XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CATS, Pedestrian system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 03:50 AM
Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Hi
Ok I've got some ideas.

1. The sensor - you have the new sensor, I'll put up a picture after I type this of the 2 different types - while that should be the end of your problems it isn't necessarily - because there has already been a report of the new type failing! The sensor has one hole for a screw, and one locating boss. The old sensor has just 2 screws instead. Whoever fitted this has used one original hole, and drilled a hole for the locating boss in the wrong place if the independent I spoke to is to be believed - I will show you how it should be mounted in the next post.
A very well respected independent I went to told me when we were discussing this that the sensor needs to be mounted vertically - I confess I don't know why, but he insisted I don't let it be at an angle. I figure he must have some experience / knowledge to be so insistent (and he was giving me advice, I was doing my own work, he was not trying to gain anything out of me). Yours is on its side, I would correct that as an action for your list, but not yet, see below.

2. I am very suspicious of the following:
Pedestrian
B1002 - Left hood latch deployment control circuit - circuit resistance above threshold
B1006 - Pedestrian impact sensor - funtion fault

I had B1002 as well. Your resistance is HIGHER? Mine was far lower which made no sense at all, that was how I knew I had an issue in the loom. You either have a problem in one of the connections (bad connection creates high resistance) at the bonnet end, or at the sensor end.

The easy way to check this:
ACTION: swap the airbags and the actuators around- that is 2 sets of electrics connections. Please see this thread spelling out how to do it - it comes with risk if you don't read
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...needed-239936/

IF you get SAME LEFT SIDE error then you have a problem in the loom
IF you get RIGHT HAND sensor error then it is the actuator

It is important to note 2 things:
1. That independent told me that sometimes just swapping things around makes all the problems go away. Buy some contact cleaner to spray in the plugs.
2. My issue was caused by a bad contact - I had put a smear of vaseline in each connector I took apart. So I put in contact cleaner, then hairdryer to make vaseline runny, then blew it all out with air compressor - that fixed everything. This was at the front of the loom, the error was showing at the bonnet end.

3. What if it is in the loom?
Then you need to clean out the following with contact cleaner, hairdryer, compressed air - Fog light plugs, pedestrian sensor plugs, headlight plugs. Why??
Because whoever fitted those sensors probably disconnected all of those to change the sensors (nose off, headlights don't need to come out but for some reason people take them out, and I don't get it because it easier leaving them in )- and he probably put something to "protect" the plugs into them - as most of us are taught to do - very bad idea apparently, who knew?

Last edited by wsn03; 11-25-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:59 AM

The sensors:
On the left is the new one, on the right is the old one.
The new one in this picture is mounted correctly by using 1 threaded hole in the bumber for the old type to screw the bolt in, and one hole drilled in the bumper (m6) for the locating boss on the new sensor.

The old sensor is just laid on the bumper for the picture

Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM

Forgot to say - your battery must be good, all sorts of faults if it isn't

Old 11-26-2020, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wsn03
Hi
Ok I've got some ideas.

1. The sensor - you have the new sensor, I'll put up a picture after I type this of the 2 different types - while that should be the end of your problems it isn't necessarily - because there has already been a report of the new type failing! The sensor has one hole for a screw, and one locating boss. The old sensor has just 2 screws instead. Whoever fitted this has used one original hole, and drilled a hole for the locating boss in the wrong place if the independent I spoke to is to be believed - I will show you how it should be mounted in the next post.
A very well respected independent I went to told me when we were discussing this that the sensor needs to be mounted vertically - I confess I don't know why, but he insisted I don't let it be at an angle. I figure he must have some experience / knowledge to be so insistent (and he was giving me advice, I was doing my own work, he was not trying to gain anything out of me). Yours is on its side, I would correct that as an action for your list, but not yet, see below.

2. I am very suspicious of the following:
Pedestrian
B1002 - Left hood latch deployment control circuit - circuit resistance above threshold
B1006 - Pedestrian impact sensor - funtion fault

I had B1002 as well. Your resistance is HIGHER? Mine was far lower which made no sense at all, that was how I knew I had an issue in the loom. You either have a problem in one of the connections (bad connection creates high resistance) at the bonnet end, or at the sensor end.

The easy way to check this:
ACTION: swap the airbags and the actuators around- that is 2 sets of electrics connections. Please see this thread spelling out how to do it - it comes with risk if you don't read
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...needed-239936/

IF you get SAME LEFT SIDE error then you have a problem in the loom
IF you get RIGHT HAND sensor error then it is the actuator

It is important to note 2 things:
1. That independent told me that sometimes just swapping things around makes all the problems go away. Buy some contact cleaner to spray in the plugs.
2. My issue was caused by a bad contact - I had put a smear of vaseline in each connector I took apart. So I put in contact cleaner, then hairdryer to make vaseline runny, then blew it all out with air compressor - that fixed everything. This was at the front of the loom, the error was showing at the bonnet end.

3. What if it is in the loom?
Then you need to clean out the following with contact cleaner, hairdryer, compressed air - Fog light plugs, pedestrian sensor plugs, headlight plugs. Why??
Because whoever fitted those sensors probably disconnected all of those to change the sensors (nose off, headlights don't need to come out but for some reason people take them out, and I don't get it because it easier leaving them in )- and he probably put something to "protect" the plugs into them - as most of us are taught to do - very bad idea apparently, who knew?
Thanks for Answer!
Today i tried to swap sensors. But fault is not following the sensor. I also cleaned plugs with contact cleaner same fault is still there. So i quess that is problem in wiring, conectors or position. Next week i try to clean all plugs and visualy check the wiring. + drill a hole for correct sensor position.

Last edited by martinhh; 11-26-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by martinhh
Thanks for Answer!
Today i tried to swap sensors. But fault is not following the sensor. I also cleaned plugs with contact cleaner same fault is still there. So i quess that is problem in wiring, conectors or position. Next week i try to clean all plugs and visualy check the wiring. + drill a hole for correct sensor position.
Did you swap the airbags and bonnet actuators around? You need to do that first to see if the error changes. Sometimes this fixes it, if it does not then it is in the loom or the pedestrian sensors.
When you say you swapped the sensors - what do you mean, what did you do? If you swapped the pedestrian sensors around that will make no difference at all.

Bumper off for drilling the hole is the easiest thing to do, and it is not hard to take off once nose is removed

Last edited by wsn03; 11-27-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Update: Today i solved B1002 fault. It was a cable bitten by animal. I deleted fault code with OBD scanner (before that repair it was not possible). It may help to someone with same fault.

Last edited by martinhh; 01-04-2021 at 02:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by martinhh:
kj07xk (01-04-2021), peterv8 (01-04-2021), Sean W (01-04-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Received 133 Likes on 74 Posts

I've learned f there's one area that got chewed, there's others. Keep looking for them. It's a major pain. Had one chew the main harness on a diesel truck 9 years ago. I ended up replacing the entire front harness by the time I was done.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by martinhh
Update: Today i solved B1002 fault. It was a cable bitten by animal. I deleted fault code with OBD scanner (before that repair it was not possible). It may help to someone with same fault.

excellent, glad you sorted it