XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 02:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Problem playing USB music in XKs - RESOLVED

So, I got the 32GB USB drive to play. But the songs were in folders (Bands) and when I choose "Mix" as an option.. it only mixes songs in the current folder. So, Can only listen to the one Band (folder) at a time. I then put all the songs "loose" into the root folder. And tried again. Now, I can mix all my songs and it sounds great. But I will never be able to find a song or songs I want to play if I want a particular song, because they are a horrible mish mash on the disc. They are sorted by song number (it was part of the name of the song) and then alphabeticly. So, you would have to know the position the song was on the album (disc lol) and the name, then you might be able to find it. But not while driving. Just for future reference I used a sandisk cruiser, because it is the smallist (in physical size) USB drive I could find. I tried my 64GB drive which works in the Wifes 2016 XF, but it would not work in the 2014 XKR. They are both formatted to FAT32 and all songs are in the root drive (in the 32GB) so I can mix all my songs. You can use folders if you want to be able to find a certain band or album. i can use folder in the XF and it will mix all songs plus you can still find a song you want. Bit Rate on most (over 3000) songs was 320, with a few lower bit rates mixed in. Hope this helps in future if someone is trying to get their XKs USB working.

Last edited by Vistacom1; 10-28-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: add info. title
Old 10-28-2021, 10:45 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Vistacom1
So, I got the 32GB USB drive to play. But the songs were in folders (Bands) and when I choose "Mix" as an option.. it only mixes songs in the current folder. So, Can only listen to the one Band (folder) at a time. I then put all the songs "loose" into the root folder. And tried again. Now, I can mix all my songs and it sounds great. But I will never be able to find a song or songs I want to play if I want a particular song, because they are a horrible mish mash on the disc. They are sorted by song number (it was part of the name of the song) and then alphabeticly. So, you would have to know the position the song was on the album (disc lol) and the name, then you might be able to find it. But not while driving. Just for future reference I used a sandisk cruiser, because it is the smallist (in physical size) USB drive I could find. I tried my 64GB drive which works in the Wifes 2016 XF, but it would not work in the 2014 XKR. They are both formatted to FAT32 and all songs are in the root drive (in the 32GB) so I can mix all my songs. You can use folders if you want to be able to find a certain band or album. i can use folder in the XF and it will mix all songs plus you can still find a song you want. Bit Rate on most (over 3000) songs was 320, with a few lower bit rates mixed in. Hope this helps in future if someone is trying to get their XKs USB working.
You can rename the songs and change the numbering, that is what I did. It is not ideal, but at least I got my songs groups together.

The following users liked this post:
Vistacom1 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:03 PM

Thanks, Sounds like a project for a Rainy or Snowy day.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:58 PM
Default USB Music setup that works

Quick Update about USB portable Audio playback in an XK:
I now have a 64GB USB stick holding over 7000 songs in folders by Artist mixing all songs randomly and I can scoll by Artist to find individual albums or songs. After I figured out how to mix all songs (just hold the mix button longer). I checked to book to see if they said how to do it, and it was there. It wasn't in the USB instuctions, it was under the ipod instructions but it works the same. Something that isn't in the book is a little bit about the (artist, album, genre and song title) info arrow. If you hold it for about 5 seconds it seemed, it will display a box with all the song info (Track number, song title, Album title, Artist, and music genre) all at once and you don't have to scroll through it 10 letters at a time. Of course in the photo it didn't work without a glitch... The genre is not "17"

So, to summerize USB music setup that works in 2014 XK and should in all post face lift XKs and possibly all XKs because I believe I read here all XK model years have the same audio system with no real changes since '07.
1) 64GB Gorilla USB stick. I read on this forum that the Gorilla works well in our cars with their electrical quirks (It is "RUGGEDIZED" LOL) I also found a cap for a gorilla drive in the car when I bought it, I thought the previous owner must have used one. So I decided to try one. It docks very quickly even with 7K+ songs on it. I wish I could get my SanDisk Micro USB to work as well.
2) formatted to Fat32
3) Bit rates are mixed but most of the songs are 320kbps (Book says "at least" 192kbps)
4) Songs are arranged in folders by Artist then Album.
Seems simple enough, I guess i made it harder than it needed to be.

Still can't get Ipod connection to work with a bovee or a 4th gen ipod touch I bought and loaded one song on to just to test the connection. No sound but ipod charges and it and bovee both seem to connect audio. If I have music playing out of the ipod speakers and connect the cable the sound stops coming out of the speaker. and the same with the phone I have connected to the bovee. So, it is the cord ( i have tried 3 diferent ones) or the connector in the console. But the USB works so all is good enough. Thanks to everyone (Cee Jay) for their help in figuring this out.

Last edited by Vistacom1; 11-15-2021 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Wow, sorry dude, I though everyone knew that trick.
Glad you got it going!