Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 199 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
is it possible to cut the tip of the duck bill by hand
with the exhaust removed?

my exhaust is being removed right now
!!! i fixed it !!!

on 2010+ jaguars there is sound dampening material cover the hole for the duck bill,
however there is a seam which u can pry open
with your hand and stick your hand in,
i then stuck a tube inside the duck bill withmy finger tips. difficult but doable.

your hand can fit between there from passenger (us cars) side of the vehicle.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Congrats! Who'd a thunk they'd cover the damn hole?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I bit the bullet and dropped my '07 XKR off at the dealer for the A/C condensate/duckbill repair this morning. Jaguar of Farmington Hills (MI). They are also checking a frozen infotainment screen, which happened to pop up this morning. Car has been sitting for 12 days on the CTek, so I don't think it's a battery issue. Also getting a quote on a second key fob. I've also opened a 'case' with Jag NA asking them to assist with the A/C fix. SUpposedly Jag NA will get in touch with the dealership and make a decision after the car is diagnosed. I brought a bunch of pix, diagrams and info on the A/C issue with me, along with info on the TSB re the A/C issue - tech was uninterested. Weird. Keep you posted.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by mkmccoy
I bit the bullet and dropped my '07 XKR off at the dealer for the A/C condensate/duckbill repair this morning. Jaguar of Farmington Hills (MI). They are also checking a frozen infotainment screen, which happened to pop up this morning. Car has been sitting for 12 days on the CTek, so I don't think it's a battery issue. Also getting a quote on a second key fob. I've also opened a 'case' with Jag NA asking them to assist with the A/C fix. SUpposedly Jag NA will get in touch with the dealership and make a decision after the car is diagnosed. I brought a bunch of pix, diagrams and info on the A/C issue with me, along with info on the TSB re the A/C issue - tech was uninterested. Weird. Keep you posted.
Update: Duckbill repair (lowering exhaust and trans) is $629. Infotainment screen software update* is $225. New key fob with programming $400. Still waiting on the decision from Jaguar North America to assist in covering the AC repair.

*I was informed the software update carries a very small risk of frying out the entire unit. I'm rolling the dice.

Last edited by GGG; 12-25-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Add end QUOTE code
Old 07-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

If you decide to get the duck bill problem fixed, rather than replace it, see if they will just cut the thing off. They have to lower the transmission to do either. The cut off is a permanent fix, the replacement will last you a few years.

The following 3 users liked this post by JackJohn:
mkmccoy (07-11-2017), ralphwg (07-11-2017), winstonsalemncxk (08-28-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Jack: They are cutting it - not replacing - permanent fix. Thanks for following up. MKMc

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (08-28-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Default Another update re AC duckbill fix and Jag NA

Jag NA followed up and is sending me $500 in owner loyalty cash usable at any dealer for service, parts, accessories, cash toward car, etc...

Not a total win, but I'll take it. Maybe I can get the dealership doing the repair to do a 'return' on my credit card bill and take this 'cash' when I receive the cert in a few weeks.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

Not bad. they picked up 80%.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2007 XK broke it's water this week wetting the passenger foot well. HVAC Drain clogged. Same thing happens in my XJS and Vette. Took a 1/8" piano wire, bent a 90 in it with a hook at the end and stuck it in the drain from above following the center line of the trans. Kept the wire long so I did not even take off the engine cover. About a gallon water came out. It took me about 5 minutes total repair time and that's after having a few pints of ale. Cheers

robtroxel (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Piano wire technique

Hey Kenny B, can you post a picture of the wire that you used. The duck bill opening points to the front of the car, so curious how you had room to get the wire in there.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK,

robtroxel (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyB
My 2007 XK broke it's water this week wetting the passenger foot well. HVAC Drain clogged. Same thing happens in my XJS and Vette. Took a 1/8" piano wire, bent a 90 in it with a hook at the end and stuck it in the drain from above following the center line of the trans. Kept the wire long so I did not even take off the engine cover. About a gallon water came out. It took me about 5 minutes total repair time and that's after having a few pints of ale. Cheers
Does your car have a supercharger?

