XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CATS SUSPENSION Pinpoint tests help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
My ODB tool shows live data for the suspension so I can watch it while driving but, if you don't have something similar, have you tried monitoring the current state of each shock using SDD. You may even be able to force them into hard mode while driving to see if there is any difference in ride.
Thank you @u102768. I like this but it appears to have been superseded by AP200? I searched through the Q&A on Amazon and it notes that the AP200 can't read damper functions. Can you tell me more? I trust your input over Amazon Q&A. Also is the Jaguar a buy up or was it included? I don't want to drive at various speeds with SDD (while wife is in the car stressing) if I can avoid it.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I have only had experience of the HT200 but can't see why it wouldn't be able to do it as the app on my phone is just talking to the dongle then displaying the results so if they can do it with the HT200 they should be able to do it with the AP200.

When I do a full car scan it tries to talk to modules that mine doesn't have e.g. TPMS, but it just moves on to the next one to try after a few seconds.

I have had mine for a few years now but when I bought it you got one free perpetual subscription to use on any one manufacturer so I obviously chose Jaguar and I also have a second HT200 I bought which I have subscribed to BMW with as that is what my wife currently drives.

You have to pay a yearly fee for any other subscriptions which is why I bought the second dongle as it pays for itself after a couple of years (I got a couple of open box units cheap on EBAY).

It is definitely a lot easier to use than SDD when driving and I keep the dongle in my glovebox so it is always available. I have taken my laptop for a drive a few times when running SDD and it has nearly ended up in the footwell! You can do a lot more with SDD though so it is my go to when doing serious diagnostics.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (11-10-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:09 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,177 Likes on 822 Posts

Hold the phone! Precisely, what car are we talking about? According to your signature block and profile its a 2007 XK.
If so,why are we having a conversation about CATS? That car does not have CATS.

You caused me to review the Technical Training Guide and the Workshop Manual.
Under the heading Diagnosis and Testing that only one suggestion is made: replace springs.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,048 Likes on 1,372 Posts

?????
What you smokin’ there guy? Of course the 4.2L has CATS (from the 4.2L service manual):

The spring and damper assemblies are located between the lower lateral arm and the front suspension housing in the inner wing. Two coil spring damper variants are available; a conventional oil damped strut and a Computer Active Technology Suspension (CATS) adaptive damper. For additional information, refer to Vehicle Dynamic Suspension (204-05)

Different combinations of springs and dampers are available depending on the vehicle model. The damper and spring assemblies are similar in their construction with the CATS adaptive damper having a solenoid operated valve installed in the damper body.

Have CATS in my 2007 XK, so sure Sean does as well.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

hehe - guy see post #2 from Bill and download the PDF. Also note your own post #13.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

It warmed up enough and the roads dried off so I felt OK taking a cruise on summer tires. The data logger failed while driving. Stopped, reset, continued to drive and it failed again. I'm going to clear the fault codes then access the remove the rear seats and access the ADCM and test the connections with a multimeter and see if anything pops up.

I'm seriously just thinking of getting some standard shocks and replacing them.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Just thought I should follow up my previous message to clarify that I only used the HT200 on my '10 XKR, not my '07 so it would be worth checking if anyone else has used an HT200/AP200 on a 4.2.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:20 AM
guy
Veteran Member

Oh…. I do beg your pardon! I didn’t realize CATS was available for the xk. My apologies!
However nothing changes from the workshop side of the house. “Check springs”. Of course, this makes no sense to me, either.
CATS has lost her mind?? In looking at the schematic 06-04 (assumption, as I couldn’t locate the last digits of the VIN) its a simple circuit. I too rule out any circuit mishaps as there are no codes!?! Rules out a loose connector in my mind…. even the connectors to the accerometers.
I look forward to hear from someone who has been here.
Sorry Sean.

Sean W (11-16-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 06:18 AM
guy
Veteran Member

I hate not winning ;-). Probably something we all have in common.

so I was thinking:
1. lThe vehicle speed signal is the main input for the ADCM. The ADCM contains upper and lower speed thresholds at which the dampers are set to the firm setting. The gear position signal is also used to determine longitudinal detection and, along with the speed signal, is compared against algorithms to select the appropriate damper setting.”

2. “The firm setting has a higher priority than the soft setting… The dampers are set to firm when driving at high speed or if a system fault is detected.”

3. “When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running, the dampers are set to the soft setting.
The ADCM receives its power supply via a relay in the CJB. The relay remains energised for a period of time after the ignition is off. This allows the ADCM to record and store any fault codes relating to CATS system faults.”

BUT NO CODES.

