XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Buying used XK 2008 with no service hist. - advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying used XK 2008 with no service hist. - advise

Hi All,
I am in the market for an XK and a dealer nearby has a 2008 model. Its a Mercedes dealership which got the car on a trade in, and they didnt receive the user-manual and service book. They inspected the car and the report is solid.
The carfax has only 1 service record.

What do you think ? Anyway I can mitigate the risk of a not well maintained car ? Anyway I can know the service history another way ?

Thanks for your advise

M

Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey21
Hi All,
I am in the market for an XK and a dealer nearby has a 2008 model. Its a Mercedes dealership which got the car on a trade in, and they didnt receive the user-manual and service book. They inspected the car and the report is solid.
The carfax has only 1 service record.

What do you think ? Anyway I can mitigate the risk of a not well maintained car ? Anyway I can know the service history another way ?

Thanks for your advise

M
It's hard to think of a Jag that was not taken care of, but your the buyer, and you need to step up and cover your butt on any car buy.
Luckily the XK is a very reliable build, so minimal records may be acceptable. I'd get a Jag dealer to look it over first off. Pay for the inspection and they can run the VIN for any back service logs as well as recalls and TSB's that have been done. A critical TSB is the leaking airconditioner. If it has not been done it will cost a pretty penny to pull the whole dash for the fix.

Where was the car originally purchased? Sounds like it was a one owner car? In a Gulf State or Eastern Seaboard should step the caution light up a notch.

Hope others offer wiser words...
Vince

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName
It's hard to think of a Jag that was not taken care of, but your the buyer, and you need to step up and cover your butt on any car buy.
Luckily the XK is a very reliable build, so minimal records may be acceptable. I'd get a Jag dealer to look it over first off. Pay for the inspection and they can run the VIN for any back service logs as well as recalls and TSB's that have been done. A critical TSB is the leaking airconditioner. If it has not been done it will cost a pretty penny to pull the whole dash for the fix.

Where was the car originally purchased? Sounds like it was a one owner car? In a Gulf State or Eastern Seaboard should step the caution light up a notch.

Hope others offer wiser words...
Vince
Thanks Vince. It had 2 owners, the first is a corporate in Nevada, the second a private person in California. And I buy it in California.

Ill call the local Jag dealer tomorrow, lets see what I find out. Ill update the thread for sure!

M

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 AM

And btw - the car has 40K miles on it - which I believe is not a large amount, but enough to require replacement of i.e. tires and breaks right ?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaguar with no service and info is a dangerous way to go.
I recommend looking for a jag with full service history and with not a lot of owners.
The millage is not a lot but like you said it will be time to change the cam belt and soon the gear box oil.
I have had 2 XJS 1 was amazing and the other keep me out of pocket.
I now have S type with full service history and still I am having little problems.
So please take your time.

Good day Matthew

The following users liked this post:
mickey21 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Most cars sold thuu dealerships do not have meaningful service histories because they are sourced from auctions. Moreover, Jag dealerships provide minimal service info because past service info is considered the property of the previous owners. Occasionally you will find a Jag salesman/service writer who will let you have a peek but it's a risky act for them if they get caught. The other thing is that few prospective buyers are able to objectively interpret service data resulting in a lost sale.

CleverName's advice is as good as you are going to get. Go with that.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

M...

I purchased my 2008 from SF British Motors as I live in the Tahoe area and have my business in the Bay Area. I occasionally look at XK's for sale, just for the heck of it. I saw one that fits your description at Smythe European in Santa Clara. However, California is a BIG state, as such you could be anywhere.

That aside, if you call a Jag dealer near you and ask real nice, they may look up the service history for you. I would give that a shot, alternatively, have the car fully inspected.

The only concern, assuming there is no history, is that the fluid maintenance was not performed responsibly. If this were the case, that can cut the life of any car way down.

mickey21 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought mine I had some of the same issues. Get the Vin#, call Jaguar of North America(customer care number is online). They are in NJ. Lady I spoke with couldn't have been nicer. She told me when the car was put inservice, where it was sold, the number of the dealership and any issue's that were reported.

After that, I called the dealerships and talked to the service dept. explained I was looking at the car that they serviced, etc....
They were very helpful in reviewing the service history for me, giving me anything major, if proper mileage services were done (30k mile, 40k mile, etc.) and also finding out if/when new tires were installed as well as brakes.