Old 12-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Solution to water in foot well at almost no cost

I have had the water flooding problem for a long time
I tried the solution suggested by one member of drilling a hole with a plastic pipe
It didnt work mainly because where the hole was drilled was too high and the water ran into the fan motor before the new drain worked
I purchased a new rubber drain elbow but then realised how much work (or cost) was involved to fit it, so instead I decided to have look as to why it wasnt draining
I bought a cheap Chinese endoscope and attached it to a piece of bent wire and found the existing "ducks bill" elbow.
The end of the elbow was covered in green slime, looking just like the drain on the a/c in the house. That clogs up and has to be cleaned every few months, so why should the car drain be any different?
I removed the fan and used a plastic pipe to blow two cups of soapy water into the a/c housing. Doesnt taste gňod and small pump would be better.
Watching the elbow using the endoscope the soapy water started to drip slowly at first but then turning into a steady trickle
I then put a quart of clean water into the a/c housing which ran through the drain.

Refitted the fan and ran the car and a/c for several days. Drain works as it should.
From now on I will put soapy water through the system once per year to ensure it doesnt clog up again
So my solution costs nothing (next time I wont need the endoscope) and at least so far is a 100% fix.

The following 5 users liked this post by Lauri Frost:
Aonsaithya (12-25-2017), Bill400 (07-03-2020), envincibal (12-28-2017), peterv8 (12-26-2017), u102768 (12-25-2017)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu72
I have 16K on my Convertible and the well documented condensation leak happened to me as well. I read the posts about closing the vents and turning the fan on high, and it worked as far as clearing the line. But before I did this I removed the blower first to get all the water out. It is easy to do, as there are only 3 screws. I then dried everything out as far as I could reach. I then put it back in place, closed the vents, turn the temp up on the climate control to 80, made sure the direction was set to the top vents, turned the fan speed to high and let it rip. I soon saw the water start to poor out of two locations under the car instead of just one. I was guilty of driving with the top down and ac on automatic. In the future, I will only use the ac when the top is up and ensure that it does not kick on when the top is down by turning the temp up to where the outside temp is. THANK YOU FOR ALL WHO POSTED THIS FIX. So far so Good.
Wait... What does that have to do with anything? Anybody please respond who knows. I know this is an old thread.

kj07xk (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000
Wait... What does that have to do with anything? Anybody please respond who knows. I know this is an old thread.
My guess, is that the duckbill was not fully open, so the poster was just getting just a dribble out, and that just ran off one side of the transmission.
After blowing open the duckbill, the flow increased, and was then running down both sides of the transmission.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
My guess, is that the duckbill was not fully open, so the poster was just getting just a dribble out, and that just ran off one side of the transmission.
After blowing open the duckbill, the flow increased, and was then running down both sides of the transmission.
No, I mean the part about driving with the top down and the AC on automatic...

Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by KennyB
I would like to try this method, but I'm having a hard time finding an image or graphic to inform me of where this duckbill exits the underbody. It would be good for someone to post a video or at least progressional pictures of where to go in through the engine bay with this coat-hanger method. Any ideas?

Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Do a search for ‘duck bill’ or ‘duckbill’, there are other threads where this has been discussed. I recall there was one with a line drawing showing the approximate location of the duckbill.

Geosnooker2000 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Do a search for ‘duck bill’ or ‘duckbill’, there are other threads where this has been discussed. I recall there was one with a line drawing showing the approximate location of the duckbill.
Thanks a TON!!! I found it and it looks like this is the solution. Here is a link for anyone that finds the end of this thread and needs to get to the other:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lution-149349/

Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

First, as noted, I have an '08 XK-R. Since joining this XK150 forum, and leaning about this issue, I've chosen the option of closing all vents and turning on the blower full "tilt" and running it for a minute or two. I do this, ever so often, during periods of high humidity. Thus far, it seems to work. I haven't experienced any wet passenger legs.,,,,,,,yet?

Quick Reply: A/C water in Passenger foot well