So, based on this information, what component would NOT throw a code:

“The ADCM receives signals on the high speed Controller Area Network (CAN) bus from the following system components:
• Vehicle speed - Anti-lock Brake system (ABS) module
• Brake switch status - Engine Control Module (ECM)
• Brake pressure - ABS module
• Gear position - Transmission Control Module (TCM)
• Lateral acceleration - ABS module
• Throttle pedal position - ECM
• Power mode - CJB via instrument cluster gateway
• Steering wheel angle - Steering angle sensor via ABS module
• Steering wheel speed - Steering angle sensor via ABS module
• Engine speed - ECM
• Engine running status - ECM
• Car Configuration File (CCF) Data - Auxiliary junction box via instrument cluster gateway
• Master configuration identification - Auxiliary junction box via instrument cluster gateway
• Vehicle information parameters - Auxiliary junction box via instrument cluster gateway.”

Very unfortunately and very unlikely I can only come up with one: Thresholds set in the CCF…. but you have been tinkering…

”The ADCM monitors the input signals and operates the damper solenoids. The input signals are
compared against algorithms with the ADCM and preset speed thresholds.
The vehicle speed signal is the main input for the ADCM. The ADCM contains upper and lower speed thresholds at which the dampers are set to the firm setting. “

Last edited by guy; 11-12-2021 at 06:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by guy:
kj07xk (11-12-2021), Sean W (11-16-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guy. I've gone through the same thought process as you via the manual. Hard ride occurred long before I was in CCF and all I was doing was adding Aux input.
I am getting the correct reading on the dampers at idle but SDD fails during a road test.
Waiting on the Autel unit from Amazon.

I did configure the ADCM as new in CCF as a last resort. The configuration came back as successful so I don't know the I did any harm, just didn't do any good.

I was going to pull the rear seats and test the ohms at each damper and see what the accelerometers were doing but it's fricken freezing out right now so I'll wait on the Autel unit. Next week, were supposed to get a couple days in the 50's so I can test run it again to read the data with the Autel.

If the data comes back as normal and the ride remains rough, I think abandoning CATS for standard shocks will be end game.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
Just thought I should follow up my previous message to clarify that I only used the HT200 on my '10 XKR, not my '07 so it would be worth checking if anyone else has used an HT200/AP200 on a 4.2.
Thanks. Time will tell. I just ordered one but it looks like it has a number of useful features in any event and free returns if it doesn't pan out.

u102768 (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 08:44 AM
guy
Veteran Member

buuuuut… a related story.
I am a software deployment services engineer in the security space…
And in one particular incident, I had to sort out issues … related to two entries for a particular component in a configuration file… where there was only to be one.
The issue caused a completely different implementation from the expected. That is, much like this case, an arbitrary set of properties and values ended up being set.

soooo.. can we view the entire ccf file in a simple text editor?

Sean W (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Received 604 Likes on 308 Posts

Speculative question: Is it possible that these Bilsteins (the manufacturer) are simply worn out?

I've owned regular Bilsteins and Sachs before on BMWs. Both began to wear out at 70K miles given the lousy roads they were on.

Strut wear often displays as a very harsh ride -- "crashing" over railroad tracks, for instance. A set of Sachs on my 530 with 70K were displaying this behavior, and when I replaced them the ride returned to normal.

Bilstein B4's, the basic OEM shock, aren't known for long life in BMW world. The Sachs have a rep for longer life, as do the Bilstein B8 and similar. Not sure what lifetime is typical for Jag CATS Bilsteins.

By the way, my '07 two stage CATS with 80K miles have a pretty harsh ride, compared to the BMW Bilsteins I've used.

I'm also thinking that disabling the CATS in favor of standard shocks may be all I need. After all, they are only two stage units. Why bother with CATS if they're only two stage?

Last edited by panthera999; 11-12-2021 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by panthera999:
guy (11-13-2021), Sean W (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
soooo.. can we view the entire ccf file in a simple text editor?
I will see what I can do and appreciate the extra eyes on it. - not working on it today however. Too cold.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by panthera999
Speculative question: Is it possible that these Bilsteins (the manufacturer) are simply worn out?
Possible but to me unlikely as they were perfect before the control arm swap. I have a lift and preloaded everything on two different occasions using a jack and then raising to the correct ride height. Logic tells me I'm just F'ing that up somehow. So while I wait on the Autel, we are expecting a couple days above freezing next week. I think I will get ramps and lower the lift and tighten with the wheels on, assuring proper ride and and confirming once again, I'm an idiot who can't use a jack and a tape measure. WTH, that's just time on my end and I'm retired. I'm hoping this is the case and I look the fool for dragging you guys down a rabbit hole but you can tear me a virtual new one later if that's the case.
Bilstein B4's, the basic OEM shock, aren't known for long life in BMW world. The Sachs have a rep for longer life, as do the Bilstein B8 and similar. Not sure what lifetime is typical for Jag CATS Bilsteins.
So you wouldn't happen to have B4 or B8 part numbers (what's the difference btw) front and rear that would fit our vehicles?

