XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 07:56 AM
Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Car Insurance

Does anyone have "Hagerty Classic Car Insurance ?
They are located in my hometown and I have a number of friends working for them.
They insure cars around the world and have some pretty expensive and famous cars in their business.
They have a beautiful showroom with windows to the street that display a different car every three months or so.
Some of those are just classic while others have movie history.
Am looking at them to insure my 2010 XK,

The following 2 users liked this post by jbmi:
Debs 2015 Jaguar (12-24-2020), figagnt (12-24-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I had them on a Corvette i owned. They are EXTREMELY restrictive in the use of the vehicle. I never had a claim but apparently they're good on addressing it. I don't pay an awful lot more to have regular full coverage on my car than Hagerty offers.

They're a decent insurance company if you are low mileage, don't drive it to work, don't use it for errands, Have a new enough daily driver, etc.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmi
..... I have a number of friends working for them. ..... expensive and famous cars in their business. ..... a beautiful showroom with windows to the street that display a different car every three months or so. .....
Are you promoting Hagerty Classic Car Insurance or seeking opinions?

Graham

The following users liked this post:
JagGuardian (12-24-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:30 AM

Just asking, Sometimes we need to talk about something besides all the trouble these cars bring.
They are located in our little town, and was just interested in if anyone here or over seas has a connection to where I live.

GGG (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

You've not shared what premium they're quoting?

For mt 2014 xk Dynamic R I use comparison sites each year, this years annual quote is £309/425 USD.

I think that's pretty good for a fire write-off on my old x100 2.5yrs ago.

15yrs no claims
6k miles limit

Old 12-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

I got a quote from them, however there are two people and two cars in my household so the CS rep told me that it might be difficult to convince the underwriters to move mine forward. Ideally you need more cars than people, they ensure cars that are infrequently driven like show cars and such. Not daily drivers, so the assumption with 2 people and 2 cars is both are daily drivers.

I suggested them to a friend of mine who has multiple spare cars and he switched to them, saved quite a bit. This subject, like most, has already been brought up in the past, here is some more info especially later in the thread:

Occasional Use Insurance - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 12-23-2020, 10:07 AM

Have not contacted at all, right now I have very good insurance through a company that insures educators only.
I have been told by my friends at Hagerty to give them a chance, may do so when I take it out of the barn in April.
It is just a summer car, I just bought it late this fall, it's 10 years old with 50K so I don't think it was a daily driver.
I had my 03 BMW Z4 for 17 years and the about the last 5 years only averaged about 1,700 miles each summer.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:16 AM

tampamark
Thanks for the link, didn't see it before.
Answers the same question I ask here.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Received 327 Likes on 186 Posts

I just got an online quote from Hagerty and it's higher than my current State Farm insurance for less coverage, and allows me less miles/year. Thanks, but...

Sean W (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 10:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmi
Just asking, Sometimes we need to talk about something besides all the trouble these cars bring.
They are located in our little town, and was just interested in if anyone here or over seas has a connection to where I live.
I didn't realise Hagerty started in Traverse City, Michigan and the HQ is still there. Now I understand your interest.

Graham

Old 12-23-2020, 11:03 AM
Received 272 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
I just got an online quote from Hagerty and it's higher than my current State Farm insurance for less coverage, and allows me less miles/year. Thanks, but...
Same here. State Farm has pretty decent rates, particularly if you've got car/home/etc . I took all our ins to a competitor last year and they couldn't touch State Farm's rates for identical coverage. I've had State Farm since I started driving in 1973.

Clellandm (02-18-2021)
Old 12-23-2020, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Hagerty is not the only collector car insurance game in town; they have many competitors. Shop around and compare prices, usage restrictions, and customer satisfaction reviews. Make sure to compare apples-to-apples with coverage limits, deductibles, and other features and limitations. Collector car insurance companies are listed and reviewed here:
https://insurify.com/blog/car-insura...xoCCYUQAvD_BwE

You should insure your pride and joy for a stated value, as it's worth far more to you than if it was a typical used car. That'll avoid a dispute about what it's worth if it's wrecked.

Assuming all things being equal, premiums will vary by state due to various factors, such as zip code (population density), loss experience, marketing objectives, etc. Rates are filed with the each state's Insurance Commissioner's office and are public records.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:39 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I have Grundy for three of my cars including XKR. Saves me a ton. I actually have three different insurance companies and it works out to be cheaper. I need one car on my home insurance otherwise those premiums skyrocket, I have two on a pay-per-mile carrier as I barely drive, and three on Grundy.

