XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Whatever you may save in insurance premiums moving to IL will be sucked up by property taxes.

I have heard that FL and TX have very high insurance rates though. Like Tampamark said very dependent on location.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

I just spent 15 minutes or less and saved a bundle on my car.... ok someone was thinking it:-)

I'm not seeing anything about standard insurance based on actual cash value vs replacement cost coverage. World of difference?

From an insurance perspective, I drive a 14 year old car that is insured against actual cash value, not replacement cost. I know carriers use their own proprietary systems to determine ACV but lets go crazy and use KBB to get a rough idea. Knowing also that ACV translates closer to trade in value than private party sale, the top end puts my car at $11,000. Per Stuart's point, here in MN, a car is totaled @ 70% threshold of ACV. So $7700 in repairs totals her. Now I could buy it back, but if the repairs on a 14 year old car are going to cost $7700. I don't want it. I would never be happy with it.

From my perspective, while I love my car. I won't pay up for replacement cost. The car just isn't worth it to me.

As far as bundling, check again. I was with State Farm years ago, home and auto. I unbundled. I insure the car with Geico and the home with State Farm. None of them came close in premiums when I tried bundling.

And for those who have replacement coverage, how does that work when Jaguar no longer makes the car?

Not addressing Hagerty at all and maybe their "coverage" results in a different outcome. Again, here in MN, a classic isn't a classic until it's 25 years old.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Hagerty does have good track insurance rates however.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Received 341 Likes on 208 Posts

I do have Hagerty (agreed value at $25k USD). It is a Sunday driver policy although no set mileage limit and $0 deductible. I do have the required daily driver cars for both my wife and me although I could argue being retired and with limited COVID driving, one daily driver between us is sufficient but my wife likes her vintage Avalon.
Yearly Hagerty cost was half of adding it to my existing Progressive policy (although happy with them and a long time customer) which lumped the car in to a daily driver category. My liability limits are also high to qualify for umbrella coverage under my homeowners policy.
My homeowners policy company doesn’t insure cars. And, while not nearly as bad as TampaMark’s headache with Florida homeowners insurance, companies are pretty picky here in my area of RI due to proximity to the coast. So I try to keep them happy. Replacement cost of the home is way higher than real estate market valuation.
As several people noted, rates are highly locale and state law dictated. Wrestling with jello to compare rates with each other. I thought Hagerty was a fair deal in my circumstances. And like all insurance, I hope to never use it. With all the local personal injury lawyers, liability coverage is far more important than car coverage to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by V7Sport:
JagGuardian (12-24-2020), Sean W (12-23-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:01 AM
Received 695 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm really happy with Grundy. I have my Porsche 356 as the collector car and everything else added as daily drivers. Even with a 'youthful driver ' with an accident record, the rates are considerably lower than I was getting with other carriers.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 917 Posts

I have Traveler's on my daily drivers,the XKR and an Audi Q5. I am with Hagerty on my XJS. Prior to getting the XJS I was with State Farm. I carry up to $1 million on all autos for liability with an umbrella up to $10 million on all three cars and I am now at $2k less than a year ago and have an agreed value on the XJS ( it is one of 346 with a 6 litre V12. There is a mileage limit on the XJS of 3k per year, which I think is more than reasonable for $600 per year for all risks other than the umbrella coverage. Oh, and I moved all my household coverage to Travelers as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by ralphwg:
Sean W (12-24-2020), V7Sport (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Hagerty for my 1996 Vanden Plas - I have been very pleased, so far, with the coverage, which I took when I bought the car about 2 years ago - used their towing when a faulty electrical circuit (?) caused my car not to start...apparently no surprise to most Jaguar owners...It was relieved by relocking and unlocking the driver's side door, but neither the towtruck driver nor me knew that at the time. :-) I bought my VDP because I think it's the best looking car on the road, well, along with other "classic" styled Jags. ;-D I am still looking for the right XJS from that era (another eye-catching beauty in my budget)!

Old 12-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Get quotes from multiple reputable carriers that you're confident will be solvent should you ever need to make a claim, not only for the car but in the event you or a passenger are injured. I insure my '09 XK with Geico. I'm a claim manager with another carrier but Geico's rate is significantly lower than anyone else. Shop around every couple of years.

The following 3 users liked this post by Glide63:
Amazen (12-24-2020), Clellandm (02-18-2021), ralphwg (12-25-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 09:12 AM

I have Hagerty insurance for a few of my cars; let me first say theyve saved me a lot of money in insurance. I do not consider them restrictive, but there are a few rules (1) it cannot be your DD, (2) must be stored in a garage and (3) while they do not have mileage restrictions they become suspicious if your estimated yearly mileage is above 5,000 miles.

Ive never been stranded on the side of the road, but I have used towing through the drivers club and had great success.
I like that they agree to a value for the car vs black book prices. The only bump Ive had with them was when I tried to insure my XJR.
​​​They wouldn't insure my XJR initially, but made an allowance as long as I met additional criteria (membership in Jaguar clubs), plus my other cars were already insured through them.
Ive been lucky in that I havent made a claim (nor needed to), but Ive heard a lot of good results with fast payment from them.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 AM
Default Hagerty Ins

Yes I have Hagerty . They cover several of my classics and my 2016 F Type R for $900 a year.
Originally Posted by jbmi
Does anyone have "Hagerty Classic Car Insurance ?
They are located in my hometown and I have a number of friends working for them.
They insure cars around the world and have some pretty expensive and famous cars in their business.
They have a beautiful showroom with windows to the street that display a different car every three months or so.
Some of those are just classic while others have movie history.
Am looking at them to insure my 2010 XK,

Old 12-24-2020, 09:20 AM

Had Hagerty on my 2010 XK - was maybe $250-$300/year. Make sure you read any stipulations they have. They don't want you using the car as an "everyday driver" from what I remember.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:24 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Tried Grundy and Haggerty

My 4th car, 3rd Jag sedan, was going to be in the barn most of the time until a few hundred other items get crossed of the to-do list, but both insurers REQUIRE storage in a "locked" facility of some kind, and my barn doesn't even have doors on some openings. The car was on blocks way in the back behind the tractor, but no locks, so "no thanks".

Old 12-24-2020, 09:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmi
Does anyone have "Hagerty Classic Car Insurance ?
They are located in my hometown and I have a number of friends working for them.
They insure cars around the world and have some pretty expensive and famous cars in their business.
They have a beautiful showroom with windows to the street that display a different car every three months or so.
Some of those are just classic while others have movie history.
Am looking at them to insure my 2010 XK,
I too had a 2010 XK convt and Hagerty's quote was so far off the scale I just went with Geico at 1/3 the cost.
Am an existing policyholder for a 1940s car with Hagerty and that rate has been reasonable. In conclusion, forget insuring later model cars with them.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cheaper options witnesses restrictions

I have USAA. If you're a veteran I recommend calling USAA. They have all my cars, my motorcycle, and my house. I have no complaints.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had Hagerty for many years on much older cars (1950s, mostly), and on those vehicles their rates are ridiculously low. That's typical of collector car insurance (I have a '58 Continental with Grundy Worldwide, and their rates are similar.). There are mileage restrictions--mine are at 5,000 per year--and you have to prove the cars are stored inside. I've had two cars totaled while insured with Hagerty: while driving my just-finished 1971 Fiat 124 Spider home from the locksmith, a Saturn full of teens failed to stop at a red light. And last year my 1958 Ford Skyliner retractable hardtop was parked on a street and was smashed by a drunk driver in an SUV. In both cases my "agreed value" was far less than what the cars were actually worth. That kept rates low, but it resulted in poor payouts. Luckily, the drunk driver's SUV was abandoned at the scene and they tracked him down. He was insured, so his company paid up. For newer cars I've tended to go with the more standard carriers: my '94 XJS is with Geico, and I'm happy with their rates.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:36 AM
MEC
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Had them years ago. More costly and more restrictive than other classic car insurance companies. Have had a classic for more than 25 years and used them once. I compare prices every couple of years. For what it's worth.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
I just got an online quote from Hagerty and it's higher than my current State Farm insurance for less coverage, and allows me less miles/year. Thanks, but...
Hagerty is for classic and specialty vehicles, the difference is they will ensure your vehicle at agreed upon value or what you can sell it for on the open market, standard insurance companies use blue book value which is normally alot less.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dvx37910:
Bill Mack (12-24-2020), Sean W (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hagerty

I just got an online quote from Hagerty and it's higher than my current State Farm insurance for less coverage, and allows me less miles/year. Thanks, but...
After hearing a lot of great things about Hagerty from the people in the Illinois Jaguar Club, I looked into it. For half the premium I was paying for State Farm coverage, I got the same coverage from Hagerty. They are responsive and clearly car fanatics. I’m a Chicago defense attorney who is currently in the insurance industry, and I love Hagerty. I recommend them constantly.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:45 AM

And I increased the value to $10k since I have about that much into the 1996 VDP in case someone careless careens into me...if totaled and I am able to walk way, then there will be room in my garage for the mid-90's 6 cylinder XJS in the oyster shell (or other light metallic) finish I seek...;-D

Old 12-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hagerty/Grundy vs. Usual Insurance

It depends on the car. For a daily driver, State Farm may be cheaper. For a classic, look ar Hagerty or Grundy. If you have a 30 year old classic, State Farm will be very inexpensive, but if you have an accident, they will probably total it and pay you what a normal 30 year old car is worth - not much. With Hagerty you tell them what the value is. I've had claims with Hagerty and had repairs done with no hassle. I use State Farm for my daily drivers.

The following users liked this post:
Bill Mack (12-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Car Insurance