I'm also thinking that disabling the CATS in favor of standard shocks may be all I need. After all, they are only two stage units. Why bother with CATS if they're only two stage?
Agreed. I think the 2010 onward is a better system and I'd think twice but with my driving habits and my geography, tight cornering is a rarity.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Received 604 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
snip

So you wouldn't happen to have B4 or B8 part numbers (what's the difference btw) front and rear that would fit our vehicles?

snip
B4 is usually OEM level. B6 and B8 are progressively higher quality, more durable and stiffer. People using B4 sometimes feel B6 and 8's are too stiff.
I'd recommend you reach out to Bilstein tech support and ask them for a PN. Try this: Aftermarket Contact: Service@bilsteinus.com | 858-386 5900

Last edited by panthera999; 11-12-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Sean W (11-12-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 11:28 AM
Received 302 Likes on 174 Posts

Sean,
The shop manual calls for securing the control arm fasteners at natural vehicle height, which you have done.
The implication of the requirement is that the bushings are stiff enough to affect the ride when not set properly.
So, are the new bushings sufficiently firmer (or possibly harder material) that the ride seems harsher?
I'm thinking that new bushings, to some degree, may be like new shoes, requiring a break-in period.
My ride is nowhere near as harsh as your video indicates.
Q: Are you convinced, at this point, that the active control is the issue?
Your video looks like wheels out of balance. I know, nothing changed, Just saying.
I replaced rear upper control arms (but a different combination of parts) plus 2011 is continuously variable.
So, for what its worth, after the suspension work the ride was considerably stiffer. But after SDD reset and 50+ miles, it seems only slightly harsher than before the work.

Q: ​​​​​​​Are the replacement control arms new or low mile used? Manufacturer?

Please keep us posted

Old 11-15-2021, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Bill. Yesterday, I loosened (once again) the control arms, and the tightened them to spec @ ride height. They are Mevotech - new. The car was given a full alignment after the parts were installed. I also got new tires which were balanced but I guess I should have that rechecked though I watched them from a distance. Surely that wouldn't exhibit such a bad response? There is no difference in ride if I pull fuse 14 (ADCM) out of the CJB

I can't produce dilly for reports out of SDD but I connected an Autel and got the following report.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

What I can see from the above report which was recorded @ 65mph - And the ride felt like I was driving Fred Flintstone's car, Dampers are @ .48 front and .50 rear. I read those as soft, but I don't know if .48 would stiffen the shock. The manual only identifies the .50 amp as the soft setting.

I don't know what a Damper Duty cycle should be. Anyone? As I understand it, it's just the percentage of time a circuit is on vs. off.

Lastly, and I saw this on SDD/IDS as well. The Active Damping Status are all labeled NO. Doesn't appear to be an option but rather a status?

Last edited by Sean W; 11-16-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by guy
Very unfortunately and very unlikely I can only come up with one: Thresholds set in the CCF…. but you have been tinkering…

”The ADCM monitors the input signals and operates the damper solenoids. The input signals are
compared against algorithms with the ADCM and preset speed thresholds.
The vehicle speed signal is the main input for the ADCM. The ADCM contains upper and lower speed thresholds at which the dampers are set to the firm setting. “
As you can see from the live output, .50 is the soft setting and frankly while I was driving around from stop to start and every speed from 0 to 65 mph, the damper amperage never changed. Of course these were quick glances as I had to keep my eye on the road. I'm not quite sure where to look in CCF to check damper settings. To my knowledge, you have two choices, Active or not. The settings (my guess) would be coded into the ADCM and not adjustable, but even if they were, the data shows the output @ .5 which is soft. Still shouldn't result in a stiff ride.

OK so I'm down to my last idea, having discarded the old arms, I'm thinking purchase another set of lower arms. My assumption is lower arms would be the major cause of such a hard ride.
I bought Mevotech from Rock auto. They were slightly more $ than I could get Lemforder but could get them sooner at the time. I can't imagine defective parts but for Christ sake, I'm out of ideas. I guess one more time, remove all parts and complete reassemble.

Any input is always appreciated.

Quick Reply: CATS SUSPENSION Pinpoint tests help