I generally say you want to be out of the pool of Nissan-driving-texting-and-drinking idiots and in the pool of people who park five spaces away from other cars and baby every scratch.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:45 PM

I find insurance premiums to be so aggravating in general. They (traditional carrier my home is with) want me to pay $$$ for my Jaguar XJ which is barely worth more than a Camry these days. Then they'll say, well that's because Jaguar parts and repairs are expensive, while the reality is that these days any accident is a total and they'll be writing me a check that is barely worth more than a Camry.

So I much prefer stated value carriers like Grundy or Hagerty. And put the family crossover on the homeowners insurance, because for some stupid reason unless those are bundled, home premiums more than double.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
And put the family crossover on the homeowners insurance, because for some stupid reason unless those are bundled, home premiums more than double.
The reason is annoying to you but from the carrier's perspective certainly not stupid. The carrier wants to hoover as much [$$] [insert applicable currency symbol here] out of your pocket as possible, so they give you a discount to bundle. It's like a volume discount.

My guess is that insurers evaluate multi-coverage insurance as less risky than single-coverage. The carrier is collecting a premium for each of your home, auto, maybe jewelry or home business and umbrella policies, but the risk that you will have a claim under each of these policies in a single premium rating period is incredibly low. And if you do have a claim, your rates for that cover will surely go up.

Win-win for them.

Last edited by Bill Mack; 12-23-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

All we can do is gather info on how well a carrier can or can't do and give a try towards rates. Insurance is very hard to compare. I have the same carrier as my workout partner, same SUV, year, make model and trim (for a short period of time at least). Yet his insurance was 20% less than mine for similar declaration sheet, when I called the carrier ask why my rate for the same is so much more he says it is because of zip code. Only difference is we live 5 miles apart. So for those of on the forum with significant differences in locale, state, rural vs urban, it becomes even harder to compare.

Sigh, I cannot even bundle, USAA doesn't right homeowners policies in my area anymore. Trying to find a company that does car and home in Florida is getting rough! Again based on various zip code and density data for carriers. Seems they don't want to be too heavily exposed should a large segment of their covered area be wiped off the Earth in a hurricane.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:13 PM

The reason is annoying to you but from the carrier's perspective certainly not stupid. The carrier wants to hoover as much [$$] [insert applicable currency symbol here] out of your pocket as possible. It's like a volume discount.

My guess is that insurers evaluate multi-coverage insurance as less risky than single-coverage. The carrier is collecting a premium for each of your home, auto, maybe jewelry or home business and umbrella policies, but the risk that you will have a claim under each of these policies in a single premium rating period is incredibly low. And if you do have a claim, your rates for that cover will surely go up.

Win-win for them.
Doesn't make sense with the numbers I was given. Using rough yearly numbers for simplicity:

Without car, $6000 for homeowners insurance
With car, $3000 for homeowners insurance, and $750 for single car insurance

I just saw it was them wanting me to bundle and pay their insane rates for my cars. I can't even imagine what they wanted for some of them after having them quote my XJ. I put the cheapest car I own in bundle and went elsewhere for the rest.

The idea that adding more cars to a policy and costing ~80% of what the car would get alone doesn't make more sense to me either. I'm either driving one or the other. While one isn't being driven, it's parked in a garage and its risk of claim is minimal.

And since none of my cars exceed even 1500 miles a year, pay-per-mile insurance is a win for the cars that Grundy won't cover as they aren't considered "collectible".

Old 12-23-2020, 04:25 PM

Given those numbers, I agree. But I've not seen such a steep discount for bundling. Which carrier?

You may not want to say, but what's the market value of your house? Mine is in the mid-$300Ks and our HO cover is less than $800/year (bundled with car, jewelry and umbrella).

Maybe we could sell our house and rent one of the wings of yours?

Old 12-23-2020, 04:29 PM

Given those numbers, I agree. But I've not seen such a steep discount for bundling. Which carrier?

You may not want to say, but what's the market value of your house? Mine is in the mid-$300Ks and our HO cover is less than $800/year (bundled with car, jewelry and umbrella).

Maybe we could sell our house and rent one of the wings of yours?
Metlife. Not too comfortable sharing specific details but I know the "replacement value" or whatever the rebuild value is, is a significant factor in my premium. Other way of saying that my property value sucks, welcome to Illinois.

From what the agent was telling me, no one wants to sell home-only policies, so there aren't a lot of options.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 PM

I guess we'll stay in PA. No caviar for us!

ExKayRick (12-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Car Insurance