XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bluetooth pairing always fails

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bluetooth pairing always fails

Hello everyone!
I'm new here and I cone here with a problem. Every time I try to pair the car with a phone, it nearly instantly informs me "Pairing failed." I'm 99.9% sure it's not a problem with my phone, seeing as I've tried as many as three different types of phones, all with the same result. I'm probably doing something extremely wrong...
Anyway... Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Welcome, this is a great group. You should be able to pickup a lot o knowledge here.

As to the pairing of your mobile to the XK What kinds of mobile are you trying to pair? Also, perhaps you need a software/firmware update. A third thought; go to the Jaguar NA website and click on mobile/cell phone usage and see if your phone is approved for your vehicle. You will need your VIN to do that. There is also the possibility that your mobile phone is corrupted; I had that problem with 3 different Iphone 4S's. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 AM

I've tried to pair my neighbor's iPhone 4, my own Motorola RAZR HD, and my other Windows Phone. I'll look at the firmware update. Once I can get my hands on my VIN I'll look up the Jaguar website. And I'm positive it's not a phone-side problem, as I'm actually a part-time software engineer (hence the nick), and I believe I've done everything possible to make it work from my phone's side.
Thanks for your help.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

I had a tough time getting my HTC One paired with the car. I ended up having to wave the phone around in the area just left of the centre console where the passenger's right knee would be (I have a right-hand drive car) while the car was searching for the phone, or the phone was searching for the car. Sounds bizarre but it worked and now the phone pairs with the car everytime I get in and start it up.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 8bit
I had a tough time getting my HTC One paired with the car. I ended up having to wave the phone around in the area just left of the centre console where the passenger's right knee would be (I have a right-hand drive car) while the car was searching for the phone, or the phone was searching for the car. Sounds bizarre but it worked and now the phone pairs with the car everytime I get in and start it up.
Well, it seems to be able to find my phone quite easily, it's once I try to actually pair it I have issues... But I'm desperate. I'll try what you did while pairing once I can.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Network_Auditor
Well, it seems to be able to find my phone quite easily, it's once I try to actually pair it I have issues... But I'm desperate. I'll try what you did while pairing once I can.
I had the same bug it was the phone not allowing access. Try searching for the phone and on the phone search for the jag. Tell the phone to allow access and it'll move the process forward to a number verification phase.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can play Bluetooth music on the system from phone?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Motorola Phone

I apologies if I am going over old ground, I have read through much of the information on the In Car phone. I have just bought a 2000 XK8 R which has a factory fitted in car phone, Motorola - Star Tac.

I know I will need to buy a duplicate sim card to fit to the phone, but my thoughts are that maybe this aged phone will not have Bluetooth facilities.

I really would like this phone to operate as I want to keep this car as original as possible. I was wondering if anyone out there has this set up and how to get it to operate.

I did put my sim card into the unit but I still could not get the unit to operate.

Thanks John

Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

John, the 2000-era cars didn't have Bluetooth. The phone cradle is hard-wired into the audio system. I'm not sure why the phone doesn't work with a new SIM in it; it may be SIM-locked to a particular network. Does it come up with any network logos when you power it up, or any error messages?

By the way, you may find more expertise on the XK8 part of the forum, since this bit is for the 2006-onwards cars.

XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
Calahonda (10-01-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Have you made sure in your settings on your phone that Bluetooth is in the enabled position. This happens to me on a regular basis when my P.O.S. Samsung Galaxy 3 turns its Bluetooth enabled setting off all by itself. The phone will be recognized but not pair. Sure enough, when I check the phone settings, it has turned itself off. I re-enable it, and it works fine after that.

The following users liked this post:
Calahonda (10-01-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
John, the 2000-era cars didn't have Bluetooth. The phone cradle is hard-wired into the audio system. I'm not sure why the phone doesn't work with a new SIM in it; it may be SIM-locked to a particular network. Does it come up with any network logos when you power it up, or any error messages?

By the way, you may find more expertise on the XK8 part of the forum, since this bit is for the 2006-onwards cars.

Either it is SIM locked OR the phone only takes a 32 k SIM. All SIMs these days are 64 k AFAIK. This is why the wonderful and tiny Nokia 1100 disappeared, it couldn't take a 64 k SIM. Sniff.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:47 PM

Thank you, the unit does come up with the net work with the sim in place but does not seem to allow me to contact, I will keep trying, Thank you again, I realized to late that I was in the wrong part of the forum,

John

Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Hi there
Sorry for delay in response just back from UK after 3 days visit. The phone in the car did come up with a service provider, i.e. Orange, and I could thumb through the contact list , but when I tried to call home, from my drive, no connection. I am going to buy a second Sim card and see what happens, I will investigate the possibility that it is Sim-Locked, thanks for that advise, no error messages, Yet I will keep trying. Thank you again.

John