XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbmi
Does anyone have "Hagerty Classic Car Insurance ?
They are located in my hometown and I have a number of friends working for them.
They insure cars around the world and have some pretty expensive and famous cars in their business.
They have a beautiful showroom with windows to the street that display a different car every three months or so.
Some of those are just classic while others have movie history.
Am looking at them to insure my 2010 XK,
I requested a quote for my 2004 tbird. The nice thing with them is you declare the insured value. It was around $2500 for $20,000 value. That's about 5 times my current policy with Allstate. I have a limited mileage plan since it's not a daily driver.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not used Hagerty. I thought the cars needed to be X years of age before they would insure a car. I have a 08XK and a 96XJS that I have insured with American Modern Insurance. You can purchase insurance based on miles driven. I can drive each car 3,000 miles a year and there is an agreed value of the cars. I insure both of these cars for about $400 for the year.

The following users liked this post:
Debs 2015 Jaguar (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You should insure your pride and joy for a stated value, as it's worth far more to you than if it was a typical used car. That'll avoid a dispute about what it's worth if it's .....”.

Stated value won’t guarantee you anything. If an agent tried to sell you a “stated value” policy run away as fast as you can.

In insurance terms, what you want is “agreed value”. There’s a world of legal difference in those terms vs stated value. Many of the big insurance companies will sell you a stated value policy, very few will sell an “agreed value” policy, Hagerty will.

I’ve had policy’s on many classic cars with Hagerty since the mid 1990’s. I had zero mileage restrictions but the insured classic could not be your daily driver. So they want to see at least one more car in the household that is your designated “daily”. I drove my vintage Shelby’s, all insured for well over $100,000, all over the USA. I took 2 or 3 multi state trips every year and was fully insured. I always called Hagerty before a long trip and laid out my route, distance and days on the road. I made it a point to speak to underwriting dept. , not sales. They never had an issue with that type of usage.

But the proof of how good a company is gets determined not by premiums, but by how they deal with claims. I’ve had two claims with Hagerty, well over $10,000 each, and each time they listened to me over the appraiser they employed, regarding the quality of replacement parts I required in order to maintain the value of the cars. They always paid in full and promptly too.

I recommend them on the basis of how they treated me when there was a problem, not based on premium costs. In the long run a person will be $$ ahead that way.

Z

Last edited by zray; 12-24-2020 at 10:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by zray:
JagGuardian (12-24-2020), Stuart S (12-24-2020), V7Sport (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I had a combined policy for home and car. Had a 2016 truck , 2010 Lexus , 1989 Volvo and added the 2012 XKR. The cost to add the Jag was an extra $1050 a year with Travelers . No mileage limit.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I have my 94 XJS and 78 MGB insured by them. $400/year. They do require another vehicle as a daily driver. To me, they are lenient about usage.

A member of my MG club has 6 of his cars insured by them, and when the garage flooded and damaged them, Haggerty did an excellent job in getting them repaired.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are located in my hometown and I have a number of friends working for them.
They insure cars around the world and have some pretty expensive and famous cars in their business.
They have a beautiful showroom with windows to the street that display a different car every three months or so.
I have had Haggerty for the past three years on my 2001 S type 4.0 and I’m very pleased. They are easy to deal with and they put out a great magazine. You may have to persuade them to insure a car that new. When I got my policy they didn’t want to deal with anything that new. Only took a couple of days and sending them some information and they wrote the policy. They were almost three times cheaper than Allstate

max224 (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 10:32 AM
Received 328 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvx37910
Hagerty is for classic and specialty vehicles, the difference is they will ensure your vehicle at agreed upon value or what you can sell it for on the open market, standard insurance companies use blue book value which is normally alot less.
I deserve a dope-slap.

In comparing the Hagerty quote to my State Farm coverage, I missed the fact that the amount shown for Hagerty was a one-year cost, as compared to the half-year cost for State Farm. So Hagerty IS cheaper for similar coverage. And the stated-value aspect of the insurance is very appealing, since Kelly Blue Book value is $000s less.

On the minus side, I would lose the State Farm umbrella cover that I currently have on the car, since I bundle home, jewelry and auto policies with SF. I'll have to research whether I could get an umbrella policy from Hagerty or a standalone umbrella from another carrier.

Anyway, sorry for the incorrect post earlier.

Last edited by Bill Mack; 12-24-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pays to Check!

Not on the original subject but commenting on what evolved. I had a National main brand (leave nameless) Insurence company that I paid $2600 a year for full coverage $500 deductible on the 2013 Jag XK and my new 2020 F150. I’m retired so no daily work commute, 65, under 10,000 miles per year on each vehicle. I decided to do a little shopping and called around. I eventually called Geico and the lady told me $400. I said per month or car? She said both vehicles full coverage 6 months..... paying in full it was actually $387! About an $1800 a year savings! To say I was stunned is putting it mildly! Moral of the story is call around and ask, you may be surprised!

Old 12-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Hagerty for my 2008 XK. I live in New York though and State Farm, who my daily drivers and home owners is through; is outrageous. I’ve never had a problem with them.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

I use my regular insurance company, sure more expensive, but do not want to be regulated to mileage, when, where and how to use the car. Same with plates, my state regulates, miles, to and from, and how it is used. When it hits me to go somewhere, just pick one and go no restrictions whatever.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by cinutechs
I have USAA. If you're a veteran I recommend calling USAA. They have all my cars, my motorcycle, and my house. I have no complaints.
I also have USAA. You can also be a relative of a veteran, or in my case married to the daughter of a veteran. They have become very liberal in who they allow into the USAA fold. It was simple for us, my Wife's father established his account, defined his daughter (my wife) in their system, once that lineage was established she was able to start an account and define me as spouse. Boom badda bing, you are in.

For several years they were higher than Liberty who I had prior, I always keep my carriers honest by quoting every couple of years. Then finally USAA came in significantly lower, I moved my insurance, after going through the long and horribly laborious process (hours of questions) they were ready to write my policy and it came in just slightly less than what I was paying. WHAT??? The guy tells me the quote is just an estimate, the real price is determined when you bind it, after wasting that much time I was just beat down!!! So I went with it even though the savings was quite a bit less, still a savings. Not worth the time I spent though.

As if that wasn't bad enough, let me tell you how ridiculously stupid the process to quote my home insurance was with USAA, since they don't write policies in Florida right now they offer to act as a broker and find some high rated companies that can write my policy. So I say yes, an hour and a half later and they come back and the partner companies can write, however no wind coverage but hey they can get a separate wind coverage quote. Another hour and come back, "gee, they still won't allow for wind coverage" and ask if I want to explore the next level. I told the guy thanks for being a nice person, I didn't blame him and I am never rude to the people who are just doing their jobs, but their system BLOWS and no way would I continue another minute with that debacle of a process!!! The person I wanted to tell off was the architect of the system, not the poor users.

Abby's Guy (01-01-2021)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce in North Dakota:
eliotb (12-31-2020), JagGuardian (12-24-2020), jlainie (12-31-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvx37910
Hagerty is for classic and specialty vehicles, the difference is they will ensure your vehicle at agreed upon value or what you can sell it for on the open market, standard insurance companies use blue book value which is normally alot less.
I always wondered what stops they have to prevent fraud in this practice. Obviously if you declare your XK's value at $500k so you can crash your way to a McLaren they won't pick it up, but I'm sure they have some cars that are way overvalued by their owners.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! I use Allstate for all other insurance, but my agent sent me to Hagerty for my 1970 XKE FHC. Very satisfied plus you get a subscription to their Drivers Club.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Hagerty for 5-6 years and when I had a fire they treated me like family. They were quick thorough and covered everything completely. I don't know what else you can expect from a classic car insurance company but they have meet every one of my expectations. Go Hagerty. 1000% top notch.

zray (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow! What a lively and interesting thread! Thanjs everyone! I just this month switched my 2006 XK8 coupe to Hagerty and saved about $240/year, for better coverage. While I do have it in a locked garage, my understanding of the policy is that a carport would be acceptable.

My home and other three vehicles are insured with Nationwide, which is threatening to cancel our homeowners M policy because we are in a grove of large oak trees, surrounded by vineyards, in an area of northern California that was devastated by a firestorm a couple years ago. I just spent over $3000 to have one large oak tree removed and some others trimmed, with no guaranty that that will get the carrier to keep covering us.

If I have to go shopping, this thread should help. My son in law keeps urging me to get a quote from USAA but I seriously doubt they will want my woodsy North Coast property.

Granville

Old 12-24-2020, 12:11 PM
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I use Grundy for my 1976 XJ6C. They were about a third less in cost than Hagerty for the same coverage. I got an "agreed value" of 25K as a "Sunday Driver" driving less than 5k miles a yr. for around $200

The following 3 users liked this post by steve_schmidt:
eliotb (12-31-2020), eljefe1951 (12-31-2020), vandenplas90 (12-24-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mack
I just got an online quote from Hagerty and it's higher than my current State Farm insurance for less coverage, and allows me less miles/year. Thanks, but...
Hey Mack-attack I'm with you, I just switched over to State Farm this month, I was blown away by their low auto ins. rates. I have my '90 VP on their "antique" auto policy. No mileage restrictions, 25% more coverage(value), lower deductibles than Hagerty's quote and I can drive it whenever I want. Generally, its difficult to compare insurance rates because it depends on so many factors, not only are the rates State-specific, but city/county specific as well. I've been an insurance agent for a very well known ins. co for 30 yrs., and throughout my career, I was never able to replace a State Farm auto policy, truthfully I don't why it took me so long to check them out for my own ins. The discount on their home ins. was 50% when bundled with the autos. My VP has only 32k original miles, not bad for a 30 yr. old machine.

TobyJag (12-31-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_schmidt
I use Grundy for my 1976 XJ6C. They were about a third less in cost than Hagerty for the same coverage. I got an "agreed value" of 25K as a "Sunday Driver" driving less than 5k miles a yr. for around $200

Steve you have an awesome looking machine, my friend.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had them for almost six months now no complaints drive as much as I want

Quick Reply: Car Insurance