XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bluetooth Module - apparently dead (RESOLVED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 04:01 PM
Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts

Dear All:
I am experiencing something very similar with my 2008 XKR now. My iPhone used to connect via BT and do everything expected. Now (since two days);it does so after the start of a trip, only to disable function after function after a while. Finally, only direct number entry works… disconnecting and pairing again doesn’t help.
… any advice?
KR
Hans

Old 03-03-2022, 05:55 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Hans,
Your BTM degradation issue sounds like software rather than hardware. Try one of the reset methods recommended earlier in this thread.
Alternatively, unplug (and leave unplugged) the quad Loc connector. The necessary time to effect "reset" seems to vary. If the module works after a brief disconnect, great!
If not, try an extended period of disconnect (over-night?).
If simple "reset" doesn't work, your module may be a candidate for a software update. If your 2008 model TPM software has never been updated, you may be amazed at the improvement.

Best regards,
Bill

Old 03-04-2022, 08:23 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
@Hockey_Steve , can you throw in a Volvo Part number please?
Sean
I don't have the part number.

If you check Bill400's post earlier (post #7) he said "Modules from Volvo, Astin-Martin and other Jaguars will work as long as the FCC ID is LHJ89FT7024."

I did a search for "Volvo BT module" on eBay and found one with the correct FCC # that should be printed on the module label.

I believe the modules are generic to most earlier Volvo models

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 01:57 PM

A cursory look turned up a few parts numbers with the FCC ID LHJ89FT724:

Volvo S40 30752875
Volvo C70 31282349
Aston-Martin 31282349
XF 7G9N-10D893-AF
LR & XF AX23-10F845-AA
The 7G9N part number appears to be a FoMoCo format that implies a 2007 original design for the G9 product line. Appears to be Land/Range Rover.

For those interested in striving for the latest production, I recommend looking at the label, typically lower right-hand corner.
The production date is given as YYYYMMDD.
However, the software on an older unit may have been updated and if not, can be updated using SDD or by the dealer.
Internally, the circuit boards and parts are identical. Production dates on chips are newer (remain same part numbers) on newer (but unchanged) boards.
So, the "revisions" from AA to AG may be the software provided from the factory. Just a guess, though.

Last edited by Bill400; 03-04-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Sean W (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400
A cursory look turned up a few parts numbers with the FCC ID LHJ89FT724:

Aston-Martin 31282349
It is interesting that you mention that because that module is listed as compatible with my 2011 Aston Martin but I was pleased to find out after I bought the car that the Bluetooth module had been upgraded to one that was introduced later that supported streaming audio as well as phone so I wonder what would happen if you plugged one of those in to the Jag?

Presumably it would need an upgrade to the touch screen firmware to take advantage of the new features but it would be interesting to try.

"The new system brings a comprehensive series of updates and new features including:

Bluetooth
•Introduction of Bluetooth audio streaming, allowing music to be played wirelessly through the car audio system
•Compatibility with the latest smartphones, including Apple, Android, Windows and Blackberry
•Larger phonebook access – 2500 contacts, up from 750 previously
•Fast scroll –the tone rotary controller can be used to quickly scroll though phonebook contacts by first letter or through tracks during audio streaming
•Two call handling, giving the opportunity to switch to a new incoming call during an existing one
•Full call list synchronisation, making the most recent missed calls, received calls and recently dialed numbers available on the display screen
•Phonebook synchronisation, ensuring a complete update of stored contacts each time the phone connects via Bluetooth
•Updated phonebook symbols to distinguish between home, work and mobile numbers saved against a contact
•Microphone gain – sensitivity is now adjustable to allow for different phones and driving scenarios
•Enhanced privacy – drivers now have the ability to choose whether or not to synchronise or download their mobile contacts on to the system
•Ringtone – volume level is now adjustable
•Access to voice recognition software, such as Siri
•Additional language support

Bluetooth Audio Streaming
In line with the latest 15MY vehicles, the upgrade now offers Bluetooth audio streaming. Using the latest A2DP protocol, the software allows music to be streamed from supporting Bluetooth devices. There is a new “BT” option when source is selected which switches to the Bluetooth device. Track and artist data are also shown on the display screen."

