSilver sound.
Being new to these XKs, I don't yet know the terms "active" and "non-active" exhaust?
The Active exhaust is simply a valve that opens up the exhaust for louder sound over a certain RPM range or mode such as Dynamic or Sport. This gives you a quiet sound around town and more aggressive sound when required.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds best IMHO
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ek-cats-74538/

I believe its just Milltek HFCs with stock cat back. I love it!

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (03-27-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, different blap blap blap sound. I meant the throbbing sound on acceleration,rather than the coughing and farting on deceleration and shifting. It still gets that, though maybe not as much.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I sent an inquiry to Quicksilver earlier this morning. Received a qwik courteous reply with a quote for a complete system for an '08 XKR. $1680 delivered to MD.
Their model JR298S. This is pretty reasonable. I like their sound too. Fabspeed is about 90 miles north. I'm to send them an inquiry, but, need a vid of the sound as well.
Happy Trails....but not today....?
Hi RedRider48, could you please confirm that the price QuickSilver quoted you was in dollars and not pounds sterling? I just wrote to them, and they did reply quickly, but the reply was for the full list price they show on their site. GBP 1580.00 !!

Thanks,
Rick

Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rickross
Hi RedRider48, could you please confirm that the price QuickSilver quoted you was in dollars and not pounds sterling? I just wrote to them, and they did reply quickly, but the reply was for the full list price they show on their site. GBP 1580.00 !!

Thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick,
Yes I see what you mean, their site list's it as you posted. I tried to find my original email reply, but, no luck there. Current conversion is $2626.82 minus shipping. I sent them inquiry as to estimated shipping costs.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi,
Here's the post I received from Quicksilver....

"This QuickSilver system is GBP 1680.00 Pounds including FedEx delivery to you in Maryland.

We have this in stock."

You could order directly from us or from Eurotoys in Elgin IL > Michael Werner > sales@eurotoysltd.com

Best regards

Paul Goddard

QuickSilver Exhausts Ltd
7 Towergate Business Centre

Coopers Place

Wormley

GU8 5SZ

United Kingdom

Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

To Rick....
I apologize for the excitement my post may have caused. It seems, I miss-read the original post.
Happy Motoring.....

Old 03-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

To Rick....
I apologize for the excitement my post may have caused. It seems, I miss-read the original post.
No need for apology at all, Ken! I just wanted to make sure I had the details right before deciding what to do about the exhaust system on my 2014 XKR. If Quicksilver had been available for the lower price it would have been a more viable option.

Having spent some hours researching the options and weighed the data, I think I'll go with a custom X-pipe to transform my XKR exhaust into something that more closely resembles the XKR-S exhaust. The XKR-S sounds great, and when we put the XKR up on a lift yesterday it was clear that the segment with the resonators can simply be unbolted and replaced with a new X-pipe segment.

It should be simple, affordable and yield good results. If I don't like it I'll try something else.

Best,
Rick

Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rickross
No need for apology at all, Ken! I just wanted to make sure I had the details right before deciding what to do about the exhaust system on my 2014 XKR. If Quicksilver had been available for the lower price it would have been a more viable option.

Having spent some hours researching the options and weighed the data, I think I'll go with a custom X-pipe to transform my XKR exhaust into something that more closely resembles the XKR-S exhaust. The XKR-S sounds great, and when we put the XKR up on a lift yesterday it was clear that the segment with the resonators can simply be unbolted and replaced with a new X-pipe segment.

It should be simple, affordable and yield good results. If I don't like it I'll try something else.

Best,
Rick

Hey Rick,

I too, thought about the "X" installation as a first step. Have you ordered the "X"? If so, can you post from whom you purchased?
Happy trails....

Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

We've had rain all week so I havent been able to get the sound clip of my car with the x pipe installed. But I chatted to the muffler guys, and between what they said and what I have observed, I think that it is the resonators that help put in the V8 throb in the sound of the car. The sound without them is significantly different - there is still a rumble but instead of it being a throb while you accelerate, it is more of a howl. It is a little bit like a lambo or even one of the v12 Benzes.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 PM
Received 198 Likes on 115 Posts

Anyone have a tuning map for the quicksilver supersport (straight pipe) exhaust system?

I really want a tune, as I feel like I lost significant torque after removing my rear box.

I have an X pipe and a custom straight pipe exactly like the quicksilver.

the sound is really exactly what I want, but I know I lost mid-range power..

I'm willing to pay for a proper map!

Last edited by trkyam; 07-26-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:58 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
Anyone have a tuning map for the quicksilver supersport (straight pipe) exhaust system?

I really want a tune, as I feel like I lost significant torque after removing my rear box.

I have an X pipe and a custom straight pipe exactly like the quicksilver.

the sound is really exactly what I want, but I know I lost mid-range power..

I'm willing to pay for a proper map!
Same thing happened to me after installing my Larini exhaust.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:25 AM
Received 198 Likes on 115 Posts

Which Larini exhaust do you have? I'm suprised, I thought a "tuned" exhaust system wouldn't have this problem.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by tarokyama
Which Larini exhaust do you have? I'm suprised, I thought a "tuned" exhaust system wouldn't have this problem.

Club sport

Old 07-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Any free flow exhaust will affect your low end torque. You need to have your ECU tuned to compensate for it.

Quick Reply: Best quality and sounding Exhaust