XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bought a Dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Bought a Dashcam

Just got a dashcam as accidents seems to be on the increase and some crazy driving out there, so should be good to have fitted in case something happens. Anyway i bought an Anytek A88 Dashcam, seems to a nice and easy unit to work with easy features. Fitted a 32GB class 10 card so ready to fit. Instructions are not so user friendly but scrolled through everything and seem to have all sorted just for one thing. There is 4 options for the video looping,
OFF/ 3 minutes / 5 minutes / 10 minutes. As it has the protect file option, which is the best looping function to pick.
Also if anyone has fitted one where did you fit it , under the rear view mirror, on the dash itself or maybe one side of the rear view mirror. I placed it under the mirror and it does sit down very far on the screen. Any views appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Bought a Dashcam-anytec.jpg  
Old 03-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

First - congrats on the dash cam. I have one of the Mini-0806 models and it's a neat thing to have. There are a number of threads on this site regarding dash cams, but one of the most useful I've found is from ShadyJC on his installation of a Valentine V1 radar detector. In that thread found here, he outlined where to pull power from the rear view mirror area, which was super simple to do. It really, really helped eliminate the clutter and my dash cam is virtually invisible to me behind the rear view mirror.

You may have to purchase a "vehicle hard wire kit", which is essentially the power wire that is intended to be run to your fuse box. I used a couple of quick connect clamps and grabbed power from the rear view mirror as outlined in ShadyJC's thread noted above. Easy peasy.

I purchased a couple of really large micro-SD cards (128GB) to go in my dash cam, but I did so for capturing some vacation footage of a trip through the Black Hills/Yellowstone/Tetons that we took in our XK last fall. It's a joy to relive those moments, particularly during the oppressive winter months in the Midwest.

Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (03-10-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 for the dash cam purchase. I put mine just behind the passenger side of the rear view mirror, out of sight to me. The plug runs to the power socket in the glovebox (wire easily tucked behind the headliner and trim pieces) and is always on when the car is on; off when not. Wrt to the loop duration of 3/5/10/off, I set mine to 3 minutes, but 5 or 10 are fine - it simply breaks the video files into 3 min segments and writes them to the card. You may want to consider turning off the G sensor or motion sensor. Sometimes those features are meant for an 'always powered' installation - to power up if someone messes with your car. I have the Spytech A118-C and the one time I got bumped from behind (gently, but still..) I couldn't find that loop on the SD card. Good choice on buying the dashcam.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Just went for a drive to try out this camera and have to say it is pretty good, picture quality is great and no issues to report. I ran the cable as suggested behind the top lining and down behind side pillar , under the glove box and have it connect to the aux socket in the glove box.
Just one thing as the unit switches off when the car is stopped if i had an accident it would stop recording if the vehicle stops (ignition off), obviously it will have saved the incident but is there a function to keep it on to tape anything that may occur after the incident. I know there is a motion sensor when parked, but need live feed for that.