XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

blacked out my side emblems and front bezels

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 05:35 PM
Received 108 Likes on 51 Posts
Default blacked out my side emblems and front bezels

Hey guys. 2013 xkr. I never liked the bright side and front bezels in chrome and it was strange because the car has the factory black pack. I thought about getting them hydrodipped. That was eliminated because they can only water dip a pattern and I wanted a gloss black look to them. Getting them wrapped was crossed off because they wouldn't be able to get the wrap into the tiny letters that spell out jaguar. Jaguar wants $600 for the 4 black pieces brand new. Impossible to find used black ones..So i decided to rattle can it. But i used some great products and the results are great. Removing the front bezels is simple. Just remove the wheels and liner and reach in and push the tabs and they fall out. Put a towel on the ground. You don't want the tabs breaking off them when they fall. The side emblems were tough. They are designed so they can only be removed from the inside. If you pry them off from the outside, they will break apart. So, i had to reach inside the fender with a needle nose pliers and push the tabs together. These tabs have a unique shape and are not available anywhere so don't break or lose them. There are 4 on each side emblem. The passenger side is tougher because the washer reservoir has to be moved out of the way. Heres a photo of the chrome pieces removed. They were in good condition I just felt like black would suit them better.

Next I had to sand the chrome down so primer would adhere. This took a while because the plating is surprisingly thick. After that I sprayed 2 coats using rattle can Spraymax 2K primer. It has a hardener that is released when the red knob is pushed in on the bottom of the can. It can only be used for 48 hours after its pushed in. The can costs $30 but it worth it.

After this i sprayed 5 coats of semi gloss paint and let each coat dry for a day. Then i used 500 grit, 1500 and finally 3000 grit to get a smooth finish. Then a final coat of paint. Next I used Spraymax 2k clear glamour. This stuff is really impressive and it has the hardener released using the red button as well. $30. Seems like i had to hold the can about 6 inches away to get the best finish. Heres what they looked like when completely done. Don't know why i took a photo of them on my placemats on my kitchen table..

Heres 2 photos of them on the car. They simply click back in. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Glossy smooth finish. Time will tell if it holds up to rock chips and UV. The toughest part was removing the side emblems as there is very little access room.

The following 4 users liked this post by racerxf12004:
3cylndr (07-21-2023), kj07xk (07-16-2023), steve_k_xk (07-16-2023), V7Sport (07-16-2023)