XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

If it is any help. A guy on this forum living in UAE- think death valley.
He blew a water pump on a desert hwy and continued to drive a very long way. Cause he was oblivious and there are no exits on that freeway. All he had to replace was the water pump.

The point is that, our Jags wont leave even the clueless entirely abandoned. Nor cause significant damage.

In contrast; my Maserati would shut down anytime it was idled for more than 5mins due to heat and not restart for 30 mins till completely cool. Friday nights in the line for the bank teller was fun and humiliating. And the bearings on the turbos cooked and seized anyway.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
If it is any help. A guy on this forum living in UAE- think death valley.
He blew a water pump on a desert hwy and continued to drive a very long way. Cause he was oblivious and there are no exits on that freeway. All he had to replace was the water pump.

The point is that, our Jags wont leave even the clueless entirely abandoned. Nor cause significant damage.
Yea, I remember, and I've read all of the water pump threads

Agree Q&C. And like I said, I'm less worried now that I have the latest Italian pump and new plastic tubes. Even before, I had a visible leak but no pump pulley wobble.

But, I'm sure you would agree that having to add coolant on a weekly basis is somewhat annoying, especially after getting it repaired. I will be visiting the dealer again if it continues and I'll update the thread for others' benefit.

You have a 2010, any water pump issues on yours?

Old 12-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
You have a 2010, any water pump issues on yours?
Coolant smell. Without losing any coolant.

You did the right thing. Now you have shifted the onus on the dealership to ensure that the thing you paid for is solved, which was the coolant smell. If they say, well it was something else, I would tell them to experiment and learn on their nickle.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:39 PM
Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

So like many others on here, my 2013 XKR has had the frequent coolant smell, and I've had to add about two cups of coolant over the 8k miles I've driven it. Decided to have the dealer investigate and just got a brief email from the service advisor that he is getting the water pump replaced under warranty and that the car should be ready tomorrow. Didn't get the email until after he was gone for the day so I didn't get any details. I'm hoping to get in touch with him in the morning before they start work. Should I go ahead and have them replace anything else while there at it even if not part of the warranty work? Anything else I should ask?

Last edited by Simon Tan; 02-01-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Coolant smell. Without losing any coolant.

You did the right thing. Now you have shifted the onus on the dealership to ensure that the thing you paid for is solved, which was the coolant smell. If they say, well it was something else, I would tell them to experiment and learn on their nickle.
Hi Queen and Country. I am not at all trying to dispute you.. however, if you are getting a coolant smell with our cars, you should be losing coolant. If you are absolutely sure you are not losing coolant, there should not be any coolant smell.

sparky fuze (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
So like many others on here, my 2013 XKR has had the frequent coolant smell, and I've had to add about two cups of coolant over the 8k miles I've driven it. Decided to have the dealer investigate and just got a brief email from the service advisor that he is getting the water pump replaced under warranty and that the car should be ready tomorrow. Didn't get the email until after he was gone for the day so I didn't get any details. I'm hoping to get in touch with him in the morning before they start work. Should I go ahead and have them replace anything else while there at it even if not part of the warranty work? Anything else I should ask?
Thank you Simon Tan. Excactly as you have said... I too have been smelling coolant for a number of years. However, I drive so little I am adding a number of ounces or a half of cup at a time. I drive under 1,000 miles a year. Still no one wants to address my original water pump (2010) and I've paid for an Easy Care Gold extended warranty costing $3,800. My question is this....Why after all these threads about the 2010+ water pumps do I still have my original water pump with no resolve??? Come on! It's not a big deal to replace the XK water pump. And I have the warranty. But it is a big deal once it fails and the head gasket and or engine fails! WTF Not loving Jaguar.

sparky fuze (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Thank you Simon Tan. Excactly as you have said... I too have been smelling coolant for a number of years. However, I drive so little I am adding a number of ounces or a half of cup at a time. I drive under 1,000 miles a year. Still no one wants to address my original water pump (2010) and I've paid for an Easy Care Gold extended warranty costing $3,800. My question is this....Why after all these threads about the 2010+ water pumps do I still have my original water pump with no resolve??? Come on! It's not a big deal to replace the XK water pump. And I have the warranty. But it is a big deal once it fails and the head gasket and or engine fails! WTF Not loving Jaguar.
Boca I'm just trying to interpret you issue here but are you saying you believe your WP is bad but the dealer or warranty com. does not so they won't cover replacement. Then I gotta ask if you are so concerned about it why don't you get it replaced on your dime. As you say it would be a cheap fix instead of having to replace a blown engine. If it's no big deal to replace then it shouldn't cost that much. Just askin

Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Boca I'm just trying to interpret you issue here but are you saying you believe your WP is bad but the dealer or warranty com. does not so they won't cover replacement. Then I gotta ask if you are so concerned about it why don't you get it replaced on your dime. As you say it would be a cheap fix instead of having to replace a blown engine. If it's no big deal to replace then it shouldn't cost that much. Just askin
Jagtoes. You might very well be right as rain! However, since my car most likely is not at the point of major failure at 9,800 miles it's more a matter of not getting satisfaction from my almost 4,000 dollar warranty that gives me nada that is the issue. Yes... If I thought I might be facing an immment issue I would be replacing my water pump. Jagtoes. I don't know you well. I'm a senior citizen and am over 60 years and won't be here forever. I refuse to change the waterpump for a known factory defect. and am willing to die before I do. Bingo.

sparky fuze (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Boca, if I were in your position I would stop adding coolant (perhaps even take some out to make up for what you have added over the last year or two) and then take it in for inspection. Tell the shop that you have been losing coolant (as you have been) and then tell them you need the water pump replaced before it's probable failure causes any serious damage to your engine. Then let them decided if they still want to risk it. There are numerous TSB out on replacing the water pump on the 5.0L Jags and they will surely find them once they look.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Oh, and just before you take it in, spill a little coolant around the water pump area and let it gather on the under-tray. That way they should both see it and smell it.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Oh, and just before you take it in, spill a little coolant around the water pump area and let it gather on the under-tray. That way they should both see it and smell it.
That's not cheating; it's a strategy!
Can't miss seeing and smelling it!

Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Jagtoes. You might very well be right as rain! However, since my car most likely is not at the point of major failure at 9,800 miles it's more a matter of not getting satisfaction from my almost 4,000 dollar warranty that gives me nada that is the issue. Yes... If I thought I might be facing an immment issue I would be replacing my water pump. Jagtoes. I don't know you well. I'm a senior citizen and am over 60 years and won't be here forever. I refuse to change the waterpump for a known factory defect. and am willing to die before I do. Bingo.
OK Boca I got you . Oh by the way you're just a kid as I have 14 years on you.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 PM

...it's more a matter of not getting satisfaction from my almost 4,000 dollar warranty that gives me nada that is the issue. [...]I refuse to change the waterpump for a known factory defect.
Boca, have you gone to another dealer to get a second opinion? I've had three different issues resolved under warranty now by two different dealers, and both seemed more than willing to go to bat with the third-party extended warranty that I negotiated into the price of my car from yet another dealer that was out-of-state. The cost of the warranty was about the same as yours, and I'm guessing I will have almost gotten the value of the warranty back after the water pump is replaced ($TBD) along with the TPMS module ($TBD). The previous issue was with the fuel evaporator pump ($1100). Like you, I don't think I was in any danger of a catastrophic failure, but reading this forum can make one a bit paranoid, so I'm pretty glad to get the water pump replaced under warranty even if it's perhaps just a preemptive measure.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 02-01-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
. Should I go ahead and have them replace anything else while there at it even if not part of the warranty work? Anything else I should ask?
If a dealer is doing it, specifically Park Place Jaguar where I went, they will most likely also change both outlet tubes since they are plastic and only accessible when the pump is removed. Worth a call to make sure though. They are only $50 or so. Even if the warranty co. didn't pay, I'd do it anyway.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

If a dealer is doing it, specifically Park Place Jaguar where I went, they will most likely also change both outlet tubes since they are plastic and only accessible when the pump is removed. Worth a call to make sure though. They are only $50 or so. Even if the warranty co. didn't pay, I'd do it anyway.
Shemp... Dealerships here in Florida are way different in deciding to honor a claim. Regardless if it's under manufacturers warranty or 3rd party, they are rough stuff. I've been denied 3 times for my water pump although there have been TSBS on the water pump and many failures. My next step is to change dealerships.. Coming up soon. To be continued.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Shemp... Dealerships here in Florida are way different in deciding to honor a claim. Regardless if it's under manufacturers warranty or 3rd party, they are rough stuff. I've been denied 3 times for my water pump although there have been TSBS on the water pump and many failures. My next step is to change dealerships.. Coming up soon. To be continued.
yea I'm familiar with your situation and I hope you find someone to change the pump under your warranty. I was answering Simon's question. My dealer said they replace the plastic parts with the pump.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:38 PM

Got my car back today. Dealer did a pressure test, confirmed water pump was leaking, and replaced it, the plastic pipes, and o-ring. Dealer also replaced my TPMS module. Total bill covered under my third-party extended warranty was $1,740.00. Between that and the evaporator pump, I've now gotten back about 75% of the cost of the warranty. I've also got peace of mind now by knocking out the two most common issues that seem to pop up on this forum, so back to just enjoying the car .

Old 02-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad pumps.

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just wanted to move to a thread talking to the discussed issue of the water pump. Does anyone know when the "improved " version of the water pump was put into the SIII XKR. Was there a TSB or is there a vin number when they cut this in. How do you know if you have the updated version or if you have one that is prone to failure. Also what is the failure rate of the bad design pump or can they run for 100k miles without failure. If this was a 5.0L problem was it corrected in 2011 or 2012 or 2013 .
The water pump in my 2011 xf 5.0 failed at ~50k miles.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

I'm afraid I may have the same issue. After the dealer diagnosed and changed a faulty pump and outlet tube(s) 2 weeks ago, I am still having to add coolant in small amounts. I still smell coolant once the engine is turned off and I exit the car, but that could be the old dried up coolant burning off since it's only been 2 weeks since my pump change. I checked the coolant level the day of the repair and it was at the max line. I checked it yesterday (2 weeks later) and it was just above the min line. I am hoping it is still bleeding the system but I don't have much hope after reading your comments.

I'll watch it for a month or so and take it back in if it is still losing coolant to see if they have an explanation.
Ok so it's been about a month and I've been monitoring the level weekly. I am happy to say the coolant level has not gone down any more than the initial amounts I had to add after the pump replacement, assuming there was still a little bleeding needed after the install. Also, the coolant smell is only very slight now after parking in the garage, assuming (again) that most of the dried coolant has burned off. This, I can handle.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Shemp. Do you happen to have your water pumps part number on the work order? Just curious if they have sperseded the part once again. I hope your issue is fixed and please keep us updated. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump