XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 546 Likes on 348 Posts

I've got the separate e-brake thngy - not sure if that is due to the Alcon package.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:32 AM
Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

I guess we are disussing two different setups now

Changing pads and rotors on these cars is not really any different from any other cars. The Allen key sizes are sometimes not ones that are usually in a basic set, but otherwise easy: Don't put the park brake on and ideally disconnect the battery so that the park brak cannot operate and squash any fingers.

The wear sensors go brittle with time/heat and are not always reusable. A spare in stock before starting is a good plan. Aftermarket ones are so cheap, I would always just replace them with the pad swap.

A good starting point is this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/

The cars with Alcon brakes appear to have an additional caliper. In that case there are two calipers to remove. The rest "should" be the usual procedure.

Last edited by neilr; 03-21-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The E-brake is a big nothing. All you do is NOT set it when you last park. Yes, there is a procedure to set/release/reset the E-brake, but it's really not necessary unless you do something else, like new different rotors or something. Replacing the E-brake pads would also be a time to do it. But, who ever changes those?
Thanks. That is good to hear. The more I'm on this forum, the more encouraged I feel about the car and about doing some of the little stuff myself. I've now heard the car will be delivered on Saturday. I'm genuinely excited to see it and take it for a drive (weather permitting, of course!). Cheers.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 546 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by neilr
I guess we are disussing two different setups now

Changing pads and rotors on these cars is not really any different from any other cars. The Allen key sizes are sometimes not ones that are usually in a basic set, but otherwise easy: Don't put the park brake on and ideally disconnect the battery so that the park brak cannot operate and squash any fingers.

The wear sensors go brittle with time/heat and are not always reusable. A spare in stock before starting is a good plan. Aftermarket ones are so cheap, I would always just replace them with the pad swap.

A good starting point is this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...job-how-85582/

The cars with Alcon brakes appear to have an additional caliper. In that case there are two calipers to remove. The rest "should" be the usual procedure.
Ya, I had to take some pics to see how the brakes were actuated - looks like I can just undo the two torx bolts and remove the outer pad so the rotor can be removed without worrying about any e-brake reset procedure.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:37 AM

I have no experience of the Alcon brakes but I would be looking into what happens when you put a new rotor on. It is thicker than the worn one so the parking brake will probably need some form of resetting anyway. Do you have the workshop manual?

The following users liked this post:
guy (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by neilr
I have no experience of the Alcon brakes but I would be looking into what happens when you put a new rotor on. It is thicker than the worn one so the parking brake will probably need some form of resetting anyway. Do you have the workshop manual?
Since/if the parking brake actuates the main calipers, then that wouldn't make a difference, as all pistons are fully retracted while doing any brake job.
If (I don't know) Alcons have a separate shoe on the rear of the rotor, that wouldn't have any conditions about wear on a disk, as those shoes don't actually WEAR, unless you drive a lot with the E-Brake engaged.
I may be wrong, but it only makes sense.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Since/if the parking brake actuates the main calipers, then that wouldn't make a difference, ...
That's the point! From the photos above and the parts list, the Alcon brakes have a separate parking brake caliper. It looks mechanical and not hydraulic so maybe be just a matter of removing and replacing. I didn't find anything relevant in the workshop manual but I only did a quick scan.