XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bluetooth Module - apparently dead (RESOLVED)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 01:41 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bluetooth Module - apparently dead (RESOLVED)

The phone module in our 2007 XK apparently is dead.
This is the only page that comes up on the touchscreen, and hitting the YES button does nothing.
The shop we bought the car from is looking for a remanufactured module with no success.
Wondering if someone here has one available, or perhaps has a way to check if the module can be reset.

Last edited by GGG; 03-03-2022 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 02-19-2022, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

You could try a Vehicle Hard Reset first, but the module is probably toast. Disconnect both Positive and Negative battery cables in the boot, then hold the cables together for a minute or so. Do NOT involve the car battery at all when doing this!
If that doesn't work, look for a part either from eBay, or from a Breaker's yard (such as Pacific Motors).
We also have sponsored companies, you could try them out first.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:12 PM

Thanks CeeJay

I did try a soft reset, disconnecting the negative cable to try and reset the stuck tach needle.
I'll give the full reboot a try, but I tend to think the module is toast too.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:41 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

my research from 2018 for my 2007:

To B07046: C2P11342 (6W83-10D893-AE)

B07047 to B15111: C2P12058 (6W83-10D893-AF)

B15112 to B27986: C2P14821 (6W83-10D893-AG)

B27987 to B32752: C2P17620 (9W83-10D893-AA)

B32753 to B36862: C2P20239 (9W83-10D893-AB)

B07046: C2P11342 (6W83-10D893-AE)

B07047 to B15111: C2P12058 (6W83-10D893-AF)

B15112 to B27986: C2P14821 (6W83-10D893-AG)

B27987 to B32752: C2P17620 (9W83-10D893-AA)

B32753 to B36862: C2P20239 (9W83-10D893-AB)

B49386 (2013 xk) onward: ??????? (9W83-10F845-AA)

latest?: 9W83-10F845-AA

bought a 9W83-10F845-AA off eBay for $300. Took about 90 minutes to swap (mostly due to my fat fingers having issues getting to bolts). Seems to have resolved the no response I was getting from my original 6W83-10D893-AE.

Using my iPhone7, no phonebook or battery meter, but I do get signal strength. Most importantly, I can answer an incoming call now.

Last edited by dsd; 02-19-2022 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (03-04-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I'll sell mine from 2008

Old 02-19-2022, 11:19 PM
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought a used one from a fellow board member...name escapes me...but he is in Australia and has a shop there. Someone else here might have his/their name handy.

BTW, I went through this as well. When those modules go...they go. Get the latest version you can find. Also, be sure your wireless antenna works too. I have a spare somewhere if you need it.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:01 AM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

The BTM with remote antenna is specific to the XK/R and narrows part availability significantly.
However, modules with the internal antenna work just fine. IDS/SDD will detect the missing antenna but it's not an operational problem.
Modules from Volvo, Astin-Martin and other Jaguars will work as long as the FCC ID is LHJ89FT7024.
The difference internally is the location of two micro-resistors and the absence of the Fakra antenna jack.
I've purchased a few of the jacks and plan to retrofit but that project is back-burner right now because the module works fine using the internal antenna.
If you are going to toss the defective unit once replaced, please send it my way. I'm hoping to learn how to repair and put them back into circulation.
I'll pay postage within the continental USA.

Best regards,
Bill

ralphwg (02-21-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
You could try a Vehicle Hard Reset first, but the module is probably toast. Disconnect both Positive and Negative battery cables in the boot, then hold the cables together for a minute or so. Do NOT involve the car battery at all when doing this!
As expected, no luck with the hard reset

Originally Posted by Bill400
The BTM with remote antenna is specific to the XK/R and narrows part availability significantly.
However, modules with the internal antenna work just fine. IDS/SDD will detect the missing antenna but it's not an operational problem.
Modules from Volvo, Astin-Martin and other Jaguars will work as long as the FCC ID is LHJ89FT7024.
Thanks Bill. I'll be checking with my used Volvo parts suppliers tomorrow.
Tasca has a new module for our 2015 V60 for $275. Hoping the FCC ID is a match.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:11 PM
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

The difference internally is the location of two micro-resistors and the absence of the Fakra antenna jack.
I've purchased a few of the jacks and plan to retrofit but that project is back-burner right now because the module works fine using the internal antenna.
If you are going to toss the defective unit once replaced, please send it my way. I'm hoping to learn how to repair and put them back into circulation.
I'll pay postage within the continental USA.

Best regards,
Bill
Bill -

This is what makes forums like these so great. Your knowledge (and willingness to share) is why I come here to read up on repair and performance ideas.