Old 03-05-2022, 08:18 AM
Default Aston-Martin BTM upgrade

Originally Posted by u102768
It is interesting that you mention that because that module is listed as compatible with my 2011 Aston Martin but I was pleased to find out after I bought the car that the Bluetooth module had been upgraded to one that was introduced later that supported streaming audio as well as phone so I wonder what would happen if you plugged one of those in to the Jag?

Presumably it would need an upgrade to the touch screen firmware to take advantage of the new features but it would be interesting to try.

"The new system brings a comprehensive series of updates and new features including:

... Bluetooth Audio Streaming

In line with the latest 15MY vehicles, the upgrade now offers Bluetooth audio streaming. Using the latest A2DP protocol, the software allows music to be streamed from supporting Bluetooth devices. There is a new “BT” option when source is selected which switches to the Bluetooth device. Track and artist data are also shown on the display screen."
VERY interesting! I'll be happy to dig into the module to check out the details.
Please provide the part number. Better yet, a photo of the label if it's not too much trouble.
Also, please post a photo of the touch screen showing access to streaming.

The present method for streaming is a plug-in module via the iPod port. Streaming integrated with the BT module would be an improvement.

Thank you for the sharing and any additional info that you may provide.

Best regards,

Bill

Old 03-05-2022, 08:38 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Can I just say with much respect many of us are probably jealous that your "toy" is a Virage.

Cheers

u102768 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

What initially read like possible spam, now looks to be DIY sticky material. We have part numbers from other manufacturers and a possible upgrade. The part numbers alone make this sticky worthy, no?

Old 03-05-2022, 11:19 AM

Oh my gosh!

A super review of a great car!
I especially liked the proposed hood mounted harpoon option!

Best regards,
Bill

Old 03-06-2022, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member

Please provide the part number. Better yet, a photo of the label if it's not too much trouble.
Also, please post a photo of the touch screen showing access to streaming.
It looks like the part number is FD43-37-10167 at least that is what is currently listed on a spares site and it is under the dash somewhere so I will have a poke around next time I am in it.

This is probably a better video review of the Virage. Shorter, less chat and more shots of the car and sounds of the exhaust.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hockey_Steve
Can I just say with much respect many of us are probably jealous that your "toy" is a Virage.
Thanks, I still have to pinch myself and I hang around in the garage a lot

It is supposed to be my daily driver but unfortunately I started working from home shortly after I bought it so haven't had a chance to use it much. I do try and find excuses to pop out after work though!

Old 03-06-2022, 01:49 PM

u102768,
Ad for referenced Aston-Martin BTM upgrade notes that a new configuration file is required:

https://store.millermotorcars.com/pr...th-upgrade-kit

Please photo the label on the BT module whenever you happen to be poking around there.

Thank you.

Bill

PS: 2014 Aston-Martin BTM on order. Will report results but I don't think that it includes BT streaming.

Last edited by Bill400; 03-07-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:35 AM
Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts

Hans,
Your BTM degradation issue sounds like software rather than hardware. Try one of the reset methods recommended earlier in this thread.
Alternatively, unplug (and leave unplugged) the quad Loc connector. The necessary time to effect "reset" seems to vary. If the module works after a brief disconnect, great!
If not, try an extended period of disconnect (over-night?).
If simple "reset" doesn't work, your module may be a candidate for a software update. If your 2008 model TPM software has never been updated, you may be amazed at the improvement.

Best regards,
Bill
Thanks a lot. Just to report back: after unpairing and pairing again it seems to work again. So a SW issue indeed, and hopefully a minor one only. Weather forecast looks fine, so at least for us in Western Europe (not that close to Ukraine) there is a prospect of enjoying the cat roof down … for a while.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:02 PM
Default Additional Bluetooth module part numbers

Add to the list of plug and play replacement Bluetooth Modules for the XK (2006 (UK)-2015 (US)) with a caveat:

Modules bearing the FCC ID: LHJBPMB1

An examination of the circuit board revealed the same part numbers in the same places on the same (but newer) circuit board.
Only date codes appeared to change. Since the FCC ID changed, something should be different. Possibly a software driven performance enhancement?

