XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C drain duck bill finger fix

Originally Posted by big mike
Now having to replace fan motor and module at the Jaguar agency due to water damage from backup.
I'm officially obsessed with the duck bill, I want this water out of my car. 2020 will be the year of the bill snip. Thanks for all who suffer and advise, it's appreciated very much.

Happy new year

Old 01-12-2020, 08:26 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

I've read many threads about this problem and could not see where anything is said about what years the duck bill drain is a problem. So I'm going to ask someone to please let me know if this is a problem for a 2014 XKR?

Found my answer (I can take this off my things to do list):

According to the parts manual the new style duck bill was introduced at VIN B34499 which is part way through the 2010MY so there will be 5.0L cars running around with the original design.

Last edited by DGL; 01-12-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Drove my 07 XK yesterday, and noticed today, water coming from underneath and ran out of the garage. Fair amount of water. Traced it back to the REAR passenger floorboard. Front passenger floor is dry but rear floor is wet. Would this be the infamous duckbill issue? All I read about, is the passenger side being wet, assuming it's the front most are speaking to. Would my rear be the same problem?

Old 01-15-2020, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

That sounds like a top/window seal issue. Did the car sit out during rain?

Old 01-15-2020, 07:29 PM

No. Garage kept, not driven in the rain for 10 days to 2 weeks. This is the first time it has happened. Just want to address the issue.....as soon as I diagnose it

Old 01-16-2020, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duck Bill removal

Hi Team. Tried this method but no success.
Went with another method that was quick and fool proof.
Take up the carpet on the passage side and find the bottom corner of the heater box. Black plastic box.
Get a plastic tube or hose and check the size so you can drill a neat hole in the heater box and in the floor pan.
Run the hose and glue in position at the heater box and out through the floor pan and it works well.
I will add some photos soon.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymond Bond
Hi Team. Tried this method but no success.
Went with another method that was quick and fool proof.
Take up the carpet on the passage side and find the bottom corner of the heater box. Black plastic box.
Get a plastic tube or hose and check the size so you can drill a neat hole in the heater box and in the floor pan.
Run the hose and glue in position at the heater box and out through the floor pan and it works well.
I will add some photos soon.
can’t wait to see the photos - this is my next project

Old 02-19-2020, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C drain duck bill finger fix

Originally Posted by kj07xk
First - Thanks to DpezXK8 for pioneering this, a cheap home remedy.
Second - Thanks to S-Typer, an interesting solution, if you've got long skinny hands (which I don't, so that method was a 'fail' for me).
Thirdly - Thanks to Stu72 for a description of the tool he made.

I decided to tackle this issue last Friday night, trying S-Typer's method, but alas, my fingers were too short to diddle my kitty (I found the hole, and could get my middle finger in, up to the first knuckle only). Tried taping an xacto blade to my finger tip, but it was a futile attempt.

So I then made a handle, similar to Stu72's description, although I used an actual rivet instead of a nail, and had to pound it down with a hammer to make sure it wouldn't twist.

Due to obstacles the handle was a bit too long, so I bent the end up to make it a bit shorter.

Gave myself about a 3 inch reach upward, longer may have been too hard to maneuver into the hole.

Note the wicked curved knife blade.

Maneuvering into that hole took a lot of time, just finding the hole with the tip of the blade (horizontal) was a pain (I don't know how DpezXK8 could do that and manage a camera at the same time).

One thing that I did differently from DpezXK8's description, was that I approached this from the right hand side of the car. There is a stiff wire that runs for a short distance on the top left hand side of the transmission, and that leaves even less room for maneuvering the knife blade. Also, being right handed, approaching from the right side worked better for me (left arm on the windshield for support, head and right arm down in the engine bay, and feet in the air!).

I was able to use a slight sawing action, and hoped to cut the duck bill clean off, but after cutting, and then finding the hole with one of those 'scopes, I could see that I had cut a slit across the duck bill body, but it was still there. Tried again, but there was no change (probably followed the first cut).

Fired up the car, and then waited for some drips. There were a few drips, and then nothing! Thinking it had been a total failure, I checked the inside of the car (it was a hot and humid night, so there had to be some water somewhere), but the inside was still dry. Peeked under the car again, and there was a freakin' thunderstorm going on under there! Success!

Now like the others have said, I plan to give this another go, to try to cut that thing clean off (I'll trim the width of my metal piece down to the width of the blade, just to make sure it wasn't catching on something and preventing me from cutting up to the top of the duck bill). But I'll wait for cooler weather to do that, and it appears to be draining good right now (out driving this past weekend, in the hot humid air, and the wife's feet stayed dry).

Again, thanks to the pioneers!
Don't you think there is a market for selling the tool you fashioned? I'm a buyer, let me know as I'm obsessed with this freakin Duck Bill issue. Black 07 XK Coupe/Vintage 911 Cabrio/930 Turbo Coupe...ect

Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by big mike
Don't you think there is a market for selling the tool you fashioned? I'm a buyer, let me know as I'm obsessed with this freakin Duck Bill issue. Black 07 XK Coupe/Vintage 911 Cabrio/930 Turbo Coupe...ect
Probably no market, as there weren’t that many cars made, and others have had success with alternate methods (as posted in that thread).
Further down that thread you’ll see that I did finally slice off the duck bill.
I’m traveling now, but if you PM me your address, I’ll send you my tool, so you can do surgery on your kitty, and then you can send it back to me, so I can loan it out to anyone else wanting to use it.