Edit:

I have been trying to educate myself on this opportunity to upgrade my bluetooth (I have latest module from what I can tell...but am curious if there is a more powerful, better module using internal antenna. Though I do wonder if that bulkhead with all the electronics on one side ould create an issue.)

As to your comments on FCC ID-specific modules...it seems to me I would need to find a module that uses the MOST system and have otherwise the same connector for power. I could just ignore the FAKRA port. Is it safe to say that many cars of this era use the MOST system? Do I really need the MOST system (i.e. can we throw a loop connector on there and bypass it?)

If we need the MOST system, am curious if a 2014 (for us USA owners) that hasn't made the jump to the next technology would work?

Thank you.

MB

Last edited by Speedmaster; 02-21-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I
Originally Posted by Hockey_Steve
The phone module in our 2007 XK apparently is dead. .....
We don't have many rules on the forum but ADVERTISING (FS, WTB and WTT) is one of them. We hardly make a secret of it:

Unusually, I wasn't on the forum yesterday or the thread would have been DELETED. As it stands, I've changed the title and ONLY because it is developing into a technical discussion.

Graham

Old 02-21-2022, 10:16 AM

Sorry Graham.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I didn't realize WTB would be considered an advert.

The Volvo forums that I've been on for years have parts subforums where we post WTB and for sale requests.

GGG (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 10:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey_Steve
Sorry Graham.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I didn't realize WTB would be considered an advert.

The Volvo forums that I've been on for years have parts subforums where we post WTB and for sale requests.
Steve,

Briefly, the reason we restrict all advertising to MARKETPLACE forum is because members can close threads there. Threads/Posts in MODEL forums stay there forever and members were getting annoyed still being contacted about vehicles and parts months and years after a sale or purchase had been completed.

As I posted earlier, the thread is developing into more of a technical discussion and I'm sure you would prefer to find a fix rather than fitting a replacement unit.

Graham

Old 02-23-2022, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

So for the last several months my bluetooth module has not been working or at least I can't connect my Samsung phone (which has been paired for several years) could not be recognized nor paired. I have searched high and wide trying to find a replacement from Jaguar dealership parts departments to ebay and everything in between with no success. When it first happened, I had read a post on the forums that said that it was sometimes just dirty connections, so I pulled each of the three sets of plugs or jacks, cleaned them off and plugged them back in, and lo and behold, it started working again. FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES! I did the same thing several times but no luck, since the initial try. On Friday of last week, I decided to call a Jaguar dismantler that is about 10 minutes from my house. I gave them the part number of the latest bluetooth module that was put on 2013-15 XKs. They said they had it and I could pick it up early Monday morning. I was there when they opened at 8am and after a few minutes they produced one that looked similar to mine but had different beginning numbers which they said was due to it coming from an XF. But when I looked at the connections, there were only 2 plug in type connectors and not the third round one that is the left most connector. I explained that to them and after about another ten minutes they produced one they said came off of a 2008 XK. Sure enough, it had the two plug type connectors and the round one. I was very busy the rest of the day and Tuesday, so when I went out early this morning, took out my existing module and tried to plug the "new" one in, I discovered that while the large right plug went it perfectly, and the round left hand plug was perfect, the center large rectangular plug was a different shape than my original and would not plug in. i went back to the dismantler with my original removed and the one they gave me, and showed them the difference, and they sent an employee to their yard to look for one like the original. After about 30 minutes, they came back and told me they didn't have one. Instead of asking for a refund, I asked them if they could get one for me, and the answer was, "of course." I asked how long it would take, and they said about 3 days. I've waited three months, three days longer didn't bother me. When I went back out to my car, I re-installed my original because even though I couldn't connect my phone, if the bluetooth module is not installed, you lose your screen altogether, it just stays black and does not turn on, so no radio, no HVAC, no steering wheel heater or heated seats, etc. As I got back into my car, I was surprised to find that my phone automatically paired and was fully functional again! I figured it would last a minute or two and then repeat what happened several months ago. However, I drove around all day today, and it has continued to work each time. I have decided I'm still going to wait for another one and not ask for a refund so that I can either keep it as a backup since I believe they will be nearly impossible to get in the future or if mine keeps working for a few days, I could offer it to someone else on the forum who has had similar bluetooth problems with theirs. I paid $200 which I thought was reasonable considering I saw some that were six times that price, if I wanted to wait with no guarantee that it would ever come. So, if anyone with a 2010 or newer XK/XKR needs a bluetooth module replacement, I should have another in a few days assuming mine keeps working. Obviously, I will test it on my car first, but if I can help someone out, it would be my pleasure.

