XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Unfortunately, the workshop manual merely says "To install, reverse the removal procedure." In the removal procedure, they highlight that tube and say "CAUTION: Note the fitted position of the component prior to removal."

Real helpful...

Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 2010 XKR that I just took to the dealership for a pressuretest and just found out the water pump leaks. They quoted me about $900 and I very politely asked for a corporatephone number to call to see if I could get Jaguar to pay for it. Did not buy the car from the local dealershipnor has it ever been there for maintenance as I do that myself. Dealership takes the lead and makes the callfor me and it is now being fixed at no charge. I dropped the car of Monday at 8 AM and had it totally resolved by 9:30AM. 33,000 miles with no extended warranty. Needless to say I've very happy! The Asheville, NC dealership is the best!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Received 443 Likes on 186 Posts

If you own an otherwise flawless 2010 or newer XKR coupe and your water pump is failing I'd be glad to trade you my leak free 2007 XKR coupe as a unselfish act of kindness.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by flyc2c
If you own an otherwise flawless 2010 or newer XKR coupe and your water pump is failing I'd be glad to trade you my leak free 2007 XKR coupe as a unselfish act of kindness.
Hahaha you're a real deal maker. Lets see if there are any takers.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

I wonder if more XKRs have leaking water pumps than XKs. It seems that's the case on this forum, but might be just because of more XKR owners here.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

There has been mention of "catastrophic" water pump failure. I have never seen a major failure in a water pump so I'm a little confused here. My old Ferrari 308 was prone to pump failure due to the early small bearing and seal design but after improvement in the design they seem to hold. I do agree that lack of use is a contributor to leakage but to me catastrophic implies either a sized bearing or a impeller destruction. So what I am trying to grasp is the engine failure due to a mechanically failure of the pump or just leakage of the front seal over a period of time which eventually ends up with low coolant level and engine overheating.
As a side not has anyone heard of or saw an electric water pump installed on one of these motors.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

On my 4.0 XK8, the plastic impeller disintegrated, which was pretty catastrophic as I was on the motorway at the time and once the red light came on, it was a pain getting off. Fortunately, I managed not to cook the engine.

I believe there have been instances with the 5.0 where the bearing has seized, but i agree that most of the cooling-related issues reported on the forum seem to have been due to leaks.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

XKR in for its 3rd water pump right now...1st water pump was replaced in July of 2015.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
XKR in for its 3rd water pump right now...1st water pump was replaced in July of 2015.
Sorry to read that. I presume that they were all covered under warranty.

Can you post the dates, mileage and part numbers from your invoices? That could give us some insight into what to expect.

I'm on my second on my XJ 5.0L SC. No problems with the water pump on my 2009 XKR 4.2L; too bad it doesn't fit the 5.0L.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I just had to replace my water pump at 46k miles. Got the new update thanks to my extended warranty

Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Can you provide more details? The second failure in 6 months is alarming! I would like to know if the latest failed pump was the newest, Italian - made pump? Hopefully not.

I have to take my XKR for a check as my coolant levels have dropped from, max to min during the last 1K miles.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Can you provide more details? The second failure in 6 months is alarming! I would like to know if the latest failed pump was the newest, Italian - made pump? Hopefully not.

I have to take my XKR for a check as my coolant levels have dropped from, max to min during the last 1K miles.
Tech noted it when he was changing out all 4 of my variable valve timing units due to a tick at idle that was rather LOUD. He said the pump failed at the connection between the stub pipe and the pump itself. He is using the newest parts now and replaced the stub pipe which he did not think happened before as the first water pump was leaking from the water pump itself. Make sure they replace the water pump AND all the engine internals dealing with the water pump!!

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

The latest failure was NOT the Italian made pump.

axr6 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

SO far on my 2012 XKR the following has been replaced since purchasing 9/2013 with 10,000 miles on it:

1- All driver side rubber/polymer door seals
2- Driver side rear quarter window re-sealed
3- right diver side door seals only
4- Left driver side window due to scratches and wear (my cost)
5- Water pump x 2, internals x 1
6- Supercharger - yes the entire thing took it in for the marbles problem and they noted sig rotor wear
7-All 4 VVT units I believe called Actuators?
8- The connection tube at the front top of the engine for the air intake system - they accidentally busted it putting it back together this last time after doing the actuators and water pump.
9- Tension Chain Guides
10- Timing Chain with this last actuator and water pumps.

I driven it 17,000 miles and she sits at 27,500

I also corrected and re-sealed the clear coat, front car entire Braw, and had the wheels fixed for curb rash.

LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE HAS GONE INTO MY THE XKR!!

Finally...bought the 4300 dollar 100,000 mile or to 12/2009 extended jaguar warranty. Not a convenience as much a necessity for the trouble ive had

.... still bloody well love the car as much as the day I bought her!! YEAH!!!

Ngarara (01-10-2016)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Just had the water pump & belt replaced on my 2010 XKR vert. with 40K miles on it. The old pump has some play in the shaft which allowed the pulley to wobble. It's a good thing I check the engine compartment fairly regularly as this is where I noticed the odd noises coming from the pump. If I had not I would not have taken it in to get checked out. Thus avoiding a possible catastrophic failure and resulting potential engine damage.

On a side note I had the S/C torsion isolator coupler kit work done only about 1500 miles prior. I can only trust there is no correlation between the two issues.

Also experiencing the bubbling leather on the dash issue.

Occasionally get the AFL blinking light issue as well.

Other than a new battery and tires it has been good.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagRag
Just had the water pump & belt replaced on my 2010 XKR vert. with 40K miles on it. The old pump has some play in the shaft which allowed the pulley to wobble. It's a good thing I check the engine compartment fairly regularly as this is where I noticed the odd noises coming from the pump. If I had not I would not have taken it in to get checked out. Thus avoiding a possible catastrophic failure and resulting potential engine damage.

On a side note I had the S/C torsion isolator coupler kit work done only about 1500 miles prior. I can only trust there is no correlation between the two issues.

Also experiencing the bubbling leather on the dash issue.

Occasionally get the AFL blinking light issue as well.

Other than a new battery and tires it has been good.
Can I ask what the S/C torsion isolator coupler kit work is all about? I have a 2010 XK Coupe with now 9,600 miles. I've complained since purchase ( 3 years ago) about losing coolant slightly and the smell of coolant. After each dealer visit and pressure test, they claim all is well with no signs of leaks. I drive very little and may never get satisfaction. I know the first water pump was crap and there were numerous upgrades since. Unfortunately, I'm at a disadvantage because of driving maybe 1,000 miles a year. Not enough for my condition to progress and be noticeable. I had a 6 year extended warranty which is now 3 years and even offered to pay for the newer upgraded water pump if the dealership covered the labor. They insisted my water pump is fine and i'm wasting my money. If so... why the smell of coolant and the loss as well? even if a modest amount? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 2,629 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Find a different dealership to take your vehicle to.

I trust the Technicians are pressurising the system when cold to 1 bar to see if the pump leaks. The other area(s) losing coolant should also be obvious if they have the system under pressure.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

I just ordered a pump and the surrounding plastic bits. It's been slowly leaking and I can see dried coolant settling under the pump area. Apparently there is another new part number: AJ813909

In may when I queried my dealer, they said that C2Z31587 was the latest and greatest... Now it, and the other numbers mentioned on this forum are once again superseded. sigh... I hope this is the one for all of our sakes!

https://www.northeastjaguarparts.com...water-aj813909

Old 12-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Some coolant smell is normal, since the expansion tank has an outlet for the excess coolant to flow out. It's not a closed system. Even if there is no coolant being discharged, you can smell vapors that escape during normal expansion and contraction.

I just took my XJ in to my dealer for an oil change and mentioned that I occasionally smell coolant. The tech did an inspection and found no dried coolant trails or other signs of the water pump leaking.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Some coolant smell is normal, since the expansion tank has an outlet for the excess coolant to flow out. It's not a closed system. Even if there is no coolant being discharged, you can smell vapors that escape during normal expansion and contraction.

I just took my XJ in to my dealer for an oil change and mentioned that I occasionally smell coolant. The tech did an inspection and found no dried coolant trails or other signs of the water pump leaking.
I questioned my Jaguar shop foreman about any seepage from the weep hole of the water pump. His answer was no. No signs of the coolant crusting in that area. I went one step further. I took the car to my trust worthy Indie that also examined the water pump as best he could. Same answer... No signs of coolant leakage. Maybe leaking somewhere else? Both Jaguar and my Indie did look around the engine compartment to see nothing that resembled any coolant leak. Am I over the top OCD because of all the negativity on our water pumps? If so.... why the coolant loss regardless of how small needs to be added? Remember, if I drove this car like a normal person and put 10,000+ miles a year instead of less than 1,000 wouldn't the coolant loss be significantly more?

Quick Reply: Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump