XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A/C drain duck bill fix - my solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 11:05 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I have seen some old familiar names on this chat who were the first to successfully slice open or slice off the damn duckbill. I am one of those who created the cutting tool as described and sliced mine open. Several years later, still no condensate water in the cabin, nor any car exhaust. The car exhaust fear is ridiculous. once sliced or cut off the new opening is still less than a dime in size.The risk you run with finger tickling or lubing the duckbill is that it will work until it does not. Once water successfully sloshes onto the blower motor fan you risk shorting out the fan ($300 + ) and or the fan speed control relay ($300+). It happened to me; and theses things never occur at a convenient time. As mine is not a super charged XK, it was an easier & durable fix. I do value the sincere ingenuity on this forum, and some times the ideas work, sometimes they don’t as you may have read on this subject alone. As for those who’s comments are only to snipe at others, stick to twitter or fakebook.

The following 4 users liked this post by Stu72:
George Abitbol (07-25-2022), KiwiAuldPhart (07-24-2022), kj07xk (07-24-2022), Sean W (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 02:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu72
I have seen some old familiar names on this chat who were the first to successfully slice open or slice off the damn duckbill. I am one of those who created the cutting tool as described and sliced mine open. Several years later, still no condensate water in the cabin, nor any car exhaust. The car exhaust fear is ridiculous. once sliced or cut off the new opening is still less than a dime in size.The risk you run with finger tickling or lubing the duckbill is that it will work until it does not. Once water successfully sloshes onto the blower motor fan you risk shorting out the fan ($300 + ) and or the fan speed control relay ($300+). It happened to me; and theses things never occur at a convenient time. As mine is not a super charged XK, it was an easier & durable fix. I do value the sincere ingenuity on this forum, and some times the ideas work, sometimes they don’t as you may have read on this subject alone. As for those who’s comments are only to snipe at others, stick to twitter or fakebook.
Thank you Stu77, I am forever grateful to you, the thread starter DpezXKS whom got the ball rolling, kj07xk who gave us a tool, great pics, dimensions and instructions on how to locate the duck bill, and Chris77 with the master stroke, the endoscope.....you guys saved me an expensive fix

The following 4 users liked this post by KiwiAuldPhart:
Chris77 (06-10-2023), George Abitbol (07-25-2022), Sean W (07-24-2022), V7Sport (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

I wasnt saying you would get exhaust gases in the car. I was saying you could. And these arent my theories either. These are the reasons the engineers used to decide upon the use of the duckbill. So please stop calling me a genius because these arent my ideas or concepts. They were the design considerations of the jaguar engineers. Boy I never imagined being attacked just for trying to explain the reasons behind a design but I get some folks just like to bully others in order to feel superior. Good luck in all your endeavors

Old 07-25-2022, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
I wasnt saying you would get exhaust gases in the car. I was saying you could. And these arent my theories either. These are the reasons the engineers used to decide upon the use of the duckbill. So please stop calling me a genius because these arent my ideas or concepts. They were the design considerations of the jaguar engineers. Boy I never imagined being attacked just for trying to explain the reasons behind a design but I get some folks just like to bully others in order to feel superior. Good luck in all your endeavors
@Aarcuda I can't speak for others but I'm not attacking you. My question is valid. Where would you pour the cleaner? How do you access the evaporator drain pan? If you don't have a procedure, I'm fine with "I don't know". Still waiting for a reply as if there is such a way, others would be interested.

The following users liked this post:
RichardS (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 12:43 PM
Received 198 Likes on 115 Posts

It has been documented that the purpose of the duckbill is to keep out insects from entering the system.
As with any petrol vehicle, there will be some amount of exhaust gas entering the cabin,
the question is how much and what is the acceptable safe amount. the difference with duckbill and without?
most likely immeasurable. The problem with the duckbill is that the rubber becomes hardened due to age
and due to heat and fails to open when required, most japanese cars use an open duck bill type. (and never get clogged)

George Abitbol (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 03:00 PM
Received 185 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
Spewing nonsense and taking people from above sure is not going to bring you flowers.
Now feel free to call yourself bullied when you just reap what you sow...

Old 07-26-2022, 04:04 AM
Received 461 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
.... most japanese cars use an open duck bill type. (and never get clogged)
Most cars, full stop.

Richard

Old 06-08-2023, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duckbill tube size

I want to buy a right angle tool to fit on flex cable for cutting duck bill, I think duck bill is about 7 inches into the space, what I need to know is size, internal id, of tube duckbill sits in and how far up the tube is the end of the duckblll. My mechanic has reached to put some oil on tip and that worked for a while, now need to cut end off duckbill
i think a small right angle drive with a cutter could do the trick, but need dimensional information
i will post if I can make it work

Old 06-08-2023, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,551 Likes on 895 Posts

if someone could clear the photo up with engine out it'll be able to pinpoint

Old 06-08-2023, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,012 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Howell
I want to buy a right angle tool to fit on flex cable for cutting duck bill, I think duck bill is about 7 inches into the space, what I need to know is size, internal id, of tube duckbill sits in and how far up the tube is the end of the duckblll. My mechanic has reached to put some oil on tip and that worked for a while, now need to cut end off duckbill
i think a small right angle drive with a cutter could do the trick, but need dimensional information
i will post if I can make it work
I think most of the info you request are in this thread. Read postings like 35, 44, and 322.
How far into ‘the space’ the duckbill duct sits, depends on where you start your measurement, and 7” sounds a bit too much. It’s a cramped space, so getting some right angle drive in there is a bit optimistic. Look at the tools used in those above posts to get an idea of the space you’re dealing with. I had to put my tool in sideways and then twist to angle it up into the hole where duckbill lives. Up and down motion to saw through the duckbill was very small strokes, not much space.
Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
Chris77 (06-10-2023), Stu72 (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 10:13 AM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I second looking back at the referenced posts for your answer. You will need to fashion your own tool as I and others have done. You will find measurements
for these home made tools in the posts as well. The best tool I saw was a means of fastening an exacto blade to ones finger. That tool appeared only after I had made my own tool from a design provided here and sliced my duckbill to shreds. No more problems for years now. Good Luck, Seek and You will Find.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I have tried a few times with little success in cutting the duckbill or so it seems.
I seem to get no water dripping from the fan when ticking over in the drive but as soon as I drive off I get quite lot drop down from the fan within a few yards. AC system could not have produced this amount in the short time.
so question is there a reservoir in the unit that maybe full up and overflows in the direction of the fan when setting off.
It also appeared to be more excessive water when I accelerated.

Frustrating and I will need to revisit.
I need some more blades.

Old 10-28-2023, 04:17 AM
Received 461 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Woo5ie
I have tried a few times with little success in cutting the duckbill or so it seems.
I seem to get no water dripping from the fan when ticking over in the drive but as soon as I drive off I get quite lot drop down from the fan within a few yards. AC system could not have produced this amount in the short time.
so question is there a reservoir in the unit that maybe full up and overflows in the direction of the fan when setting off.
It also appeared to be more excessive water when I accelerated.

Frustrating and I will need to revisit.
I need some more blades.
The reservoir is simply the plastic housing under the evaporator which fills up when the duckbill is blocked. Eventually it fills up enough to overflow into the fan housing. If the duckbill were simply an open pipe, like most other cars, then the condensate would drain out as fast as it develops.

McJag222 (10-28-2023)