XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Buy an XK convertible not used much in 3 years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 789 Posts

Check this out .......

Jaguar XK 2dr Convertible | eBay

A past Fl Jaguar XK.

How about a rare 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible with only 17,600 miles for $42,000...see my signature below.

Outstanding showroom condition. Only 200 of these beauties were imported into the USA....and I have one of them. This probably the best 2009 Jaguar Portfolio Edition available in the USA with such low mileage. I have 34 images of the car. This the Supercharged model XKR.

Last edited by richzak; 06-04-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Check this out .......

Jaguar XK 2dr Convertible | eBay

A past Fl Jaguar XK.

How about a rare 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible with only 17,600 miles for $42,000...see my signature below.

Outstanding showroom condition. Only 200 of these beauties were imported into the USA....and I have one of them. This probably the best 2009 Jaguar Portfolio Edition available in the USA with such low mileage. I have 34 images of the car. This the Supercharged model XKR.

Thanks Richard - We've been watching the listings and saw this Black/Black '07 XK in IL - thought it was kind of odd they say the CarFax is good but didn't post it. Chances are very good we're buying the one discussed in the thread, unless something major is wrong with it.

Your Portfolio looks very nice - we were briefly looking at an immaculate one in California as a possibility, but reigned in our budget a bit.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (06-04-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 04:53 PM

Just to give some closure to this thread...all the optimism in the world didn't help and we ended up passing on this car after weeks of discussion and a full day of travel to go see it. The 88 year old owner is completely delusional unfortunately. A sad story actually - he bought the car 3 years ago and only put 200 miles on it due to health issues. He was also ripped off from the dealer that sold it to him, but has his head firmly inserted into the sand.

The top was disintegrating, the inside looked like it was top down for 3 years - the car wouldn't start, had to get a new battery, then wouldn't start again and had to have electrical done - even after that when I test drove it was beeping the whole time for some reason. Worst of all the driver's side had been side-swiped and redone. The patch was obvious, paint didn't match the factory paint, and it had a paint wave line on the driver's door. 1-10 scale the cosmetics were a 4.5 at best. Tires were worn and unmatched.

It's a green/tan 2008 XK with 21K miles - if someone wants it go get it, as a project car, Search Daytona Beach Craigslist. It ran nicely though I just love the XK feel more than anything! I have the CarFax - it's clean though as seen one can always lie about accidents. It's under a lien which he doesn't want to clear without selling so that adds another layer of complexity to the deal. He also cannot do email. Despite all this all he could do was moon over it - "look at this car - it's in perfect condition - it's a beauty!" lol

I had pre-negotiated him down to $28K before making the trip with the understanding it was a good condition used car. Not new, but good. He said it was perfect 10/10. We really didn't want a fixer requiring $5K worth of work so didn't bother offering anything lower. I was also very peeved over making a 9 hour trip for nothing while he lied about the top and collision damage - but he is very old and can't see any of it. I expect he would readily take $27K - maybe even $26K or lower. Just not our cup of tea.

It's been a bit of a heartbreaking journey for us, having seen 1/2 dozen XKs (all revealed as fixer uppers) while being lied to about the condition of the cars wasting huge amounts of our time and resources. For now, we're going to put this on the back burner and wait it out. We've bought another car for now but will keep looking for an XK to add to the garage, someday.

Last edited by koko; 06-11-2016 at 04:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Too bad!! Sad story all the way around! Better luck next time.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Thank you for the update and sorry to hear it did not work out for you but glad you are astute enough to catch the flaws you did.

Although you have already made another purchase, I will tell you that it will probably take a lot more perseverance to find the car you want. There were not that many to begin with and now 10 years later most will have wear and tear or multiple owners and will require some refurbishing which may not be inexpensive as you have seen with the other you have looked at. I still think the right price for what you want is going to be in the low to mid $30s.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by jahummer
it will probably take a lot more perseverance to find the car you want. There were not that many to begin with and now 10 years later most will have wear and tear or multiple owners and will require some refurbishing
As we saw - which is fine so we are now taking our time on it and seeing if something aligns down the road. At least for now we'll have another weekender car to fill the gap between our daily drivers and big truck.

I guess I'm just amazed that someone's late 2000s decade cars can be in such bad shape. Old doesn't have to equal poor shape. Guess we just take far better care than the average Joe, and expect too much.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are in the Ft Lauderdale Fl area Alpine Jaguar is very good and keep good records and would be helpful to you. Live in east coast of central Fl and purchased my 2011 XK port from them no issues.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like a lot of wasted time starting a thread and being secretive about the car. I would have asked if anybody on the forum knew anything about the car before I traveled a day to see it.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by akc70
Sounds like a lot of wasted time starting a thread and being secretive about the car. I would have asked if anybody on the forum knew anything about the car before I traveled a day to see it.
I knew from conversations the seller wasn't talking to anyone else and had never shown the car to anyone. I was their only inquiry to date and they were poorly equipped to answer even the most basic of questions. Partially because they were lying - the car wouldn't even start at that point.

Coincidentally or not - another car I posted openly about in the forum before this one, disappeared quickly thereafter - so we weren't taking that chance again.

If the car was actually mint condition like it was purported to be - it would have been an excellent find. Openly broadcasting this and all the details on how to find/buy it wouldn't be very intelligent. The forum answers were excellent and positive on the mechanical question. (Thanks again to all!) Typing a few lines on a forum to gain information is never a waste of time, unless the information is bad.

Meanwhile maybe someone looking for a car that doesn't mind the work, might very well come across this thread and decide to go for it. It would save them a great deal of time knowing all this in advance. Anyone interested - please PM me and I'll provide photos and a CarFax as well as a full description of everything - free!

Last edited by koko; 06-14-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Originally Posted by koko

Coincidentally or not - another car I posted openly about in the forum before this one, disappeared quickly thereafter - so we weren't taking that chance again.........
I would assume and hope that no Forum members would snipe a sale from a fellow member, but there are a LOT of Visitors to this forum. The information here is free to the entire world, as it should be, but with no way to control who sees what there is always a possibility of non-friendly behavior.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Koko;

Keep looking, there are good ones out there. I bought my XKR in April, after watching the market for about 5 months. I was in no rush given the time of year; and by the time I got to April I was ready. I knew exactly what I wanted, color combo/price etc.; at least I thought I did until the car I bought came on the market.

The car had 16k miles on it and was represented "as new"; and that was spot on. People look at the car and can't believe it is 6 years old. The car had been very well cared for and it showed.

Price? Oh yes, I paid more than I had planned on. When the right car comes along you just bite the bullet and figure it is only $$X more a month. Enjoy it while you can.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I suppose its how much risk one feels comfortable with, but I expect many high resolution pictures before I travel for a car along with the service records.

It sounds like this seller wouldn't have had the skills to provide that, but if they really wanted to sell it, could they not have asked someone to take/send pix on their behalf? How did they manage to get it posted on craigslist anyway?

Requiring photos might mean you might miss out on a deal, but oh well. Lesson learned anyway. Sorry it didn't work out for you. That's is definitely a downer to spend that much time to be disappointed.