XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Charged Battery, then Amber Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Charged Battery, then Amber Engine light

I left my car door slightly open, and the battery died. I charged it like a normal person, innocently. The car runs just fine, however she is giving me the amber engine light. Am I doomed? 2011 XKR

Old 06-29-2017, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Doomed... no, just need to pull the codes and advise then we can help.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,431 Likes on 3,207 Posts

Pretty much Any Auto Parts Store will run the codes for you gratis. It may also be advisable to buy a very cheap Bluetooth OBD2 reader with the Torque App. There are literally hundreds of parameters available, plus the ability to read/erase codes and check I/M status.
I got my reader for $6 delivered, it came with the full versions of both Torque & Dash Commander, free.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 PM
Default Thanks.

Thankfully the engine light turned off...I think it actually was a loose gas cap. i love this car so much!!!

Old 06-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Welcome to the site. I recommend you read the past 40 or so pages of threads on the X150 sub forum to gain a better understanding of what this car likes and dislikes.

I also wouldn't fret and check engine light after a dead battery. It takes a couple heat cycles for the computer to relearn the chassis and what it likes. Kind of like Windows. You love it when it works and despair when it does something dumb.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:54 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

The first morning after getting mine I went to turn it on and got nothing when pressing the start button. Started to worry about how to charge it now and what it could be .. Battery, alternator Etc... Ended up that I had pressed the brake pedal a few times before starting it to check the rear brake lights. Soon found out that if you press the brakes a few too many times when car is off , that you need to really push the brake pedal hard ... Real hard ... When finally trying to start it with the start button 😄 Silly but true !!

Old 07-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Default Thank you for your kindness.

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Welcome to the site. I recommend you read the past 40 or so pages of threads on the X150 sub forum to gain a better understanding of what this car likes and dislikes.

I also wouldn't fret and check engine light after a dead battery. It takes a couple heat cycles for the computer to relearn the chassis and what it likes. Kind of like Windows. You love it when it works and despair when it does something dumb.
I appreciate the feedback--and it's true what you say!