XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Call me crazy... flood XKR...Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 09:38 AM
Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Regardless of what you decide to do with it, I’m certain everyone here will be reading this with great interest.
I suppose if nothing else we will have a parts sale lol

Old 01-29-2023, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

I think you're on the right course. Personally I'd find a cheap junk XFR and swap it's electronics in place. VIN is in the instrument cluster and that may have survived if it's not corroded up. I'd love to find a good flood body and engine for my ratty XKR.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I think you're on the right course. Personally I'd find a cheap junk XFR and swap it's electronics in place. VIN is in the instrument cluster and that may have survived if it's not corroded up. I'd love to find a good flood body and engine for my ratty XKR.

So far so good, although I did find that the car was purchased, cleaned up, and put back into auction to make a quick.buck. They disassembled and cleaned the headlights (as well as painted the reflectors back factory gray) so as to appear they didn't suffer from flooding. They are outrageously expensive. But I have one partially disassembled and my only real concern is the electric motors for the AFS. If I can get a solid solution for those the lights themselves are not that complicated. If I can find a way to get rid of the AFS warning that will occur I will make it a fixed unit.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:21 AM
Received 694 Likes on 345 Posts

There's some truly frightening stuff that happens during the 'prep' of a salvage car for resale. Lots of money to be made by unscrupulous resellers 'polishing a pig' and loading it off on the unsuspecting.

The following 2 users liked this post by mhminnich:
CA Jag (04-17-2023), GoFaster (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFaster
So far so good, although I did find that the car was purchased, cleaned up, and put back into auction to make a quick.buck. They disassembled and cleaned the headlights (as well as painted the reflectors back factory gray) so as to appear they didn't suffer from flooding. .
I'm curious, did this discovery bother you or did you anticipate such actions?
wj

Old 01-30-2023, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by wymjym
I'm curious, did this discovery bother you or did you anticipate such actions?
wj
I didnt really expect thes parts to be bad, but it doesnt surprise me either. That said, it's not a showstopper by any means. But rest assured that Jaguar will never get the money it wants for 2 new ones from me..lol. I will either repair what I have (the only real issue is the 2 motors in them) or I will make them fixed beam until I find an affordable set down the road. If I make them fixed Ill add all the little led accents and such to make them look more up to date. I will Most likely repair them, especially if I can source the motors. Once I got one apart it's not all that complicated inside the light housing itself... the magic happens in the controller module lol.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 703 Likes on 348 Posts

I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to the seller that represented the car through the auction.
wj

Old 01-30-2023, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by wymjym
I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to the seller that represented the car through the auction.
wj
No I hadn't expected that. I do hope I don't find additional shenanigans with the motor and trans. I have checked the engine oil and it had no water present, but of course I can't try to start it until I get it wired back up. If that is the case then it will be decision point on which direction to go. i have already started the headlight repair and should have internals here by the end of the week.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:24 PM
Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow thats worse than anything I could have imagined. Massive respect for taking that on, it would be well beyond most peoples abilities to fix, especially mine. Getting a badly damaged donor car would be the sensible option and selling on the bits you don't use. I hope you manage to fix it, I'll be watching with great interest.
Best of Luck.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Spitjag
Wow thats worse than anything I could have imagined. Massive respect for taking that on, it would be well beyond most peoples abilities to fix, especially mine. Getting a badly damaged donor car would be the sensible option and selling on the bits you don't use. I hope you manage to fix it, I'll be watching with great interest.
Best of Luck.
Thank you. so far it has not been horrible I have found some really good deals on control modules so it is not been as expensive as I thought so far but it is pretty complex and I hope I can keep moving forward so far so good

Old 01-30-2023, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFaster
So far so good, although I did find that the car was purchased, cleaned up, and put back into auction to make a quick.buck. They disassembled and cleaned the headlights (as well as painted the reflectors back factory gray) so as to appear they didn't suffer from flooding. They are outrageously expensive. But I have one partially disassembled and my only real concern is the electric motors for the AFS. If I can get a solid solution for those the lights themselves are not that complicated. If I can find a way to get rid of the AFS warning that will occur I will make it a fixed unit.
Go through the little black wires with a fine tooth comb. The HID lamps UV burn the insulation and it flakes off. Probably not a real issue on a low mileage car but still worth noting. I really with JLR listed the bits inside the major components for more detailed repairs.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:17 PM

Go through the little black wires with a fine tooth comb. The HID lamps UV burn the insulation and it flakes off. Probably not a real issue on a low mileage car but still worth noting. I really with JLR listed the bits inside the major components for more detailed repairs.
I have pin out kits, so I think I can set everything to new standard if needed. Time consuming but worth it.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:18 PM

And thank you for the advice

Old 01-30-2023, 08:26 PM

So just for the sake of show and tell.

Look at the grey piece close to the bottom screw you will see paint on the \"reflector"

If you zoom in very close around the lens you will see a slight masking overspray flash.

What the lights looked like on the car! Took a really sunny day and being in the right position to see the handy work.

Last edited by GoFaster; 01-30-2023 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-31-2023, 10:59 AM
Received 116 Likes on 32 Posts

You're very brave, best of luck with the build. Maybe sourcing a running/wrecked (not flooded) donor is the way to go here? Get as many parts as possible in one shot and maybe make a few bucks back on what you don't use?

Old 02-23-2023, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

@GoFaster how about an update?

Old 02-23-2023, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
@GoFaster how about an update?
Well I have headlights to put in, I have a main harness but im finding great difficulty getting a dash harness. I am shopping for a possible donor car and just missed one for the right price but at that time I was unable to buy from the site..so I fixed that. I have nearly all the control modules, and taillights are in great shape. I have spied another one for a donor but I have to wait for it to be placed in the sale category..meanwhile I wait and do.trivial things that need done. I'm currently cleaning the dash harness connections (by soaking in vinegar) and it seems to be doing a really good job. Next is the hvac box but it's in pretty decent shape. But I'd love to have a swap over donor car as I have this one stripped down, it would be an easy (although laborious) task to do... that's the best update I've got so far: )

The following 7 users liked this post by GoFaster:
CA Jag (04-17-2023), Cee Jay (02-23-2023), DGL (02-23-2023), kj07xk (02-23-2023), McJag222 (02-23-2023), Sean W (02-23-2023), V7Sport (02-23-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2023, 05:42 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 776 Posts

You are brave. Good job! And I suppose you’re right, only a complete tear down an refurbishment will do.
But what a job.
Good luck!

Old 02-24-2023, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by guy
You are brave. Good job! And I suppose you’re right, only a complete tear down an refurbishment will do.
But what a job.
Good luck!
Yeah I figure if I do a complete replacement of the harnesses and modules it should be about normal and only suffer what electronic gremlins all Jags are capable of from the factory. Lol
then being a flood car won't matter if it's all.been replaced.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a fun long term project. Would have been a great COVID stay at home project to keep the sanity going.

Sunscribing and sending good vibes so one day that beast will see the road again.

Quick Reply: Call me crazy... flood XKR...Is it possible?