XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

C pillar water leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default C pillar water leak

Hi guys. I was cleaning my recently bought XK when I realized the suede material on the C pillar (I attached an image, not sure what it's called) was soaking wet. Not sure where the water could get it but it's only this part that is wet everything else including the trunk is completely dry. Has anyone faced this issue before? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I tried searching around on the forum but I didn't find anything relatable.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:33 PM
Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by adamszeman
Hi guys. I was cleaning my recently bought XK when I realized the suede material on the C pillar (I attached an image, not sure what it's called) was soaking wet. Not sure where the water could get it but it's only this part that is wet everything else including the trunk is completely dry. Has anyone faced this issue before? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I tried searching around on the forum but I didn't find anything relatable.

​​​​​​

I just checked mine, after being outside during a heavy rain. Dry

possibly the rubber weather strip has a tear or hole in it?

Old 02-16-2024, 05:25 PM
Received 133 Likes on 59 Posts

Along the same line as checking for holes and tears, you should check that the rubber seal is firmly seated along the bottom. Zooming in on your picture, it looks like there may be two places where the rubber isn't seated properly: There maybe a bulge where I circled, and the section I boxed looks to be straight while the upper part of the seal is curved. Either issue would let water seep past the seal.

Another thing to consider is if the weep holes are clogged, although I don't know if there are upper weep holes on the XKR. My old Toyota hatchback had both upper and lower weepholes.

I wish you luck finding this. Leaks are really tough because water can travel a long way in hidden areas before finding an exit that we see. If the seals look good, you might try sliding some blotter or filter paper into the seam between the rubber and fabric, closing the hatch, then running a very small amount of water into the body gap at the top. The leak will be very close to the point where the blotter gets wet.