XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Brake Pad Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

^^ Good cleaning job ^^

I can get them to that while on the car with the right brushes. Getting them totally clean, along with the caliper make them stay clean longer.

Jaguar OEM pads are too dusty though. I read Consumer Reports or the like actually nicked a Jag model for "defect" as the brakes were too dusty. Like that was a fault or something. Just about every car from Europe is dusty like that...

Japanese cars seem to have figured out which pads the consumer would like on their car...

Old 03-18-2016, 08:13 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Explain sure; smart dealer figured out how to get you to pay for a factory defect. Possibly bad handbrake adjustment.

I can tell by the brake and rotor dust what end of the vehicle the brakes are biased. If logic wasnt enough. Its front biased dude. And big time. Look at the difference in the size of the rotors.
Thanks for your response. That makes sense. I just called my dealer and had a big argument over this with the tech. He denied this is a defect and says its normal. He said the larger rotors on the front mean they will last longer than the rear because it has a larger wear surface and he has being doing this for 28 years and knows what he is talking about. He wouldnt offer examples or any proof saying he didn't need to prove anything to me. Do front brakes always wear faster than rears or does it depend on other factors like this tech is saying?

Edit: I called another dealer and spoke to a tech who was there for 30 years. He also said it is normal for the rear brakes on this model year to wear faster than the fronts even though the fronts have larger rotors because the rear pads are thinner than the front pads.

Last edited by rfr66; 03-18-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

The tech has 28 years of experience coming up with excuses for the manufacturer.
There may well be many good reasons that the rears are wearing out faster. But its not because the car is rear-biased, that just cant be. It would be like pulling the handbrake to stop, you know what would happen. There is no weight back there, especially in the corners. Can you imagine going into a corner on a track at 60mph, the weight of the car is 70% on the front, and the wheel is turned, now the rear brakes go on stronger, the back end would totally slide out. Yes I know some of you will say that, it is what happens in a Jag. It would be way worse.

Here is whats going on, he is no engineer, thats why he works on brakes and not design them. The folks who designed them are not giving him the true reason for premature rear brake failure. I have looked into this you are not alone. He was being honest about you needing the repair.

And yes traditionally, fronts wear 2 to 1 to the rears. Hopefully someone here will find the real reason rears are failing faster.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The tech has 28 years of experience coming up with excuses for the manufacturer.
There may well be many good reasons that the rears are wearing out faster. But its not because the car is rear-biased, that just cant be. It would be like pulling the handbrake to stop, you know what would happen. There is no weight back there, especially in the corners. Can you imagine going into a corner on a track at 60mph, the weight of the car is 70% on the front, and the wheel is turned, now the rear brakes go on stronger, the back end would totally slide out. Yes I know some of you will say that, it is what happens in a Jag. It would be way worse.

Here is whats going on, he is no engineer, thats why he works on brakes and not design them. The folks who designed them are not giving him the true reason for premature rear brake failure. I have looked into this you are not alone. He was being honest about you needing the repair.

And yes traditionally, fronts wear 2 to 1 to the rears. Hopefully someone here will find the real reason rears are failing faster.

I totally agree now, that it is not wearing faster due to the bias. Could it just be that rear pads are thinner like he said. Would that be enough to account for it? The dealer also said they dont recommend having brakes done at indie shops because the rear brakes need a computer to disable the parking brake which only the dealer has so they have to go back to the dealer to have it done anyway. Also said ceramics dont work well on this car from poor performance in the rain from being wet. My head is now spinning from too much conflicting information.

Last edited by rfr66; 03-18-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rfr66
I totally agree now, that it is not wearing faster due to the bias. Could it just be that rear pads are thinner like he said. Would that be enough to account for it? The dealer also said they dont recommend having brakes done at indie shops because the rear brakes need a computer to disable the parking brake which only the dealer has so they have to go back to the dealer to have it done anyway. Also said ceramics dont work well on this car from poor performance in the rain from being wet. My head is now spinning from too much conflicting information.
The XJ has the EPB as well. It can be done without a computer, but the key needs to be in the on position to keep the brake from auto setting like it does when the key is removed from the ignition.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I have a solution! Stop calling the dealer. The guy is so full of sh*t his eyes are brown.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

In the 2014 Xkr the brakes are rear biased. The dealer confirmed this. I do not know which year they made this change. I had the rear brake pads changed at 17k miles. I am now at 29k miles and have yet to change the front pads. If this we were a traditional braking bias then the fronts would be wearing faster not the other way around. My rears are wearing twice as fast as the fronts. Would someone care to explain that.
I'm sure you've considered this but your traction control system uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin in the normal and track DSC settings. With the high power output I find it's very easy to engage the system, even on dry roads.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
I'm sure you've considered this but your traction control system uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin in the normal and track DSC settings. With the high power output I find it's very easy to engage the system, even on dry roads.
I haven't considered it but it makes perfect sense in my case. My rear tires are getting bald and the traction control has been going on a lot. Thanks for that info.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I haven't considered it but it makes perfect sense in my case. My rear tires are getting bald and the traction control has been going on a lot. Thanks for that info.
Few things to keep in mind.
The front brakes are definitely used way more than the rear. I dont even get dust on the rear. So why dont you do that clean your wheels- or spray them with white plastidip, available at hardware stores. (it peels off easy) just see if you have more dust on the rear than the front.

I dont even have to clean my rear wheels on most instances.

The ediff uses clutches to disengage the wheel. Thats why its called electronic differential. It may also use the brakes, I dont know. But it primarily uses clutches.

In the old days when we were actually taught to drive cars that had no driver assist, they would say that a good driver never has to use the brakes. Its true.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Truth is, XK rear pads are too small; Jaguar got them from parts bin (jaguar S type saloon) just cheaper I guess.
My rears always have more dust........... but have ceramics (Akabono) in stock; but not needed yet.

Cheers Adrian, '07 XK Coupe

Old 03-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
Truth is, XK rear pads are too small; Jaguar got them from parts bin (jaguar S type saloon)
S-types are a good 300-400 lbs heavier, so that's not it.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
S-types are a good 300-400 lbs heavier, so that's not it.
Not to mention the S-Type (which we've owned) and the LS which have the same pad/rotor design, I've done the brakes on both of them myself and the fronts wore almost twice as fast as the rears on both cars. I'm not sure if the brakes are different for different models, but both of these cars are sport models, which had the larger 17" wheel option.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Torrid
Not to mention the S-Type (which we've owned) and the LS which have the same pad/rotor design, I've done the brakes on both of them myself and the fronts wore almost twice as fast as the rears on both cars. I'm not sure if the brakes are different for different models, but both of these cars are sport models, which had the larger 17" wheel option.
I believe my XJ350 had the same LS brakes. I went with OEM when replacing, they weren't that expensive.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I believe my XJ350 had the same LS brakes. I went with OEM when replacing, they weren't that expensive.
I wish they were the same. I like the design of the LS's better. It only has one pin to line up with the piston off of the back of the pad. The X350 has two and they are small holes. Whoever did my brakes installed them wrong and I had to swap the pads inboard and outboard to make them work. The fit better that way and are quieter but that's not how they are supposed to go.