XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Buying used XK or XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Buying used XK or XKR

Hi all!

I am looking forward to be part od this great forum in the future. Until now I was more a read-only here. However recently I have tested a number of XK and XKRs. I am looking into getting a used XK/R this year, mostly looking at cars from 2010-2012 with mileage no more than 50k miles. It doesn’t need to be the XKR for me, as I find the non-compressor models performance good enough. However the price difference is sometimes litte and I would also go for a nice XKR.

Are there any consierable disadvantages with XKRs compared to the naturally aspirated model (2010-2012) to consider, other than price? Fuel usage is not that different.
What about maintenance cost, repair needs or other aspects of the XKR?

Waterpump seems to be a potential problem on both, XK and XKR, right? Where in the engine bay do you find the waterpump, to look out for coolant leaks in its vicinity?

Much appreciated! Best Regards!!
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 03-25-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

The only engine failures I have seen have been 5.0L XKR's.

I suspect it is oil starvation from sustained G-force and interaction of fluid levels.

That said, how long do you plan on owning? The older these cars get the larger the gap between XKR and XK will be.

Eventually the XKR may re-appreciate from its bottom, the XK, not likely.

If you never plan to sell and you don't need the power then just buy the nicest condition one with the most appeal to you be it XK or XKR.

My observation is if you can get one that has been garage kept, and not held out for years on a lot the interior difference this makes is significant.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Mileage is not as important as service history and regular oil changes. Buy the car that's in the nicest condition. The XKRs don't necessarily have more problems. I have two of them, both with very high mileage, and they are still quite reliable.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Hi Tberg, hi Tervuren,

many thanks for the feedback. I am buying this car to own it for at leas 7 years (to put approx. 40k miles on it as a daily driver). But if the car runs fine during this time it is very probable that I will keep it basically forever.

Are the oil service intervals the same on XK and XKR: 10k miles or at least once per year?

@Tervuren: Do I correctly understand your comment that you believe XKRs to be more probable to become a rare classic car?

Regards!
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 03-25-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:13 PM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
Waterpump seems to be a potential problem on both, XK and XKR, right? Where in the engine bay do you find the waterpump, to look out for coolant leaks in its vicinity?
The engine coolant pump is in the normal location at the front of the engine. Since the hood pivots forward it is not easy to see that pump without some disassembly, for example removing the air ducting leading to the throttle body.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Thanks Patrick!

Old 03-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Ter, it has been my recent experience that a service contract is an absolute must with any vehicle whose factory warranty has expired. You can get a good one (2 years/30,000 miles) for a little over $2,000.00, which you can extend at your option. On another thread, I bored everyone to death with the trials and tribulations of my 2011 XKR (20,000 miles) that "died" after seventeen days. Were it not for the service contract, I would have been out another $1,500 for what turned out to be the actual fix. Even if I never use the service contract benefits again, it is well worth it for the peace of mind knowing how costly Jaguar repairs can be.

Good luck and good hunting for the XK/XKR. They really are a dream on wheels.

Jeff

Old 03-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

As an opposing view, I had a two-year freebie warranty when I bought mine. I had absolutely no occasion to use it, and nothing in the years since.

Sean W (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 02:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarJeffrey
Ter, it has been my recent experience that a service contract is an absolute must with any vehicle whose factory warranty has expired. You can get a good one (2 years/30,000 miles) for a little over $2,000.00, which you can extend at your option. On another thread, I bored everyone to death with the trials and tribulations of my 2011 XKR (20,000 miles) that "died" after seventeen days. Were it not for the service contract, I would have been out another $1,500 for what turned out to be the actual fix. Even if I never use the service contract benefits again, it is well worth it for the peace of mind knowing how costly Jaguar repairs can be.

Good luck and good hunting for the XK/XKR. They really are a dream on wheels.

Jeff
I wish I had paid something like that for my car with the extended warranty. Got kinda screwed on my X5 with 2 year 24k warranty for 5k something. It covered pretty much everything but I drove too much for it to be useful. I'm just piggybacking this thread keeping it subscribed as I'm also looking for XKR/XKR-S

Old 03-25-2018, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

To the OP, what's your experience and comfort level with dealing with a car in general? These XK's aren't overly complicated and I suspect less complicated versus what's coming off the line this year. Basic car with basic car problems.

I'd find one that's been driven regularly. To me it's insane to buy something that has sat for weeks at a time over many years and then expect it to perform well every day. You will find problems with it off the bat. You will need the confidence to troubleshoot those problems at least well enough to give the repair shop an informed description of the problem or you will pay far more than needed. Participating in this forum puts you in a good place per troubleshooting.

Personally 60-70k on a '10 is good mileage for a daily driver candidate. If it looks great, even better. You didn't post where you are located. The rubber boots on the suspension deteriorate and that will give you fits for annual inspections. The water pumps had issues and as posted up thread, the electronic oil level system in the 5.0's leads to somewhat mysterious engine destruction. DI 5.0's also have issue with carbon building up on the intake valves because fuel doesn't wash them off.

The chassis is solid, the electronics do not like weak batteries and coupes look better than verts, to me. Post up some cars that you are interested in and you'll get good advice about which to avoid.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
pk4144 (04-02-2018), Sean W (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Ter - If and when you get serious about a specific car. Spend bout $500-600 to have the candidate(s) subjected to a CPO inspection at a Jaguar dealer and then go to a Jaguar certified body shop to inspect the body in order to be sure repairs, if any, were done properly. Good hunting and follow the advice of Ranchero and others above.

Sean W (03-26-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

I have a 2010 XK Coupe with presently 9600 miles. Purchased it 4 years ago with 4800 miles. Presently, the only issue I have is the notorious coolant loss/water pump? issue which can't be resolved. I have the extended warranty but can't help at this time. Other than that... my car works flawlessly, and I would recommend to get the best and lowest mileage car you can find regardless of XK or XKR. These care are around and the good ones can be found if you look hard enough and stretch your viewing area. I went 1500 miles to find my car. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Be patient and the right car is out there for you. These cars even in great condition....are not easy to sell which will be in your favor.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

The thing about buying super-low mile cars and never driving them is....... a GREAT deal for the buyer at the Estate Sale.

pk4144 (04-02-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:44 AM

Dear all

Thanks for all the great input received so far.

Where can I read up on the coolant loss/water pump issue? Can this issue not be resolved by fitting the latest spec water pump?

One of the cars I drove recently smelled quite noticeably of coolant if you opend the hood. But no leaks visible, running fine. This car had a bit over 40k miles on the odo.

I am located in Switzerland.

BR
Ter

Last edited by Ter11; 03-26-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11

@Tervuren: Do I correctly understand your comment that you believe XKRs to be more probable to become a rare classic car?
I think it more a matter that the gap in price between the two will much wider in the future.

The XK might fall to $5-7K. The XKR will likely stay above $10K, with a possible rise back to the $20/$30K. I do not think it will become a valuable collector car, but that the XKR will hold better in the long run. Power sells.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The thing about buying super-low mile cars and never driving them is....... a GREAT deal for the buyer at the Estate Sale.
Not even that. Such cars are hard to put back on the road, as everything dry-rots and condensation-rusts and such cars start falling apart as you start regularly driving them.

Unless it is ultra-rare Ferrari or something equally collectible, I would not recommend buying a car that was driven less than 2K/year.

Cee Jay (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
The XK might fall to $5-7K. The XKR will likely stay above $10K, with a possible rise back to the $20/$30K.
I own quite a few classic cars, so I will comment.

No convertible in good mechanical order would ever fall below $10K. People would always buy these as top-down Sunday cruisers and that establishes a hard floor for the price.

Generally, few people care about engine performance in a classic car. It is assumed they are all going to be underpowered. So XK vs. XKR will be negligible in 2050 when a delivery van would have an electric equivalent of 2000 HP.

Generally, with very few exceptions, cars take 10-12 years fully depreciate. Stay there for another 10-15 years from the last year it was made, then slowly start appreciating. XK/XKR won't start appreciating until 2040s.

The following 3 users liked this post by SinF:
mosesbotbol (03-27-2018), pk4144 (04-02-2018), Steven07XK (05-24-2021)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

My view is... Simpler cars will always be more appealing to the majority of enthusiasts. But there’s always a handful of guys with more money and resources so the more expensive versions become the ultimate. They are old cars and will continue to get older. So they will both dip heavily in value, and both will rise back up with a gap that can only be determined by buyers in the future. So if you’re a struggling blue collar worker who has an XKR, you could be sitting on a potential pot of gold, but if you have an XK like I do, you could simply be in a car that looks like an XKR, and can be made to look like one without the SC upkeep, and that’s value fo the enthusiast who wants to drive a Jag coupe. So prices will follow the XKR but only because of the production numbers.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2010 Blue on Tan XKR vert with 45K miles that will be up for sale whenever I get my crap together and make an ad! First kid is on the way and I need to free up some $!

Old 03-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scubayachts
I have a 2010 Blue on Tan XKR vert with 45K miles that will be up for sale whenever I get my crap together and make an ad! First kid is on the way and I need to free up some $!

What are you pricing yours at?, I have the same car but with 39k and black. I might need to sell soon because of divorce and am trying to get an idea of the value?

Quick Reply: Buying used XK or XKR