Not that all will do this, but he blacked out all the customer info and emailed me the records. As noted, not all will do that, but it will give you more piece of mind if you know the history. Carfax is only good IF the dealership submits the info to them.

Funny thing was that the dealership I was going to buy from(A JAGUAR DEALER) told me he couldn't get any info for me. Of course, I produced the papers from my phone calls that apparently he was too lazy to look for. Also gave him the number for Jaguar customer care, since he was too inconvenienced by me to look for and call. I just don't get some dealerships. You can get it, you just need to make some calls and ask the right people.

Lastly as others have said, tell the Merc dealership you want a PPI done by local Jaguar dealership. Worth the $300 to them and obviously worth it for you.
Good luck with your hunt!

Last edited by chakka; 01-31-2013 at 08:35 AM.
mickey21 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by chakka
When I bought mine I had some of the same issues. Get the Vin#, call Jaguar of North America(customer care number is online). They are in NJ. Lady I spoke with couldn't have been nicer. She told me when the car was put inservice, where it was sold, the number of the dealership and any issue's that were reported.

After that, I called the dealerships and talked to the service dept. explained I was looking at the car that they serviced, etc....
They were very helpful in reviewing the service history for me, giving me anything major, if proper mileage services were done (30k mile, 40k mile, etc.) and also finding out if/when new tires were installed as well as brakes.

Not that all will do this, but he blacked out all the customer info and emailed me the records. As noted, not all will do that, but it will give you more piece of mind if you know the history. Carfax is only good IF the dealership submits the info to them.

Funny thing was that the dealership I was going to buy from(A JAGUAR DEALER) told me he couldn't get any info for me. Of course, I produced the papers from my phone calls that apparently he was too lazy to look for. Also gave him the number for Jaguar customer care, since he was too inconvenienced by me to look for and call. I just don't get some dealerships. You can get it, you just need to make some calls and ask the right people.

Lastly as others have said, tell the Merc dealership you want a PPI done by local Jaguar dealership. Worth the $300 to them and obviously worth it for you.
Good luck with your hunt!
Guys: thank you very much. I followed chakka's advise and got the service records on the phone. they did do the 10K, 20K and 30K. 40K is missing and due now - excellent info. Thanks so much!! I am going for it

Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Guys: thank you very much. I followed chakka's advise and got the service records on the phone. they did do the 10K, 20K and 30K. 40K is missing and due now - excellent info. Thanks so much!! I am going for it
From what I remember, the 40k isn't a big service. Oil, filter, maybe brake fluid flush, cabin filter...
The 50k one is more, so dealership should be able to handle it or send have it done when they have the PPI done.
Early congrats sound in order!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats! pics are a must!

Were you able to find out about the TSB as well?
(Not to make you nervous, but many new owners have cursed the cat for the AC design flaw) Lucky for me the job was already done when i bought my car last year.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Tires are tires... My car has 25K and I am on the third set. I think brakes will be around 40K replacement and are not very expensive (well at least they weren't my VDP). You may be able to do just pads. You'll want to consider transmission pan replacement around 60K and that is not expensive, as well some point flushing the brake fluid.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Default original window sticker

If you ask VERY VERY nicely the Jaguar Dealer can get you a copy of the original window sticker too. FREE!!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Default Done

Ok, just got back from the dealer. Deal is done for the 40K the local Jag dealer asked $450 - i guess this is the starting price, after which they give me a call and start pushing.. But it was good to know and I got this off the selling price.
Pictures are from the dealer, but are not bad.
I guess you will see me around now thank you all for the very helpful advise! without the tip about calling and asking I wouldnt have bought it!

M

Attached Thumbnails Buying used XK 2008 with no service hist. - advise-photo-1.jpg   Buying used XK 2008 with no service hist. - advise-photo-2.jpg  
CleverName (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Sweet!

That's one nice lookin car!

Last edited by CleverName; 02-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.
mickey21 (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 AM

Very nice! Congrats and enjoy!

mickey21 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Digging the black painted wheels.

mickey21 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Default awesome!

Black cat!! Enjoy!!

mickey21 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lovely car! Time to change your signature to proclaim to the work that you now own one of the best cars in the world!! :-)

mickey21 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice and in black look after her and she look after you.

Good driving

Matthew

Quick Reply: Buying used XK 2008 with no service hist. - advise