XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bmw powered jaguars

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

Leeper im not against the fact of jaguar moving towards turbo charging , i dislike the idea that particular motor will be built by BMW.

If AMG were to build the motor i would be more inclined to run with the idea

Old 07-28-2016, 02:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 07-28-2016, 04:19 AM
Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Given the UK are now leaving the EU, I wonder if they'll bother to continue with the strict EU emissions legislation. If that was the motivation for this then that may not be a factor going forward.

I realise there are performance and efficiency benefits in turbocharging and I don't deny them, but I personally dislike turbocharged motors. Oh well...

Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I was not a fan of the BMW V8 in our Range Rover. That car ran hot. It could be below freezing and that car was full temperature withing a few minutes! One cooling problem and there's big time trouble.

I don't think it'll hurt either marque much, especially if they both lending expertise in design/development. If anything it'll hurt BMW sales a little. On the fence about owning Jag? Perhaps a BMW built engine will alleviate some of that concern?

Personally, I find the Jag engines to be nicer than anything BMW has currently...

Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the BMW V8 in the Morgan

Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

For every person who knows or cares that the Jaguar has a BMW engine there will be another person who likes the fact that it has a BMW engine. Regardless, the vast majority of people car shopping will have no clue or care at all.

Let's just hope that whatever the design is they improve on the current BMW engine. V8 cylinder is very problematic and the previous generation that I owned was also rife with leaks and failures. The block was solid but every single seal typically fails with m 75000 miles. Valve seals, timing cover and valve cover, coolant transfer pipe (embedded in engine).

Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
again the lack of knowledge, pure hard-headedness, lack of desire to comprehend then accept change, and general inability to wait for facts is amazing... as is sadly the usual case.

How about this idea... instead of grabbing your pitchforks and threatening to stab the witches why not wait to see if the news is real and then wait to see what the final car/engine does, drive it, and make an educated decision? Maybe keep those emotions in check, just an idea
That's why they call this a forum.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 07-28-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,017 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Here's a comparison of the old AMG C63 with the 6.3L N/A V8, vs. the new C63 with the 4.0L TT V8

The old one sounds a million bucks, the new one... my old knackered XJR sounds better...

Mercedes-AMG C63 New vs. Old - RACE & SOUND (60FPS) - YouTube
If the 'old one' is the white one, then yeah, that gets my vote.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Then those whining about "sound"... would you rather go fast or sound fast? The smaller, lighter engines are producing much more hp and torque, much better mpg, much better performance so you're saying you'd rather have a cutesy sound??? You do realize that you can change the exhaust as many do with their v8's right?
These comments are quite ironic given the outcry from the F-Type owners who's cars lost their pops & crackles and the exhaust went quiet after a botched factory software update. Sound is a big part of the experience with these cars, much of personality of the F-Type from behind the wheel is defined by the exhaust sound. That's why a lot of people are happy with the V6 instead of the V8. And you can't "fix it with an aftermarket exhaust" if your car is on lease, can you...

The vast majority who will be the most vocal about the TT change are also those will not be in a position to purchase the new car for their argument falls VERY short anyway.
Hmmm, personal attack? Aimed at anyone in particular?

Maybe keep those emotions in check, just an idea
Perhaps you might heed your own advice too...

Now, let's get back on topic.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I test drove both the SL63 AMG and the M6. I find the AMG motor to be much more refined than the BMW. It had a lot of pops and crackles like the Jag motor. It also had tremendous pulling power in the seat of the pants. The acceleration curve was fairly smooth with the advantage of using a larger motor with smaller turbos. On the other hand the M6 motor was rougher sounding and less refined in general. The engine was not as smooth or polished sounding. Driving it I could clearly feel the turbo lag which I found very annoying and made driving unenjoyable. The result of using a smaller displacement engine with larger turbos. If Jaguar goes this route I will be switching to Aston Martin with an AMG motor.

Last edited by rfr66; 07-28-2016 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cambo (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Cambio

Was not familiar with the issues of the F type nor would it hit my radar as not a fan of that car. I'll venture to guess that the larger V8 engine is outselling the V6 regardless of "sound" people still want more power for their ego, hence another selling/profit point for going TT. Yes there will be a few that will not purchase because of sound but there will be more that are willing to forego that subjective loss for improved efficiency and significant performance gains... as is the result with Porsche and Ferrari. That is not considered a step backwards.

I doubt there's many on this forum that are leasing their cars at this point, that would likely be an extreme minority so moot point about changing the exhaust. You and I both know that you can still still change it then revert back cheap enough if that's ones issue anyway. There's a nice video on YouTube of a F 488 with aftermarket exhaust and it sounds great (as one would expect) so there are options for those who take issue with OEM sound in a turbo engine.

Personal attack against anyone in particular? Not at all, not in any sense. I'm a big boy, not passive-aggressive, if I have an issue with someone (like Snide) I go direct and don't mince words.

Again these same cries about the the sky falling get heard time and time again and are most often proven wrong (see my previous examples will provide more if asked).

Mosesbotbol - why is a car reaching operating temperature quickly a negative to you? (as stated in your previous post)