Volvo and Aston-Martin part numbers include 31310743.

The BTM tested was from a 2014 Aston-Martin Rapide.
Cost was $40 usd delivered.
Again, this module has no Fakra connector for the external antenna.
Caveat: Due to the lack of remote antenna, it was necessary to hold the phone above head-height to achieve BT connection.
Once connected, however, it worked fine.

This module will be next in line to receive a Fakra antenna connector and resistor transplant.

Will report success and consolidate XK BTM info in a new thread when it works.

Best regards,
Bill

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill400:
fxdwg (03-11-2022), u102768 (03-10-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 09:58 PM
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Bill -

Just had an idea. Why not relocate the module to inside bulkhead, running a MOST "cable" through the firewall. I bet you could use some velcro with dual-sided tape and attach the module to the semi-vertical wall there.

Would that work?

Old 03-12-2022, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Speedmaster
Bill -

Just had an idea. Why not relocate the module to inside bulkhead, running a MOST "cable" through the firewall. I bet you could use some velcro with dual-sided tape and attach the module to the semi-vertical wall there.

Would that work?
Good Idea. That will definitely work.
Extending the MOST optical connections should be relatively easy. However, the wiring harness to the quad connector appears a bit short.
It's doable but will require some effort.
For my money, I plan to move the resistors and add a Fakra antenna connector.
The bonus to replicating the OEM configuration is that SDD will recognize the remote antenna.

best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 03-12-2022 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2024, 04:53 AM

Bluetooth module BTM update: Volvo software for module 31282349 is not recognized by SDD.
Although the Volvo modules are physically (PCB and internal parts) identical, the software part numbers are not native to SDD.
SDD V138 doesn't care and will allow CCF download and module (except BTM) programming.
SDD V147 recognizes the "foreign" software and prevents what it sees as errors. No CCF download.
So, somewhere between V138 and V147, SDD was further "improved" to prevent mistakes.
Folks who want to use an inexpensive Volvo BTM in their XK may do so, plug and play but later versions of SDD may balk.
A work around using the latest SDD to reprogram other modules would be to bypass the MOST connector, temporarily removing the BTM from the system.
Jaguar XF and Land Rover part numbers should be recognized by SDD but still may not "qualify".
Internal antenna BTMs work well and offer excellent cost savings: $28 delivered, 3/21/24 Ebay vs asking hundreds for 6W83-10D893's (from 2007/8 MY).

kj07xk (03-23-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gents:

Am enjoying reading your queries and responses. I too have a BTM issue only as of this year. Am not 100% convinced the unit is pooched, but could be. Am from the Toronto area and Birkshire Automobiles have access to Jaguar's database for S/W updating etc. That said, no luck on the BTM update. I am seeing more and more folks on the Jag forum, FB groups and, XK adverts with the same issue. So, there is a need for a solution.

Would either of you know that a later BT module (say 2020 to 2012) work in a 2007? Am on the hunt for one, but I have no idea if they are compatible and/or if so, will it need some sort of software update?

Cheers and I look forward to feedback. Rick.

Old 06-26-2024, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RickXK3018!
Hello Gents:

Would either of you know that a later BT module (say 2020 to 2012) work in a 2007? Am on the hunt for one, but I have no idea if they are compatible and/or if so, will it need some sort of software update?

Cheers and I look forward to feedback. Rick.
LR & XF: AX23-10F845-AA is the newest JLR BTM. But no external antenna. (Note the FoMoCo part# begins with A which is 10 in hex.)

Our BTM communicates via MOST which was used by JLR through 2015, aprox.
Volvo likely the same. Aston-Martin had an upgrade but it required a vehicle software upgrade that is not available for other makes.

I am currently using a Volvo BTM but read post #37 above before you go that way.

​​​​​​​