XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I don't agree that there is always a coolant smell. The cooling system is a closed system and the only way coolant can get out is either through overheating due to some blockage which caused the pressure cap to vent or through a leak. The coolant level in the tank will raise and lower based on temperature of the coolant. That's why there is a min and max line in the system and you will see different levels at different times of the heat cycle. So if the coolant is below the min line when the car is cold (overnight) then you have a leak. I have put 15K miles on my 2012 in the last 3 years and have not seen any variation of the coolant level. I check it weekly and will wait to see if this issue eventually comes up.

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (12-24-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Can I ask what the S/C torsion isolator coupler kit work is all about? I have a 2010 XK Coupe with now 9,600 miles. I've complained since purchase ( 3 years ago) about losing coolant slightly and the smell of coolant. After each dealer visit and pressure test, they claim all is well with no signs of leaks. I drive very little and may never get satisfaction. I know the first water pump was crap and there were numerous upgrades since. Unfortunately, I'm at a disadvantage because of driving maybe 1,000 miles a year. Not enough for my condition to progress and be noticeable. I had a 6 year extended warranty which is now 3 years and even offered to pay for the newer upgraded water pump if the dealership covered the labor. They insisted my water pump is fine and i'm wasting my money. If so... why the smell of coolant and the loss as well? even if a modest amount? Any feedback would be appreciated.
S/C = Super Charger...which means no issue for you (as you have a N/A XK.) I thought perhaps when they did that work they may have stressed the water pump when removing/replacing the belt, and thus it may have been related to my failure. But probably not as the water pump is a known weak point on all of the JLR 5.0L engines.
As for your issue, IMHO if you are losing fluid and can smell coolant then you probably do have a very small leak somewhere in the system. I agree with another recent comment to try another shop and get a pressure test.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

2010 XK NA 38,000 miles. Got the pump changed out yesterday at the dealer. P/N AJ813909. Made in Italy. They said it was leaking from the outlet tube and the pump. Pump wasn't making any noise and the leak was very slow, settling in the "valley of the engine". I was able to see some orange under the water pump pulley and smell it when the car was stopped and I got out. God I hate that smell....

Like we all know already, my service manager said this is very common and Jaguar is not reimbursing any costs. I did get 10% off though

Old 12-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

So how much was it?

Old 12-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 110reef
So how much was it?
Dealer quoted $1400, ~650 parts, ~750 labor. Quote listed part numbers for the pump, 2 outlet tubes, and an oring. I bought the parts from https://www.northeastjaguarparts.com in NJ for $300 planning on doing it myself but I was never getting time to do it. I couldn't get any good feedback on local indys and a long time Jag enthusiast friend recommended the dealer so I just paid the dealer their $700. Done and done.... for now....

Old 12-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Good to know. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2017, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Mine's started making That Smell. Nothing dripping onto the ground, but will have to have a poke around.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Mine's started making That Smell. Nothing dripping onto the ground, but will have to have a poke around.
My XKR has been making That Smell ever since I got it 4 years ago with 5K miles on it. Now it has 13K miles and still smelling coolant after shutdown. Not loosing any coolant and the dealer test showed no leaks.

Puzzling...

Old 12-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

I don't think Jaguar has yet figured out how to fix their water pump after what, like five iterations? I replaced a 5.0 pump in August, along with the hose reroute per the TSB and still kept smelling a whiff of coolant so I marked the tank and confirmed the level dropped 3/16 inch over the next few months. Dealer did a pressure test last week and said the NEW pump was leaking same as the original and replaced the 4 month old pump under warranty. Jaguar engineers just seem to have a mental block when it comes to water pumps. The aftermarket finally saved us from disintegrating plastic impellers on the 4.0L. Will the aftermarket save us from leaks on the 5.0L?

Old 12-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
My XKR has been making That Smell ever since I got it 4 years ago with 5K miles on it. Now it has 13K miles and still smelling coolant after shutdown. Not loosing any coolant and the dealer test showed no leaks.

Puzzling...
Maybe the smell you are smelling is not antifreeze. It doesn't make sense that you pressure test with no loss of pressure and the coolant tank is not showing signs of loss and the dealer could not find any leak like the water pump weep hole. It just could be a hot engine smell mixed with all of the under bonnet plastic and rubber. Then again maybe you ran over a plastic bag and some of it is stuck somewhere.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Maybe the smell you are smelling is not antifreeze. It doesn't make sense that you pressure test with no loss of pressure and the coolant tank is not showing signs of loss and the dealer could not find any leak like the water pump weep hole. It just could be a hot engine smell mixed with all of the under bonnet plastic and rubber. Then again maybe you ran over a plastic bag and some of it is stuck somewhere.
There is no chance for me to miss-identify coolant smell. Decades of track racing left me with a keen sense of smelling, hearing or otherwise perceiving abnormalities in my cars. The most worrisome trip was the 1000+ miles drive through the summer
​​Arizona deserts in 2016 where even my lovely niece could smell the coolant whenever we made a stop. Needless to say I always carry with me a spare, Italian-made, water pump just in case I have a failure long distances from a dealer. It definitely takes away from the enjoyment of this otherwise fantastic machine.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Pressure testing will not necessarily show anything with small leaks. A tiny leak from a weep hole may not show any leaks if you leave the pressure tester on for 24 hrs or longer. We are also dealing with expanding and contracting from the heat. I had the weep hole examined by Jaguar and my Indie and both could not find any residue. I've given up with my coolant smell and having to add very small amounts of coolant. My car was twice pressure tested over night and held pressure. I don't travel long distances as my car is strictly for pleasure with relatively short trips. I'll just have to live with it as no one has a clue. Am I happy? No, but until I find the source, there is no point in changing the water pump only to possibly find it is leaking somewhere else.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Yup, the one you take off might be much better than the one you are putting on.

