XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Broken rear wheel stud on x150

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken rear wheel stud on x150

Greetings from Ireland, I have just joined up as I am now the proud owner of an XK and an XJ and will need help at some stage in the future.

I tried to search how to replace a broken rear wheel stud on my XK (x150) by going to the Jaguars Modern section and then failed miserably so .....

Can anyone help?

Is it possible to do in situ with a grinder and some swearing
or
Does it all have to come apart to be replaced on the kitchen table before diner
or
Is it a replacement hub assembly (ouch)

Any re-direction would be appreciated to previous threads and ... obviously
advice on how to search this wonderful forum ...

Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome! I am very new too, but I saw this thread and thought it might be of interest to you. So far, I have not had to work on my car, but I am now on my 3rd week of owning it.

Best of luck with yours!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-bolts-145997/

Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Thank you will have a look

Old 06-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs up

Relevant part is a Moog 512540, sourced some pics of the hub assy for reference.

https://www.opticatonline.com/part/m...d-hub-assembly

So, the correct way is to pop the hub off and press the studs out followed by pressing a replacement back through the hub. This is more work to remove the axle from the hub and the hub from the mount. Plus you really need to make sure the axle nut is torqued correctly. You can also drive the stud out once the hub is free by setting the broken stud over a length of pipe or deep well socket and drive directly from the stud through the socket to avoid damaging the bearing.

Not so correct is to drive the stud out and use a stack of washers and a lug nut to draw the new one back through the hub. This works but is hard on the bearings and you may not have enough clearance between the mount and the hub flange to walk the studs out / back in.

Either way the wheel and brake components need moved out of the way. Not a horrible job if you have the space and equipment to do it. It's a 3-4 difficulty to do and will take about an hour or two to complete.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I have replaced other wheel studs but not on my XKR. I suspect it should not be to much different. The studs are pressed in but it is usually not necessary to pull the wheel hub to replace a stud. I used to knock out the old stud with a hammer and punch. You can grind the stud down to the face of the hub and knock it out. You can also drill the stud and then punch it out. There should be enough room to install the new stud from the rear of the hub. By the way we assume you removed the caliper and brake rotor. I also seem to recall there was a tool to pull the new stud through something like a wheel/bearing puller but I have also used a lug nut with washers behind it so I could pull the stud into the hub. Good luck and keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I've done it on many wheels knock old stud out with a punch use a couple of washers to space the stud and use impact wrench or 1/2 inch ratchet to draw stud back into hub use a new nut to put back on the stud

Old 06-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I will come back with my findings.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts

Originally Posted by 110reef
Welcome! I am very new too, but I saw this thread and thought it might be of interest to you. So far, I have not had to work on my car, but I am now on my 3rd week of owning it.

Best of luck with yours!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-bolts-145997/
The above link pertains to the 2-piece lug nuts, not the wheel studs.