XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

BMS Reset/Reprogram, Std Wet to AGM Battery Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Error

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-06-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Error

Old 01-06-2021, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

TWO errors and you should be demoted from veteran

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
Cee Jay (01-06-2021), ralphwg (01-07-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

My previous attempts to post the below link resulted in an error when I tested it, so I deleted those posts. Here's the link; if it works for you, that's great. It's from the UK Forum and is an excellent primer about the Battery Monitoring System, authored by Jimbov8 on 1/21/2016. It's worth reading, as the BMS is much more complex than I expected.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...-system.88788/

If it doesn't work, here's Plan B. I copied and pasted Jimbov8's reply:

"Hopefully this will answer some of the questions that come up when referring to charging and where to connect one correctly.
The battery monitoring system module is integral with the battery negative cable and is controlled by the ECM.

If a new battery is fitted to the vehicle, the battery monitoring system module will require re-calibrating using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system.

BATTERY MONITORING SYSTEM
Periodically the battery monitoring system module will instigate a self-calibration routine. To self calibrate, the battery monitoring system first charges the battery to its full condition.
• NOTE: If the vehicle is only driven for short periods the charging process could take a number of days to complete.

Once the battery is fully charged, the battery monitoring system will discharge the battery to approximately 75% of its full state of charge, but never lower than 12.2 V. The time taken to complete this part of the routine is dependent on the electrical load on the vehicle.

When the second part of the routine has been successfully completed, the battery monitoring system will return the battery to its optimum level of charge. The optimum level of charge will be between 12.6 V and 15 V, depending on battery condition, temperature and loading.

The battery monitoring system module also monitors the battery condition with the engine switched off. If a low voltage condition is detected the module can request the infotainment system is switched off to protect battery voltage. Once the infotainment system has been switched off, the vehicle must be run for at least 5 minutes to charge the battery before the infotainment system can be operated with the engine switched off.

The battery monitoring system module measures battery current and voltage, which it communicates to the RJB over a LIN bus connection. The RJB transmits the battery information to the instrument cluster over the medium speed CAN (controller area network) bus. The instrument cluster acts as a gateway between the medium and high speed CAN bus networks, and transmits the battery condition information to the ECM over the high speed CAN bus. Based on the information received from the battery monitoring system module, the ECM will control the output from the generator and request the switching off of electrical loads if necessary.

CAUTION: Due to the self-calibration routine, it is recommended that all power supply diagnostic testing is carried out using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system rather than a digital multimeter.

The battery monitoring system module is able to generate DTC's to help diagnose battery or generator power supply issues. These DTC's can be read using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system. The Jaguar approved diagnostic system can also be used to implement a battery and generator self test routine. For additional information, refer to the Diagnosis and Testing section of the workshop manual.

If a fault is detected, the ECM will override the battery monitoring system module. The battery monitoring system module DTC's can be used to help diagnose battery or generator power supply faults. The DTC's are stored in both the RJB and the ECM. The Jaguar approved diagnostic system has a process for an automated power supply diagnostic procedure. The procedure provides a menu driven process to locate a fault in a logical sequence.

The procedure uses the capability of the battery monitoring system and generator LIN bus controlled functions to provide current flow information and will detect if the battery monitoring system or generator are functioning correctly.

Enjoy"

P.S. I just checked the above link and it works! I decided to leave the quoted text in, just in case the link doesn't work.

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-06-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
DGL (05-30-2021), guy (01-10-2021), LoudHogRider (01-09-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
TWO errors and you should be demoted from veteran
I'm all for that, if it restores my age and health to what it was before I went on active duty!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Sean W (01-06-2021), V7Sport (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I'm all for that, if it restores my age and health to what it was before I went on active duty!
Kinda think he meant "Veteran", as in Veteran Member of Jaguar Forums.
Course, maybe I'm slow on the uptake, and you meant Active Duty, as in Joined the Forum.
I dunno.
I'll shut up now.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

What do I know? I think you're right, but I'm a bit slower now that I traded my XKR for a walker!

Old 01-09-2021, 04:57 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Are their any options to set battery type using SSD (or is it SDD)?
FWIW When I've installed a new battery and run the SDD routine there was no option to choose a battery type.

The following users liked this post:
DGL (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 08:51 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by hafren
FWIW When I've installed a new battery and run the SDD routine there was no option to choose a battery type.

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know. My Autel AP200 went through a battery reset procedure where I was requested to turn on and off the ignition without starting several times and at the end it said successful. This gives me more confidence the Autel AP200 tool performed a similar reset as would be done by taking the car to the Jaguar dealer.