The following 4 users liked this post by kj07xk:
earny (02-20-2020), jehart49 (02-23-2020), peterv8 (02-20-2020), ralphwg (02-20-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably no market, as there weren’t that many cars made, and others have had success with alternate methods (as posted in that thread).
Further down that thread you’ll see that I did finally slice off the duck bill.
I’m traveling now, but if you PM me your address, I’ll send you my tool, so you can do surgery on your kitty, and then you can send it back to me, so I can loan it out to anyone else wanting to use it.

WOW! pick me....can i be next. I will gladly send it back.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MLRjr
WOW! pick me....can i be next. I will gladly send it back.
Haven’t heard from ‘big mike’, so PM me your address, and you’ll move to the head of the line, and I’ll send it to you.

The following users liked this post:
MLRjr (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 07:11 PM
Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Haven’t heard from ‘big mike’, so PM me your address, and you’ll move to the head of the line, and I’ll send it to you.

thank you sir..... message sent. I will gladly drop a bottle of purple or brown "water" in the box when I mail it back! Your choice??

Old 03-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

thank you sir..... message sent. I will gladly drop a bottle of purple or brown "water" in the box when I mail it back! Your choice??
Yep, got your address. Was a busy work day today, should get it off to you tomorrow.
Purple or brown eh? I’ll let you know, hope it works for you.

MLRjr (03-11-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Dropped it off at the Post Office over lunch, you should get it Saturday. Good luck, prepare your patience and your ‘colorful vocabulary’, you’re gonna need both!
No obligation, but if it works out for you, I’m a brown “water” guy.

MLRjr (03-12-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 08:35 AM

Good luck guys! My hand won't fit. I can barely touch the hole opening. Got my wife to do it. Showed her pics so she'd know what she was feeling for. She found it and her finger was wet. I bought a camera scope to see for myself and it has not been fixed. This is my question...The water is getting my rear floor wet. Rear floor and under passenger seat, not front as described by everyone else. I see posts where there are drain tubes on each side of the transmission. Do those come from the AC? Could one of those have come loose and dumping inside at that point? When the car is parked, a ton of water slowly drips from under the passenger seat, not anywhere towards the front or engine area like most other cars. HELP!?

Old 04-15-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blues1
I see posts where there are drain tubes on each side of the transmission. Do those come from the AC? Could one of those have come loose and dumping inside at that point? When the car is parked, a ton of water slowly drips from under the passenger seat, not anywhere towards the front or engine area like most other cars. HELP!?
The duckbill is dead center over the transmission bell housing, and tends to run off both sides of the housing, so some posting may have read like there are two exits, but there is only one.
The water may run rearward along the housing before dripping off, so to appear to come from the passenger compartment.
You just need to get underneath to check it out, to see where it actually comes from.
Your issue, with the rear floor wet, sounds more like a window seal leak.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:36 AM
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I've make this tool :

Look this picture with camera :
Before

After

Last edited by Sovejag13190; 04-15-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Peter3442 (06-07-2024)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:47 AM

The duckbill is dead center over the transmission bell housing, and tends to run off both sides of the housing, so some posting may have read like there are two exits, but there is only one.
The water may run rearward along the housing before dripping off, so to appear to come from the passenger compartment.
You just need to get underneath to check it out, to see where it actually comes from.
Your issue, with the rear floor wet, sounds more like a window seal leak.
I would agree except it gets wet when it hasn't rained, been washed or wet in any way. Always garage kept. This is a quote I found from someone else that had this problem
"I had a water leak in 2009. It was caused by adisconnected tube (A/C?) under the carpeton the left side of the front passenger side well."
And found this...

These pass through the transmission tunnel on either side of the transmission to vent the fluid to the ground.
The condensate should miss the exhaust. Worth checking the tubes aren't blocked or out of position. If blocked, it's common for the condensate to run down the inside of the transmission tunnel and soak the footwell carpets.

I don't have a way to get it in the air. May have to trust the dealer. Really didn't want to do that...

Old 04-15-2020, 07:49 AM

Did you tape or attach it to your finger?

Old 04-15-2020, 12:54 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Blues1
Drove my 07 XK yesterday, and noticed today, water coming from underneath and ran out of the garage. Fair amount of water. Traced it back to the REAR passenger floorboard. Front passenger floor is dry but rear floor is wet. Would this be the infamous duckbill issue? All I read about, is the passenger side being wet, assuming it's the front most are speaking to. Would my rear be the same problem?
Hi Blues1, I have an 07 convertible and had the duck bill problem that I fixed via the cutting tool. I never had water travel the way you report however.
I see that you are from SC; as a frequent visitor to HHI, I know how hot & Humid it gets. Does your car have a COOLED SEAT OPTON? If it does, that may be the source of your water behind the passenger seat. In my PDF Service Manual that I purchased for my XK, there is a vague reference to “ Air/ fluid leaks” in regard to climate controlled seats.

Over Temperature and Fluid/Air Leak Diagnostics
CheckForAirFlow DiagnosticGuidanceNotes Specific DTCs
B120F-98 B122E-98 B122F-98 B1230-98 B1231-7A B1232-7A
Once the diagnostic process detailed above has been carried out and it has been identified that there has not been a failure of any of the climate units, then refer back to the relevant climate system DTC codes that have been recorded
DTC codes listed that end in 7A or 98 indicate a possible air leak or air flow restriction within the system
In these circumstances, starting with the seat base check all ducting connections for correct engagement and inspect ducting for signs of damage which could result in an air leak (for connection issues re-connect and test system). Only in the event of finding damage to the ducting of one of the units should the unit be replaced. Note that only the specific unit should be replaced
Due to the design function of the system, both climate units in any one seat operate integrally. Therefore, if an issue is detected in one of the units then both units are shut down to protect the system until next ignition cycle.

Last edited by Stu72; 04-15-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution