XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Default Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day

My wife's 2008 Buick Enclave has not aged well and that combined with my youngest son's Nissan Altima continuously breaking down motivated me to replace the Enclave for my wife, and hand it over to my son who will be more than happy to continue beating it up. Compared to his Altima, it's like a Rolls Royce. My wife wanted a smaller (than the Enclave) SUV as she starts a second career (after 37 years of professional commercial property management and leasing) helping my daughter open a new craft business and she needs to carry supplies. I wanted to consider an F-Pace but I didn't want to buy a new one and take the depreciation hit, and there just isn't much of a selection of slightly used ones around. My best friend bought a 2018 Audi Q5 about 2 weeks ago, beautiful vehicle, but a base model without things like navigation and other options is still mid-$40,000 range. I like Audis, do not like BMWs or Mercedes and am gun shy of GM products after our Buick experience. I stopped by a local Lincoln dealer and looked at the MKX just to see them in person and inquired if they had any 2016 models left or any used ones with little mileage. They didn't, so I started looking on line at some of the large used car websites. Found some online in different parts of the country and made an offer on a new 2016 which was not accepted and kept looking. I found a car with a little over 5000 miles on it at a dealer near Chicago and after about a week of sending pictures and asking questions made a deal. The car arrived Friday, I hid it for 2 days until today, wrapped the keys in a box and presented it to my wife for Mother's Day. I was a bit nervous because the color which is called Chroma Quartz Silver, looked anywhere from dark grey to tan to light purple in the pictures that were sent to me. My local dealer didn't have color samples of last year's models especially discontinued colors, so I didn't know what to expect. I have bought several cars online, and it's always a bit of a crapshoot. I am happy to say that the car was flawless on arrival (my wife can start abusing it tomorrow), color is very unusual depending on the light source, but beautiful nonetheless, and the interior, a color called Rouge Noir, is a breathtaking cross between brown and plum. This model is called the Black Label Series and came loaded with every option available except for headrest video monitors for back seat viewers. It has electronics that will take me 6 months to learn how to use with Ford's Sync 3 software, has a Revel (by Harmon Kardon) sound system with 19 speakers that puts my home system to shame, parallel parks by itself, has the lane departure warnings, adaptive cruise control, and brakes by itself in case you forget. It has nine suspension setting adjustments, paddle shifters and front seats that adjust 22 ways and have a full massage system that is incredible. And the little 2.7L twin turbo engine puts out 335hp and a lot of torque. As a CPO car, it actually has a better warranty than a new one, has all service paid for four years (I believe), and as a Black Label car, gets free car washes at any Lincoln Black Label dealership for life, a full detail annually for 4 years, loaner car, and a whole host of other goodies. But the best part is the fact that someone else took the $22000 depreciation hit after one year. A well over $67000 stickered (which was included) car was bought for $46000, and you wouldn't know the car from new. Whew! I know it's not a Jag but for those of you looking, it's a heck of a car at the price.

Attached Thumbnails Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-dscf8363.jpg   Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-dscf8362.jpg   Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-dscf8360.jpg   Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-dscf8364.jpg   Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-dscf8365.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

That color combo is gorgeous!

tberg (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Nicely done!

tberg (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Tberg, again, will you adopt me?! Your wife had to have been blown away! Oh, and thanks for this, I made the mistake of reading your post to my wife......not good, just flowers and dinner for Mother's Day. lol

My wife has one too and loves it, though I find I have put most of the miles on it.
Good choice.

tberg (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 334 Likes on 201 Posts

Congrats on the car for your wife. I bought my wife a 2017 Subaru Crosstrek - veryyyy nice vehicle. I am a fan now. It has a beautiful black leather interior with a sharp orange contrasting stitching...looks very nice. The exterior is dessert khaki - very cool retro looking color. The all wheel drive is nice too have as well.

Attached Thumbnails Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-pano-000001.jpg   Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-9e27698dbfaef08a7024c85850967526.jpg  

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 05-15-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Let me know how well the MXK ages. My wifey looked long and hard at them before she finally decided on the Lexus RX 350. Now she notices every MKX in town, still wondering what it'd be like.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

I wish someone had told me it is good to buy the wife a squeezer sized SUV. I made the mistake of buying mine an xk, there is no going back!

Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

makecopies,
When we tried to see the color of the car in pictures, it often looked quite purplish rose, sometimes beige/tan, a once in a while a light charcoal. My wife didn't know that I had completed the deal and had the car shipped, but her last words to me after seeing the pictures were "IF IT HAS ANY PURPLE IN IT, I DON'T WANT IT!!!!!" When it showed up on Friday, it most definitely had a purplish cast in some light, and when I stored it at my friend's house, he said, "Wow, I really like that purple!" I was so nervous that she'd hate the color that I already decided that if I had to I'd either have it wrapped or sell it after one day of ownership, and I proceeded to get the name of a company that wraps cars very reasonably. Then there was the interior which is called Rouge Noir. It is sort of a plum color, but sumptuous and just gorgeous. But again, she didn't want anything with a hint of purple. I couldn't even sleep Saturday night wondering how much she'd hate it. Imagine my utter shock when she went out on Sunday afternoon and said, "I love the color!" And when her walking companions, some of the neighborhood wives heaped praise on the color, she just relished in its glory. Today, she had to call me on getting it started as it has push buttons for shifting the transmission and she had accidentally pushed the reverse button and then tried to start the car. And there are so many features that it will take months to figure them all out. But....she's deliriously happy and she actually, for the first time in her life, told me she looked for parking spaces where nobody would ding her car (as opposed to how many dings can I pick up today?), can you imagine that?!

Last edited by tberg; 05-16-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

micahelodonnel123,
I have a friend who has an orange Subaru, like yours and my cousin has one of the larger Subaru s.u.v.s, and I think they're great and a terrific value.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Well done, it is very nice! Happy wife happy life.

on a side note matthew mcconaughey fully endorses your choice.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Very nice Ted - a great Mother's Day gift. I have one question - what are you going to do for Mother's Day in 2018? Regards,

tberg (05-16-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Cee Jay,
Yesterday, I had to drive up to San Jose to finish an installation. It's about 350 miles give or take, and can usually be done in about four and a half hours on Interstate 5. Unfortunately, there was a terrible fatality accident in front of us that delayed our trip by about 90 minutes. We used that time to treat ourselves to the massage feature of the spectacular front seats while listening to music on the fabulous Revel audio system. I can report that after 700 miles of driving in one day, I couldn't be happier with our purchase.

The one thing that drove me absolutely nuts, was a terrible vibration in the steering wheel over what seemed to be tiny cracks in the pavement or slight turns. It bothered me so much both on the freeway and on surface streets (my wife didn't even notice it in her 4 days of driving it), that I planned on taking it in to the Lincoln dealership's service tomorrow to figure it out. I am happy to report that in thinking about it this morning I reasoned that maybe with all the technology on this car it was a warning system meant to be there. I have read some of the owner's manual, but it's as thick as a telephone book, and I hadn't finished it yet. I looked up lane departure warnings, and sure enough, it's meant to be that way as the front camera picks up the lane stripes or freeway bumps if the car moves toward them, the steering vibrates to warn you. A simple pressing of the button on the end of the turn signal stalk cancels it. I was so happy. The car is great. This morning I washed the approximate 3,000,000 dead bugs splattered across the windshield, hood, front bumper and fascia that engulfed it when I got back last night, no harm, no foul. Looking forward to having the MKX for a long time (I hope).

Attached Thumbnails Bought my wifey a "new" car for Mother's Day-dscf8363.jpg