XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Caliper Paints

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Caliper Paints

Okay, who has had success touching up the Alcon calipers. I'm trying to match the red with a brush on or spray on ceramic. Worst case I can disassemble and re-powder all of them.
Anyone have a paint code that matches or comes close?
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I have touched mine up with enamel model paint. There are so many reds, you will have no trouble finding some. I have also used Rustoleum enamel paint (not spray cans) with success.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I would highly recommend a product made by G2. The G2 Caliper Paint is a special paint designed for brake calipers to resist brake dust, high heat, and will not chip.

You have a few choices of spray to paint on paint products. Caliper paint is sold in a kit. Cost under $50.00 to $60.00. A bright red is available.

As mentioned, Rustoleum brand sells a Caliper paint. Duplicolor also sells a paint kit. I "do not" suggest a spray on application.

#1 Choice): G2 Caliper Paint Kit......Category

Amazon Amazon

#2 Choice): Duplicolor Caliper Paint Kit.....Dupli-Color BCP400 - Brake Caliper Paint Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

With proper cleaning for adhesion, you can obtain a professional look as a DIY project.

I highly suggest and recommend a "brush on" vs "spray on" application. There are many YouTube videos that will provide a basic idea of how you should apply the "brush on" products.

Best to you on your project.

Richard in New Mexico

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-01-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I've had mine done with the duplicolour (XF over metal) and the G2 (XKR over powdercoat). I didnt do either myself, I had the tyre place do it because it was easier for them to put the car on the hoist and get the wheels off.

To tell you the truth, I wasnt 100% happy with either - I think powdercoating would give a much better result. But I couldnt get the prep that comes with the G2 product because of restrictions with overseas products, maybe that would have made a difference. And I am not very handy...

Old 02-13-2017, 05:28 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I used Rust-Oleum Hammered Silver #7213 for a natural OEM look. No extensive prep or primer required.

Unless you have high performance habits your brake calipers will never get hot enough to hurt the paint and a wide range of colors are avail from Rust-Oleum and you save a boat load of cash.

Big Otter (03-08-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Okay, who has had success touching up the Alcon calipers. I'm trying to match the red with a brush on or spray on ceramic. Worst case I can disassemble and re-powder all of them.
Anyone have a paint code that matches or comes close?
Thanks in advance.
They were painted at the factory. Powder coating will look nice, but the amount of prep involved was more than I thought worth it. All of the seals have to be removed and discarded and new seal kits are hundreds of dollars, while you are at it you could replace the pistons with titanium or stainless. Also all of the mounting surfaces, holes & threads would have to be masked. I also read somewhere of issues with heat affecting the powder coating. I chose to go with the paint option, but a different color and VERY pleased with the results.

The following 3 users liked this post by jahummer:
Big Otter (03-08-2017), DGL (02-14-2017), Puntoboy (07-29-2020)
Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer

Well done! I love it. My favorite color for calipers. What did you use for paint? Did you spray for brush? IMO they really stand out and look fabulous. Nice rims too. Are they HRE or knock-offs? Your car looks great.

Last edited by DGL; 02-14-2017 at 02:44 PM.
jahummer (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Well done! I love it. My favorite color for calipers. What did you use for paint? Did you spray for brush? IMO they really stand out and look fabulous. Nice rims too. Are they HRE or knock-offs? Your car looks great.
Thank you! Probably would have stayed with red if the GT and F-Type carbon kits hadn't been optioned. The yellow works VERY well and is brighter than red. The paint is sprayed on with a very small HPLV gun using several layers of multi part high temp catalyst urethane with additional multiple coats of clear for a super high gloss wet glass look and ultra durable scratch and chip resistant finish. So far brake dust and heat have had no ill effect. The wheels are lightweight alloys custom drilled, offset and powder coated similar to the P101 Max had ok his XKR. In fact I was interested in his wheels but someone else got them.