bocatrip (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Pressure testing will not necessarily show anything with small leaks. A tiny leak from a weep hole may not show any leaks if you leave the pressure tester on for 24 hrs or longer. We are also dealing with expanding and contracting from the heat. I had the weep hole examined by Jaguar and my Indie and both could not find any residue. I've given up with my coolant smell and having to add very small amounts of coolant. My car was twice pressure tested over night and held pressure. I don't travel long distances as my car is strictly for pleasure with relatively short trips. I'll just have to live with it as no one has a clue. Am I happy? No, but until I find the source, there is no point in changing the water pump only to possibly find it is leaking somewhere else.
I'm afraid I may have the same issue. After the dealer diagnosed and changed a faulty pump and outlet tube(s) 2 weeks ago, I am still having to add coolant in small amounts. I still smell coolant once the engine is turned off and I exit the car, but that could be the old dried up coolant burning off since it's only been 2 weeks since my pump change. I checked the coolant level the day of the repair and it was at the max line. I checked it yesterday (2 weeks later) and it was just above the min line. I am hoping it is still bleeding the system but I don't have much hope after reading your comments.

I'll watch it for a month or so and take it back in if it is still losing coolant to see if they have an explanation.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
I'm afraid I may have the same issue. After the dealer diagnosed and changed a faulty pump and outlet tube(s) 2 weeks ago, I am still having to add coolant in small amounts. I still smell coolant once the engine is turned off and I exit the car, but that could be the old dried up coolant burning off since it's only been 2 weeks since my pump change. I checked the coolant level the day of the repair and it was at the max line. I checked it yesterday (2 weeks later) and it was just above the min line. I am hoping it is still bleeding the system but I don't have much hope after reading your comments.

I'll watch it for a month or so and take it back in if it is still losing coolant to see if they have an explanation.
Shemp. Your symptoms sound identical to mine. Considering your water pump (assuming it was the original) was replaced, I'm more than curious why your symptoms have not changed after the pump was replaced. With regards to bleeding the system, I would assume that was done at the dealership if the work was done at Jaguar. Did you have any kind of warranty for this work? Was it done at Jaguar? Did you check to see if the latest updated water pump was used? Feel free to send me a personal message if you would like to discuss in detail. Good luck and I hope we can get some satisfaction with an on going issue.

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-27-2017 at 04:26 PM.
shemp (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Shemp. Your symptoms sound identical to mine. Considering your water pump (assuming it was the original) was replaced, I'm more than curious why your symptoms have not changed after the pump was replaced. With regards to bleeding the system, I would assume that was done at the dealership if the work was done at Jaguar. Did you have any kind of warranty for this work? Was it done at Jaguar? Did you check to see if the latest updated water pump was used? Feel free to send me a personal message if you would like to discuss in detail. Good luck and I hope we can get some satisfaction with an on going issue.
I don't know if it was the original pump but there was no pump replacement on record, so I can assume it was. Yes, the system was bled at the dealer. Yes, it was done at the Jag dealer )I bought the car from), yes it was the latest pump (see my post above) and yes there is a 1 yr warranty on parts and labor. Like I said, I'll watch it like I have been for the past 6 months and if it keeps lowering, I'll be back to the dealer.

I HATE smelling coolant!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shemp
I don't know if it was the original pump but there was no pump replacement on record, so I can assume it was. Yes, the system was bled at the dealer. Yes, it was done at the Jag dealer )I bought the car from), yes it was the latest pump (see my post above) and yes there is a 1 yr warranty on parts and labor. Like I said, I'll watch it like I have been for the past 6 months and if it keeps lowering, I'll be back to the dealer.

I HATE smelling coolant!
I'm not crazy about smelling coolant either, but more concerned about a catastrophic failure ultimately resulting in engine damage from overheating.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not crazy about smelling coolant either, but more concerned about a catastrophic failure ultimately resulting in engine damage from overheating.
yea, and there's that

I'm less worried about a pump failure since I have the new one now but I'm not real confident if there is still a leak that I can no longer see.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

'I once knew a man who died before his time as he was worried sick about his engine failing and it never did.' Churchill.

Guys, how many times have you heard of someone here melting an engine from cooling system failure- and there have been ample failures. In each instance the price they have had to pay has been less than what you are paying without even having the failure.

But now that you have proactively recreated the scenario of a water pump failure, sans the waiting on the side of the road for an hour. I would live at the dealership till they made the coolant smell disappear, or refund half my money for misdiagnosis. On second thought, its like asking a kid to give the candy back, just get some other work done pro-bono.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 12-28-2017 at 11:36 AM.
shemp (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Worrying about your new water pump leaking is like worrying about the zombie apocalypse, except that the zombies smell worse!

Quick Reply: Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump