XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Maybe it's time to pull back some carpet and cut an access hole in the air box and get at it from the inside???
I can't remember if it's in this thread or not, but I recall someone doing it that way. After the clog was cleared the plastic 'door' was glued back and metal tape sealed all the edges. Can't see anything wrong with the carpet back in place.
I have no issues what so ever doing that time to dig up a old thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Once the car is up in the air is it possible to reach the duckbill from underneath and clean out it out with a long wire that has been coated with silicon spray? Kinda like giving the duckbill an enema? I know it works on humans because my neighbor says he does it all the time and it works for him. (The guy lives on pizza.)

Or... How about getting under the car and blowing some air inside the duckbill with an air compressor?

Why wouldn't either one of these work work on a skinny clogged tube?

Last edited by SLazz; 02-27-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a cat has to be removed and gearbox mount released /lowered in order to get to the duckbill so yes it could possible work that might be a solution.
although thinking what cee Jay is suggesting is more simpler

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 02-27-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Looks like a cat has to be removed and gearbox mount released /lowered in order to get to the duckbill so yes it could possible work that might be a solution
You say the gearbox mount. Is that the trans? And are you talking about a catalytic converter? I think there are two catalytic converters. Would you have to to remove one or both? Finally, if you go to the trouble of removing a catalytic converter and lower a gearbox wouldn't it be best to cut the tip of the damn thing off and get it over with provided the duckbill is accessible?

Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

+1 on cut the duck bill off.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely you'd cut it clean off

With the cats you'd only need to remove one by memory think there's more room on that l/h side (15mm bolts/nuts)

Lower the trans at the rear mount and support with a trans jack

Old 02-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Definitely you'd cut it clean off

With the cats you'd only need to remove one by memory think there's more room on that l/h side (15mm bolts/nuts)

Lower the trans at the rear mount and support with a trans jack
Looks like major surgery. I've been reading this thread and it looks like there is no easy way to get to the duckbill. I get the feeling if and when the waterworks begin I'll have to take the car to my mechanic. He has the car lifts and the tools to do this job. That said, I better start saving my nickles.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:57 PM

I just spoke with my indy mechanic and he has replaced the duckbill on a few XKs with the newer designed hose. He said he pulls the dashboard to get to the hose. He also quoted $600 for the entire job. Sounds like it's worth it.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member

It's a shame I had the cats out when changing my diff

Before anyone asks why I had my cats out when changing a diff ??

-The exhaust shop bonded the down pipes to the mid section pipe .

Old 03-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLazz
I just spoke with my indy mechanic and he has replaced the duckbill on a few XKs with the newer designed hose. He said he pulls the dashboard to get to the hose. He also quoted $600 for the entire job. Sounds like it's worth it.
Fyi if you follow my latest activity on this thread I'm waiting for another member to provide instructions on how to remove the supercharger and access the duckbill from the top, without a gearbox or tranny drop on a lift.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by digband
Fyi if you follow my latest activity on this thread I'm waiting for another member to provide instructions on how to remove the supercharger and access the duckbill from the top, without a gearbox or tranny drop on a lift.
I think you can get to the duckbill from the engine compartment provided you have the proper cutting tool or very long skinny fingers. Just run an advanced search. The technique was posted before. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by SLazz
I think you can get to the duckbill from the engine compartment provided you have the proper cutting tool or very long skinny fingers. Just run an advanced search. The technique was posted before. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. I've researched all the posts and downloaded the PDF instructions and also looked at the UK forum on this matter - a lot of great information and really creative ways to cut that bugger off ala Edward Scissor-hands. The difference is that almost all those are for the XK and not the XKR, because the superchargers on the R engine obstruct the duckbill access point people use on the XK. The DIY R solution/recommendation for almost all the posts has been to get the car on the lift and drop the tranny or gearbox to access the duckbill. But if you follow the thread above, member GR8BR1T has indicated that there's a way to get to the duckbill on the R model from the TOP of the engine by removing the "air intake pipe and aluminum "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body". I'm awaiting his reply with photos/instructions on this procedure - he's the only one I've engaged with who's offered a solution to do this from the top of the engine, which is obviously less work and preferable to dropping the tranny with the car on a lift from underneath.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Quote : “get to the duckbill on the R model from the TOP of the engine by removing the "air intake pipe and aluminum "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body".

How much more instruction than that do you need? It tells you all you need to know. If it doesn’t you shouldn’t be working on a car yourself.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

I seriously don't know how anyone can reach in and psychically grab the duckbill I've tried a few times and came out with mega scrapes

Old 03-04-2019, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 09XFSuper
Quote : “get to the duckbill on the R model from the TOP of the engine by removing the "air intake pipe and aluminum "T-Piece" on top of the throttle body".

How much more instruction than that do you need? It tells you all you need to know. If it doesn’t you shouldn’t be working on a car yourself.
Respectfully, I disagree. People with experience started at some point with none, and if a friendly forum member is willing to provide some extra info to assist me, I'm grateful and will gladly accept it. And when I learn how to do it myself, I'll gladly share the details with someone else who might need help. Besides, there may be more insight he can provide about doing this successfully than just removing the parts.

The following users liked this post:
IowaPopPop (08-12-2021)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by digband
Respectfully, I disagree. People with experience started at some point with none, and if a friendly forum member is willing to provide some extra info to assist me, I'm grateful and will gladly accept it. And when I learn how to do it myself, I'll gladly share the details with someone else who might need help. Besides, there may be more insight he can provide about doing this successfully than just removing the parts.
Digband, it would help if you would fill out your signature with your year model, I assume you have a 4.2l engine. I am pretty sure there are threads that have described the process. I know I have discussed about the process in another thread on the 5.0l engine cars.

Here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cation-182608/

* Disregard- I see where you wrote you have XKR, so I assume you have 4.2l XKR, in which I don't think anyone has documented a solution from above the engine...

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 03-04-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Digband,
As promised, here is the procedure I follow every 12 months to keep my Duckbill slick and clean, with pictures. Works perfectly for me and my 2009 XKR 4.2 Portfolio and my wife has not had a handbag full of water since I've been doing this.
Being right handed it works for me if I go in from the right hand side of the car but I guess it would work just as easily from the left although, I've not tried.

Start by removing the engine cover as this will make it a little easier to remove the R/|H air intake pipe.

R/H air intake pipe that runs from the R/H air filter (bottom right) up to the aluminium "T-piece" above the throttle body (top left)
Slacken off the Jubilee Clips either end of the air intake pipe

Unbolt the air intake pipe from its mounting bracket (10 mm)

Detach each end of the air intake pipe and carefully remove. Whilst you have this removed you may want to clean all those hard to reach places underneath!

Slide your hand down underneath the throttle body (palm facing the bulkhead) until you can feel the end of the Duck Bill. It's quite far down (+- 600 mm (+- 2')) and it's a fairly tight squeeze for your arm. Once you have located the Duck Bill, pour some silicone lubricant into the palm of your hand and just tease the end of the rubber Duck Bill with your middle finger. Keep on repeating with more silicone lubricant until it feels slick and smooth inside and out.

Yes, that's a Jaguar tattoo!
This next pic is just to illustrate how far you need to reach. The end of the Jaguars tail is about 50 mm (2") above my elbow.

Refit the air intake pipe ensuring the Jubilee clips are nice and snug and refit the engine cover.

Finally take a couple of gratuitous pic's to post because I never seem too!

Duck Bill cleaned in less than 10 minutes!

Hope this helps those of you with skinny arms

Cheers
Andy

The following 13 users liked this post by GR8BR1T:
7500ftJagGuy (09-08-2021), barnsie (10-15-2019), DAWells23 (07-25-2022), digband (03-04-2019), fritzthecat (10-16-2023), hafren (03-05-2019), IowaPopPop (08-12-2021), Norri (03-05-2019), Stu72 (03-05-2019), Stuart S (03-04-2019), TexasTraveler (03-04-2019), u102768 (03-04-2019), Vonmark (07-16-2023) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Just posted a response for you digband and then saw your post!
NO, Don't remove the Supercharger or the throttle body!

Old 03-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by GR8BR1T

pour some silicone lubricant into the palm of your hand and just tease the end with your middle finger. Keep on repeating.

Does the car require a cigarette afterwards.

I dont care about how you relive the car, show us how you keep that engine bay looking so good.

Well done mate, garage and all.

The following users liked this post:
fritzthecat (10-16-2023)
Old 03-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Fantastic info from GR8BRIT. I'm going to try this on my N/A XK and just for practice I'm going to try this on my girlfriend.

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution