XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Car sometimes won't start when button pressed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Nina Flat-Cat
hello,
I have this issue as well (NA 5.0). Car does not start ca. 1 out of of 3 times, but ALWAYS starts on 2ndattempt, whereas 2ndattempt means RELEASING the BREAK PEDAL and PUSHING it again, so logically connected to the break switch in my case.
=> Is this a break-switch that can be replaced ? (the same that controls break lights etc?).

(This issue is no real problem for now, but I don’t like the idea that e.g. a half defective part could suddenly become a fully defective, and that the car does not start at all at a place where that is not very suitable).

Thanks in advance for helpful advise!
Have you tried the sequence in post #2 above?
While holding the Start button down, will it start on the first press of the brake, do you need to step on the brake a second time?

Old 12-11-2021, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hi. Yes 1 out of 3 times I need to "step on the brake a second time" and it ALWAYS then starts, .....so far.
This is not a real problem, as such, ......but it is an indication that something is wrong, (or?), and I don't like that. So therefore I would be interested in WHAT causes this and whether it can be fixed.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,511 Likes on 3,242 Posts

Are you holding the START button long enough? I've had people try to start mine and they just tap the start button and then say it's broken. Gotta hold that sucker down for a full second or so.
Also, try holding the START button first and THEN press the brake pedal.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.
Yes, I have determined that it is definitely connected to the BREAK PEDAL.
(I know what you mean with being too impatient on the starter though. Has happened)

If it does not start, it NEVER helps to just push the starter again/longer (keeping the break pedal pressed), but it ALWAYS (100%) works to release and to press the break pedal a 2nd time.
As I keep the starter pressed for this 2nd attempt, this then de-facto corresponds to your “ try holding the START button first and THEN press the brake pedal ”.
(I have not checked whether it always works also on 1st attempt if I do it that way around).

=> My “problem” is that I don’t like the fact that such crucial issue (starting) only works 2 out of 3 times when doing as the book says and as anyone (a valet etc) would do.

IS THIS A HALF-DEFFECTIVE BREAK SWITCH THAT CAN BE REPLACED ? or a software bug ?
I interpret from the forum that many XKs have this issue, but I have not seen a specific cause-solution.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:45 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I know there is an issue where people say the car won't start the first or second tries sometimes.

2007 XKR multiple starts - YouTube

I've noticed sometimes it also won't shut off when you push the button. If you catch it not shutting off, and keep the button depressed, it will give a "Smart Key not Detected" warning.

I think people previously decided that it was an issue with the brake switch (the pedal needing to be pressed very hard to get it to activate to unlock the starter/ignition). However, is it possible that the root cause of these problems could be an intermittent smart key connectivity issue?
yup it be the brakes.I had this problem a few times when i had battery issues and had to push the brakes down super hard in order to start it

Old 12-14-2021, 03:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I had the same failure to Start problem. We went thru multiple diagnostics and decided to replace the Start button and also did a software update. Now I get in, push the Start button wait for the flashing red light on the center of the dashboard to go out and then step on the brake and push on the starter. Starts every time

The following users liked this post:
guy (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 09:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Had this problem on my '07 XK this morning prior to reading this well timed thread. I tried multiple times to depress the foot brake and then the start button; however, the car would not turn over. I then deployed the parking brake, pressed on the foot brake and started the car.

Perhaps the brake switch is overridden by the parking brake being deployed eliminating the need to "stomp" on the foot brake to get everything to work . . . just a thought.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Had exactly same issue today, twice. I have noticed in the past on occasion the revs drop close to stalling after start but never had it cut out completely. Can't believe that this started after reading this thread (obviously cursed). Not been on forum for about a month too.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:18 PM
Received 184 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Nina Flat-Cat
Thanks.
Yes, I have determined that it is definitely connected to the BREAK PEDAL.
(I know what you mean with being too impatient on the starter though. Has happened)

If it does not start, it NEVER helps to just push the starter again/longer (keeping the break pedal pressed), but it ALWAYS (100%) works to release and to press the break pedal a 2nd time.
As I keep the starter pressed for this 2nd attempt, this then de-facto corresponds to your “ try holding the START button first and THEN press the brake pedal ”.
(I have not checked whether it always works also on 1st attempt if I do it that way around).

=> My “problem” is that I don’t like the fact that such crucial issue (starting) only works 2 out of 3 times when doing as the book says and as anyone (a valet etc) would do.

IS THIS A HALF-DEFFECTIVE BREAK SWITCH THAT CAN BE REPLACED ? or a software bug ?
I interpret from the forum that many XKs have this issue, but I have not seen a specific cause-solution.

Maybe go down there and spray some silicone spray into the brake switch, check alignment, wear etc. Sounds like an easy fix now that you have isolated the issue.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:01 PM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Harrison
Had exactly same issue today, twice. I have noticed in the past on occasion the revs drop close to stalling after start but never had it cut out completely. Can't believe that this started after reading this thread (obviously cursed). Not been on forum for about a month too.
yup, occasionally happens even if reversing the procedure: hold the start button first, tap the brake second.

if you get nothing at all, don't let go of button, give the brake another harder stomp.

if it "hiccups" just let it do its thing a moment longer and it will go. i assume the starter occasionally has to fight manifold vacuum pressure, maybe the quicker you're off the brake pedal the smoother it goes.