XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A Case For Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Interesting thread. Last spring, I ended up trading my 08 XK vert which was 6 months from a 4 yr lease expiration. I was intending to buy the 08 and priced out an extended warranty - cost about 5K. Turned out I could lease a 12 XK vert for about the same down payment the extended warranty would have cost and lowered my monthly lease cost by about 20% to boot. Granted it took three weeks to negotiate the transaction, but I am now driving a much better vehicle, with less problems and a 5 liter engine instead of the 4.2 liter that is in the 08 with a choice of driving options (including sport and winter) in addition to more standard equipment than the 08 had.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Interesting thread. Last spring, I ended up trading my 08 XK vert which was 6 months from a 4 yr lease expiration. I was intending to buy the 08 and priced out an extended warranty - cost about 5K. Turned out I could lease a 12 XK vert for about the same down payment the extended warranty would have cost and lowered my monthly lease cost by about 20% to boot. Granted it took three weeks to negotiate the transaction, but I am now driving a much better vehicle, with less problems and a 5 liter engine instead of the 4.2 liter that is in the 08 with a choice of driving options (including sport and winter) in addition to more standard equipment than the 08 had.
Smart thought process!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters;447496[COLOR=black
[FONT=Verdana]4. One company representative I spoke with gave me a "heads up" to watch out for companies that excluded "wear & tear" coverage. At first, one might think it appropriate for wear & tear to be excluded, until it was explained to me that most suspension and transmission repairs run the danger of falling under the "wear & tear" category.

Coming in late here.....

I spent umpteen years of my life dealing with extended warranty/service contract repairs.

The "wear and tear" caveats are important. Yes, it's fair to expect consumables--brake pads, wiper blades, etc-- to be excluded as well as wear and tear of trim, upholstery, etc.

However.....

Watch for contracts that make lots of reference to covering "failed" components. Define "failed" and compare it to your policy. In many cases what you're being told is that coverage exists if a part fails, but not if it simply wears out.

In others words, a broken ball joint is covered but one that is simply worn out is not covered. A wheel bearing that has disentegrated is covered but one that is noisy from normal wear, but still serving it's purpose, isn't. That sort of thing.

Also watch for clauses that exclude repairs needed to "restore compression when no failure has occured". Here again, broken pistons/piston rings are covered but worn pistons/piston rings are not.

Broadly speaking, service contracts affiliated with the manufacturer (Jaguar in this case, obviously) are the least troublesome and most consumer-oriented.

From the 70s to the 2000s I can say that the "service contract" industry has improved to a huge degree. The industry realized it simply couldn't continue selling a horrible product (you can shave a sheep a hundred times but you can skin him only once) and, in many states, the indusry is now regulated by the insurance commission so the flagrant, outlandish abusers and rip-off companies had their toes held to the fire and eventually either disappeared or cleaned up their acts. I could write a book of horror stories.

But, still, as with any insurance policy (and, essentially, that's what we're talking about. "Warranty" is a misnomer), you gotta read the fine print and, in some cases, be prepared to do battle :-)

Ramble switch turned "off"

Cheers
DD

Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trying to finish my deal on an 09' XKR Portfolio(38k miles). Given 6-8k miles a year of driving from me i'm trying to justify in my head the warranty. The OEM expires in October.

Aftermarket company (CNA) was quoted to me for 3(additional)yrs. / 75,000 miles(total) for $3,660. Excellent coverage. Just having a hard time pulling the trigger on it. I've not done extended on any cars(BMW & Porsche's) i've owned and have found it to always work in my favor.
Are these cars that problematic? Things break on any car, but i've not read consumer reports of major/chronic issue's with the 09' XKR's. I'm guessing my mileage will be around 65k when I look to sell and/or my warranty would run out. There is always a risk, but 65k miles isn't a lot on a properly maintained car.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering an extended warranty also on a 2007 XKR that I purchased last week with 48k on it, and dealer was offering a 3year / 36000 mile through Warranty Solutions for $6100. Factory warranty is expired so maybe that has something to do with price being so high. I called the company that offered through Costco and they were $5500 for a 36/36 with $250 deductible. Would love to hear some other options.......before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