I'll post again after I receive it and if anyone wants it, just PM me and I'll get it out.

Sean W (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Ted, kind of you to offer up for the forum if they find a need but just a quick add on to your comments regarding the failure of a module. You can simply unplug to MOST connector and connect a bypass loop and the rest of your center stack functions will be there. No longer an issue for you but for anyone waiting on a used one, bypass the module with one of these:

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-23-2022, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Sean,
That would have been good to know. I had found a company in New York that rebuilds any king of module and has a 1-2 day turnaround, but by the time you ship in both directions from the west coast, you've lost at least a week. And I didn't think I wanted to be without the ability to turn on anything for a week. Had I know about this, I would have sent mine. At $350.00 plus shipping in both directions, I probably saved half even if I don't end up needing it. Thanks for the information.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Whereas my bluetooth worked all day yesterday, and early this morning, it has now stopped working again, and no matter how many times i unplug and then plug the module back in, it won't recognize my phone. I will wait for the replacement one to arrive and try it, and if it works I will probably send my old one to the vendor in New York that fixes them anyway. We'll see what happens.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:37 AM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmaster
Bill -

This is what makes forums like these so great. Your knowledge (and willingness to share) is why I come here to read up on repair and performance ideas.

Edit:

I have been trying to educate myself on this opportunity to upgrade my bluetooth (I have latest module from what I can tell...but am curious if there is a more powerful, better module using internal antenna. Though I do wonder if that bulkhead with all the electronics on one side could create an issue.)

As to your comments on FCC ID-specific modules...it seems to me I would need to find a module that uses the MOST system and have otherwise the same connector for power. I could just ignore the FAKRA port. Is it safe to say that many cars of this era use the MOST system? Do I really need the MOST system (i.e. can we throw a loop connector on there and bypass it?)

If we need the MOST system, am curious if a 2014 (for us USA owners) that hasn't made the jump to the next technology would work?

Thank you.

MB
The FCC ID means that the electronic circuit (board) is exactly the same as tested. Peripherals, such as external antenna in our case, are allowed to deviate without further testing.
Different connectors could be allowed by FCC without further testing, but I found that the Astin-Martin and Volvo modules that I purchased all used the same TE 929053-1.
It makes sense that the same module, produced for Ford's Premier Automotive Group on the same production lines, would be the same as a cost saving feature.
If anyone finds an LHJ89FT7024 module with a different Quad Loc connector, please provide details (make/model/PN) in this thread.

The LHJ89FT7024 modules all use Media Oriented System Transport (MOST) to optically convey the data to other devices on the MOST network. So, the Bluetooth module won't "work" without the optical connected.

The remote antenna was likely added to address the bulk-head signal integrity concern. I was planning to add the antenna Fakra connector but haven't done it yet as the module appears to work fine without it.

When troubleshooting our electronic control systems (not just the Bluetooth module), it is a good to remember that we have modules talking to modules, each with its own layers of software talking to other layers of software. Glitches often go unnoticed but occasionally there is a hang-up that requires a reset. Disconnecting the battery, terminal based "rectification" or removing a module from the system for an extended period may provide the necessary reset. Simply put, we may need to return the computer program pointer to "start" so the software/program can find its way.

Best regards,
Bill

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TE Quad Loc ENG_CD_929053_C.pdf (117.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Bill400; 02-24-2022 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add more BS
Hockey_Steve (03-02-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 11:58 AM

I have a used module from a Volvo (our favorite marque) on its way from Denver.
It's supposed to arrive on Monday.
{Fingers crossed}

Old 03-02-2022, 11:53 AM

Modules from Volvo, Aston-Martin and other Jaguars will work as long as the FCC ID is LHJ89FT7024.
SUCCESS!

The Volvo module works. I'm able to call and receive calls. The only issue is that I haven't been able to download my contacts from the Galaxy S20, but it will be easier to "Hey Google" and "call XXX"
I looked at trying to remove the old module, but I couldn't see a way to get to the bolt in the back right, so I used some 3M tape and secured the new module on top of the module stack.

Thanks Bill. As Speedmaster said, the sharing of info is what makes this forum (and others) so great.

Cheers

Last edited by Hockey_Steve; 03-02-2022 at 11:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hockey_Steve:
GGG (03-03-2022), kj07xk (03-02-2022), V7Sport (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

@Hockey_Steve , can you throw in a Volvo Part number please?

guy (03-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Module - apparently dead (RESOLVED)