XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CATS, Pedestrian system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post CATS, Pedestrian system fault

Hi guys,
i have some issues with my Jag XK (2006 X150, 4,2). Milage is 106 000km (66000 miles). Car is completely stock. Warings on my dashboard are CATS fault and Pedestrian system. So i used OBD-diagnostic tool to check faults. I found anything about this particular problem.
Codes for pedestrian and cats systems are these:
Cats
C110E - Left Rear damper solenoid circuit - short to ground, open circuit
C110E - Left Rear damper - Out of Range
Q: It is on that left damper harness certain weak spot to check?
Pedestrian
B1002 - Left hood latch deployment control circuit - circuit resistance above threshold
B1006 - Pedestrian impact sensor - funtion fault
Otherwise car runs fine, i dont feel that the cats doesnt work. I driving my car daily with speeds over 130mph and suspention works well. Strange...

PS: I heard that US cars doesnt have the Pedestrian System, it is possible to disable that system on EU specs car? I think that is usless to have it and i dont have problem with legality in my country.

Thank you for ideas. Sorry for my English, it is not my native language.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi have you make reset with SDD before test ?

Old 11-16-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sovejag13190
Hi have you make reset with SDD before test ?
You mean like delete codes with OBD reader? Yes, but these come back.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

You may want to visually inspect the wiring and insulation at the damper harness, and make sure the connection is good. Also, your dampers may be riding lower now than when they were new. I just replaced mine ('07 MY) and it did seem to raise the rear slightly. My dampers didn't look to be leaking, or worn out otherwise, but since I was in there replacing soft parts, I did them also.

Additionally, it may be time for a visual inspection of your bushings and boots if you have not done that.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,388 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Since many of these cars are located in Europe, the question of the pedestrian system comes up frequently so perhaps a search is in order here. There is no safe legal way to disable it unfortunately.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:22 AM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello
I had hood deployment errors - mine were there result of other issues affecting the electrics. The fastest way to confirm this is to swap the actuators around. I did and it made no difference hence I knew it was a fault in the loom - also the resistance in my actuators was showing really low.

The Pedestrian Sensors behind the bonnet are known to fail - this is a common fault. There is an upgraded version available but you need to remove bumper and drill a hole to accommodate the locating boss to make the sensor properly vertical (some don't, but apparently they should be properly vertical). If your sensors are blue they are definitely scrap. The new ones are grey by the way.

Are you handy at working on cars? If not then do you have a good independent.
Order new sensors from SNG Barrett if yours are blue then see what happens, that would be my first port of call personally.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by wsn03
Hello
I had hood deployment errors - mine were there result of other issues affecting the electrics. The fastest way to confirm this is to swap the actuators around. I did and it made no difference hence I knew it was a fault in the loom - also the resistance in my actuators was showing really low.

The Pedestrian Sensors behind the bonnet are known to fail - this is a common fault. There is an upgraded version available but you need to remove bumper and drill a hole to accommodate the locating boss to make the sensor properly vertical (some don't, but apparently they should be properly vertical). If your sensors are blue they are definitely scrap. The new ones are grey by the way.

Order new sensors from SNG Barrett if yours are blue then see what happens, that would be my first port of call personally.
Thank you for answer. Yes i work on my cars by myself. I will check that.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by martinhh
Thank you for answer. Yes i work on my cars by myself. I will check that.
Ok - to check the pedestrian sensors jack up the front and remove the big undertray (torx). If they are blue it is nose off, then you can remove the bumper - see what I explained about the process and the parts you will need in this thread - it talks about oil cooler replacement, but we cover the nose off procedure and the bits you will need to buy (clips and in your case zipt tie clips for wiring harness are included because you will probably break the flimsy JLR ones) including links to purchase them. It starts being really relevant from page 2, however page 1 could be of interest to you because while you have the nose off you could paint the oil coolers and change the condenser if it isn't new already - because the standard JLR ones fail in short time, the aftermarket ones don't appear to.

To remove bumper do the above, then remove the piece of foam (be careful of the big optic pedestrian sensor on the bumper, don't damage it) then just some 4 x 13mm (I think) bolts on each side - very simple

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=124671

If that doesn't clear your fault (and I expect it will, if not you have just prevented a future fault occurring) then swap the actuators. You MUST DISONNECT THE BATTERY - because you want to move the air bag to get access to the airbag cradle, to lift it to get to the actuator electrics. There are 4 electric pieces, 2 on each side. One is connected to the airbag, one is to the bonnet opener effectively - do all this WHILE THE NOSE IS OFF - because if like me you fail to connect it properly the bolts at the front will be accessible for the bonnet for you to do desperate things with (hangs head in shame at own stupidity!). Swap the airbags round to try one thing (this fixed the problem for an independent on one of his customers cars, just a bad connection) and swap the bonnet actuators around (the whole thing comes off, including the metal trigger - put it in a vice to undo the 2 torx bolts)

I mention an Icarsoft Tool - the data read out really helped me realise I had a sort of shorting going on - in my case it was caused by a smear of vaseline in each block connector - bad idea on these it seems

Last edited by wsn03; 11-17-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi the DTC B1002 is not complete. You have the number after this code to identify sensor ? i've had problem on my xkr and the dtc was B1002-11.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:17 AM

Hi the DTC B1002 is not complete. You have the number after this code to identify sensor ? i've had problem on my xkr and the dtc was B1002-11.
How did you get the full code - none of the diagnosis kits seem to go past first 4 digits?
What I have learned however is that the diagnosis is usually just a starting point - even with the full code my error was not what 3 different diagnosis machines thought it was.
What did your B1002-11 turn out to be, and what was the fix?

Old 11-17-2020, 01:32 PM

I used profesional OEM Diagnosis system from Bosch from my dads workshop, it is a machine for 5k$ with license. I know what you mean. Fault code is like this ''B1002'' - But it is destription on that what is precisely wrong, its just doest show another numbers. I just translated what is in description from my language. So if i looked on OEM Jag fault codes full would be B10068F, B10021B, C110E-14, C110E-18.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,391 Posts
Old 11-17-2020, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2020, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2020, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

You need SDD to give you the final 2 codes. Without it, go through each one in order

Old 11-18-2020, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
That is very interesting, because that was the issue with mine, sort of - I was getting a short circuit at least from the front of my loom! Where did you get this list from please?

Old 11-18-2020, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

The workshop manual

The following users liked this post:
wsn03 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
The workshop manual
Very handy - I shall look through it for the error codes (I confess I struggle with it, particularly navigation but I am slowly getting there!)

Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM

Thanks guys for answers!

Originally Posted by wsn03
Hello

Today i have some time, so i checked the sensors. They are blue, so probably that would be a problem. Do you have a recomendation for any good E-shop with Jag parts (EU or US)? In my country is only source local Dealer with overprices parts. Thanks

Old 11-24-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by martinhh
Thanks guys for answers!

Today i have some time, so i checked the sensors. They are blue, so probably that would be a problem. Do you have a recomendation for any good E-shop with Jag parts (EU or US)? In my country is only source local Dealer with overprices parts. Thanks

You have the new type of sensor, but they are mounted badly. I will give you a proper response tomorrow.

Quick Reply: CATS, Pedestrian system fault