Earle

Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been checking with Carchex now and I think I am going to pull the trigger. They seem to be pretty highly rated and give a pretty fair value for their coverage. 2004 XJ8 with 88,400 miles for 48,000 miles or 4 years - $4704.00 ($100.00 deductible):
BENEFITS
Substitute Transportation:
Up to thirty dollars ($30.00) per 8-hour labor charge (ninety dollars
($90) maximum per claim).
24 Hour Roadside Assistance:
Includes, but is not limited to: lock out service, battery assist,
tow service and road assistance. Coverage is available up to ten (10) times over the term of this
Service Contract. Towing coverage provides up to fifty dollars ($50.00) per occurrence, other
benefits provide up to twenty five dollars ($25.00) per occurrence.
Benefits do not include the
cost of any parts, fluids or fuels. You must contact the Road Service Processing Center for
prior approval and assistance.
You will be provided with Your Roadside Assistance number
in the welcome letter You receive from the Administrator.
WHAT IS COVERED (See the Declarations Page for the coverage You selected.)
ENGINE:
Component 1 is covered
1. Engine:
Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, internal timing gears, timing chain, camshaft,
camshaft bearings, valve lifters, rocker arm assemblies and push rods, pistons and rings, wrist
pins, cylinders, connecting rods, distributor drive gear, all internal components of engine block and
cylinder heads, if damage is caused by mechanical failure of an internally lubricated part. Gaskets
and external seals will be covered if their replacement is necessary to complete an otherwise
authorized repair. Cracked engine block, cylinder heads, and piston cylinders are not covered.
Broken crankshaft is covered if break is caused by either bearings or piston failure. Valve guides
are covered only when guide sleeves have not slipped below original Position.
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE:
Components 1 through 3 are covered.
2. Transmission/Transaxle:
The internal components of the automatic transmission or manual
transmission. Drive chain gears, carrier bearings, and internal transaxle seal. The manual
transmission case and automatic transmission case and torque converter, transfer case, drive
gears, forks, bearing thrust washer, bushing, washer, and housing are covered, if damaged by
the failure of internally lubricated parts.
3. Differential Assembly Components (2 & 4 wheel drive):
(Front & rear) differential housing
including pinion bearings, side carrier bearings, ring and pinion gears, carrier assembly, washers, axles and axle bearings.
POWERTRAIN PLUS:
Components 1 through 5 are covered.
4. Cooling System:
Water pump, thermostat, mixture control valve, overflow reservoir.
5. Fuel System:
Fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel injector.
Optional Coverage
Air Conditioning:
Compressor, however if the damaged or malfunctioning compressor causes
damage to the expansion valve, or receiver dryer, the damaged component(s) will be replaced.
Coverage applies to factory installed, non-retrofitted units only.
CLASSIC COVERAGE
Includes covered components 1 through 5 listed for Engine, Powertrain and Powertrain Plus
Coverage plus components 6 through 11.
6. Timing Belt:
If Service Contract Purchaser has followed manufacturer’s recommended
maintenance intervals for replacement.
7. CV Joints:
CV boots must not be torn at the time of failure. Lubricated joint failure only.
Universal Joint (U Joint) is not included.
8. Steering:
Internally lubricated parts contained within the steering box and pump housing,
including rack and pinion, control valves, internal oil control seals, bearings, and shafts, steering
box and pump housings if damaged by the failure of internally lubricated parts.
9.Electrical:
Alternator, starter motor, front wiper motor, cooling fan motor, heater blower motor,
electric horn, clock, switches for the following; neutral safety, overdrive, reverse indicator, power windows, power door locks.
10. Seals and Gaskets:
Head gasket and intake manifold gaskets are covered for coolant leaks
only on vehicles with up to 125,000 miles at the time of failure.
Seepage of seals and gaskets is
considered normal wear and tear and is not covered under this
Service Contract
11. Air Conditioning:
Compressor, however if the damaged or malfunctioning compressor causes
damage to the expansion valve, or receiver dryer, the damaged component(s) will be replaced.
Coverage applies to factory installed, non-retrofitted units only.
PREMIER COVERAGE
Includes covered components 1 through 11 listed above for Engine, Powertrain, Powertrain
Plus, and Classic coverages plus 12 through 20.
12.Seals & Gaskets:
All seals and gaskets are covered for premature failure on vehicles with
up to 125,000 miles at the time of failure.
Seepage of seals and gaskets is considered normal
wear and tear and is not covered under this Service Contract. Any damage due to loss of
fluid is not covered.
13. HI-Tech Electrical:
Alternator, starter motor, front and rear wiper motor, cooling fan motor,
fuel gauge, cooling sender, neutral safety switch, overdrive switch, reverse indicator switch,
voltage regulator, distributor, ignition module, ignition coil, starter solenoid, wiring harness, power window switches, door lock switches, cruise control module, power window motors, power seat motors, power door lock actuator and switch, power sunroof motor, mileage computer, electronic instrument cluster, distributor ignition coil, automatic climate control electronic control module, head light switch, convertible top motor, clock, electric horn.
14. Cooling System Plus:
Blower motor, heater core, electric radiator fan motor, fan clutch, fan
blade, overflow reservoir.
15. Suspension:
Control arms, control arm shafts, bearings and bushings, radius arm and bushing,
wheel bearings, stabilizer bar, stabilizer link, stabilizer bushing, spindle, torsion bars, mode
selector switch, height sensor computer, control module, actuator.
16. Fuel System Plus:
Mechanical fuel pump, electric fuel pump, vacuum pump, metal fuel
delivery lines, fuel tank, fuel sender, pressure regulator, fuel injectors.
17. Brake System:
Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, disc brake calipers, ABS master cylinder,
vacuum booster, hydraulic lines and fittings, pressure modulator valve, isolation dump valve,
accumulator, wheel speed sensors.
18.Turbo Charger/Supercharger:
All internally lubricated parts due to mechanical failure.
19. Air Conditioner:
Condenser, compressor, evaporator, accumulator, compressor clutch, idler
pulley, idler pulley bearing, hi/low compressor cutoff switch, pressure cycling switch, cooling
fan motors. Coverage applies to factory installed, non-retrofitted units only.
20. Fluids:
Engine oil, power steering fluid, antifreeze, and transmission fluid are all covered
items when required during the authorized repair process.
SURCHARGE COVERAGE
1 Ton vehicle
Turbo Charger/Supercharger:
(If You are purchasing an ENGINE, POWERTRAIN,
POWERTRAIN PLUS or CLASSIC plan and Your vehicle is equipped with a Turbo Charger/
Supercharger,
this surcharge must be selected on the Declaration Page).
The following benefits
are provided to You: All internally lubricated parts due to mechanical failure

Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

After 4 months of ownership of this XKR, I'm a little bit afraid of continuing this without a warranty. However, my current Select Edition warranty hasn't helped me solve any of the car's issues yet.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

The extended that I purchased had a list of about 10 items it did not cover. The rest of the car is all inclusive.

Vince