XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

So if you have cooled seats, condensation would be created just as it does for the a/c system and would need to be drained from the car. From your description it sounds like the water on your garage floor is coming from a functioning duckbill, as well as from both driver & passenger seats. It may be a cool air duct leak on the passenger side where this cool air is hitting bare metal causing it to sweat or a damaged/partially disconnected discharged tube leaking into the rear passenger floor.
Of course if you don’t have cooled seats; then this was a decently documented guess. GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-15-2020, 02:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

From everything I can gather, I do not have cooled seats...heated only. I am inclined to think that the duckbill is working (probably still need to have a permanent fix) and the water is somehow finding its way to the rear floor. Don't want it to mildew or rust. Think I will bite the bullet, take it to the dealership, and not worry about it any more. This thing is driving me crazy!
Thanks guys for your help. It is much appreciated!!

Old 04-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

For what I've known, our XK - Rs don't HAVE cooled seats, merely ventilated seats.
Cooled seats use the semiconductor Peltier effect. Current thru the device in one direction produces heat on one side and cool on the other. Reverse the current and the sides react oppositely.
Again, for all I know, that isn't a part of our cars, but for the ventilation aspect.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Blues1
I would agree except it gets wet when it hasn't rained, been washed or wet in any way. Always garage kept. This is a quote I found from someone else that had this problem
"I had a water leak in 2009. It was caused by adisconnected tube (A/C?) under the carpeton the left side of the front passenger side well."
And found this...

These pass through the transmission tunnel on either side of the transmission to vent the fluid to the ground.
The condensate should miss the exhaust. Worth checking the tubes aren't blocked or out of position. If blocked, it's common for the condensate to run down the inside of the transmission tunnel and soak the footwell carpets.

I don't have a way to get it in the air. May have to trust the dealer. Really didn't want to do that...
Be interested in what forum/thread you found that, as that does not look like an X150 in the diagram, maybe an X100?
The quote says that he had a leak in 2009, not that it was a 2009 model year car, so it could have been a 2005 car that developed the leak in 2009.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:44 PM

I believe you are correct. This, I think, is whats so confusing to me. I kept thinking that if this is correct, then one of the tubes disconnected or dislodged and would make sense. I'm not sure of anything, but trying to make sense of it is making my head hurt. I have given up on understanding it and just getting it resolved. I think the fix is more than I am willing to tackle.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
For what I've known, our XK - Rs don't HAVE cooled seats, merely ventilated seats.
Cooled seats use the semiconductor Peltier effect. Current thru the device in one direction produces heat on one side and cool on the other. Reverse the current and the sides react oppositely.
Again, for all I know, that isn't a part of our cars, but for the ventilation aspect.
It varies by model year and market but generally the XKR and Portfolio 5 litre cars actually have heated/cooled seats as standard unless they have the performance seats:

From the workshop manual:
The climate modules contain Peltier cells, which heat up or cool down depending on the voltage provided by the climate seat control module. Each climate module also contains a blower, controlled by the climate seat control module, which blows air over the Peltier cell and into a liner in the related cushion or backrest. The heated or cooled air then flows out of holes in the liner, and through the seat pad and seat cover.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
It varies by model year and market but generally the XKR and Portfolio 5 litre cars actually have heated/cooled seats as standard unless they have the performance seats:
Exactly what I needed to know! Thank you, sir!

Old 07-05-2020, 01:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xkr

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I have an XK, so there is more workspace available. Those with an XKR will find those air pipes to the SC in the way.
was just reading this thread trying to figure if this works for an xkr?

Old 07-05-2020, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

Didn't Jaguar ever address this issue with the 2010-2015 XKs by changing the design of the last piece at the end of the a/c drain line? So far I have not experience the passenger side water issue, but I'm very aware of it being a common problem.Sorry......I just realized that I asked this question before on this thread...Apparently they did update the duckbill during the 2010 model run after a particular serial number. I checked and mine was produced after that number, but of course I'll keep on eye on it anyway.

Last edited by bocatrip; 07-05-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermanus
It will, if you can get in there.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:49 AM
Received 88 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are asking if its possible to fix the aircon duckbill in a XKR 4.2 then yes its dead easy, I used some very good advice on this thread and fixed the issue in 15 minutes.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:28 PM
Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

"Apparently they did update the duckbill during the 2010 model run after a particular serial number. I checked and mine was produced after that number..."

With the onset of hot weather and using the A/C for the first time (bought used earlier this year), my 5.0 2010 M/Y has been getting the dreaded condensation runoff into the passenger footwell. Wondering what serial number you found to be the cutoff (sorry...) for the "old" duckbill design..I found B34500 for the intro of the "improved" design. My number is ≈1500 numbers past that.

This thread has to be the longest running on any X150 issues!! Tyres / oil probably close seconds...!

​​​​

Old 07-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Tracee

You are correct - the duckbill design was 'theoretically' redesigned after a VIN number around that range. My XKR is in the 36,xxx VIN range and also has a blocked a/c drain. Like my '07 XK, I discovered it about 2 months after the car was outside the extended factory warranty. There is even more plumbing around the back of the motor/transmission tunnel on the 5.0 models, which makes the fix even more difficult. I plan to take it on in the next week or so.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts

My 2010 XK is past the serial number for the redesigned duck bill. Would anyone have a theory if the A/C is used constantly due to my constant hot climate, the drainage issue could be less likely or the same as others.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:36 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
My 2010 XK is past the serial number for the redesigned duck bill. Would anyone have a theory if the A/C is used constantly due to my constant hot climate, the drainage issue could be less likely or the same as others.
I think it is safe to say you may escape the duck bill problem. Your XK is 10 years old and you haven’t had a problem yet, I think your theory is a good one. Your constant use of the a/c due to where you live has probably kept the rubber duck bill from fusing together; that and or due to the same conditions the rubber has rotted away. Mine is an 07, and it is a garage queen in the winter months here in Ohio, and with the top down in the summer I rarely used the A/C which I strongly believe lead to my duckbill problem. I was one of the first success stories with the slice & dice method I learned on this forum. This problem was my primary reason for joining so many years ago. I still get a sense of joy seeing a puddle of condensation water underneath my XK when I pull it into the garage. That duckbill cost me a blower motor, control module, contortionist moves to replace those parts, and apologies to neighbors who would hear the litany of creatively coupled obscenities roared while trying to Cary out those repairs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu72:
peterv8 (07-10-2020), ralphwg (07-11-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 01:32 PM

I had resigned myself to letting the dealership make the repair. Called twice to schedule, and had to leave messages for the service department and never got a return call. So, after much deliberation, I tackled it myself. Thanks to this thread, and the labors and experience from forum members, I was successful! Took about 5 minutes to work the tool into the hole. I could feel the duckbill and kept working at creating a slice or gouge. The blade that I had fashioned fell off of the flat stock and brought my attempt to a halt. I ran the camera (Depstech Endoscope) down to see if I was lucky enough to have done anything. After comparing before and after pics, it looked like I may have made a slice. Cranked her up and voila! Water immediately puddled under the car...took it for a 30-45 minute ride, with the wife, and no sign of water dousing her feet! What a relief!!

Special shout out to kj07xk and Dan for vids and pics of tools used.

The following 4 users liked this post by Blues1:
kj07xk (07-12-2020), peterv8 (07-13-2020), ralphwg (07-12-2020), V7Sport (07-12-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 01:36 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Zzz
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Unfortunately no less likely to happen
Mine is 2008, a/c always on in the local hot climate year round and one year ago the duck bill got sticke

Old 07-17-2020, 12:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Duckbill

Originally Posted by GaryM
If you are asking if its possible to fix the aircon duckbill in a XKR 4.2 then yes its dead easy, I used some very good advice on this thread and fixed the issue in 15 minutes.
Thanks Gary do they go in from underneath?

Old 07-17-2020, 02:10 AM
Received 88 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Thanks Gary do they go in from underneath?
Start at post #177 by GR8BRIT

Very easy solution and worked for me no problem on my 4.2 XKR, fat short forearms could make it tricky, get yourself a leggy blonde to do the job if its an issue. Ohhh and pics or it didn't happen!!

I chucked a blanket over the fender so I could lean into the job when flicking the bean with lubed up fingers.

Instantly solved and 12 months later still no blocked drain.

Quick Reply: A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution