XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Charging the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Micro-aggression free gender neutral room.

(Only 7eleven had those in the pep boys time- they were called hook up rooms for some reason)
Tap your foot once to open the stall and twice for other activities.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

How we went from batteries to trannies is pathetic. Now back to the issue at hand (whoops perhaps the wrong word).

Anyway I could not jump the car with my jump box so I called AAA. They could not jump the car using 2 batteries hooked together. Soooo.....the guy from AAA says the battery is either a 49 or 93 or something like that. He checks their inventory and they have one. He goes back to the shop and gets a new battery, 900 amps of cranking power, and installs it in my driveway. In less than an hour I'm on the road. Total cost $183. Plus tip.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
How we went from batteries to trannies is pathetic. Now back to the issue at hand (whoops perhaps the wrong word).

Anyway I could not jump the car with my jump box so I called AAA. They could not jump the car using 2 batteries hooked together. Soooo.....the guy from AAA says the battery is either a 49 or 93 or something like that. He checks their inventory and they have one. He goes back to the shop and gets a new battery, 900 amps of cranking power, and installs it in my driveway. In less than an hour I'm on the road. Total cost $183. Plus tip.
The new battery should do the job. Now buy the CTEK MUS4.3....8-step smart charger and a CTEK Comfort Extension Cord and keep it connected to the XK/XKR.

It will be the best $80.00 you spend on your Jaguar.

You won't be disappointed with the purchase.

Here's a copy of my POST from 10-10-2015 on the Jaguar Forum reference batteries:

In my research over the past few days about batteries and who makes what brands I found the following on the internet. Bottom line, despite what brand you buy most all batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Here's the info I found based on a question I asked....

Could you tell me who makes Duralast batteries from Autozone.

Duralast batteries are a line of batteries sold by Autozone, which by the way is on every street corner it seems anymore. Autozone is one of the biggest auto parts store chains in the country, known for their great customer service and exceptional products. They can thank Johnson Controls for their dependable Duralast batteries. Duralast is Autozone’s private label made by Johnson Controls. Autozone offers a diverse selection of Duralast batteries, ranging from small to large. They even offer the Optima Gel Batteries in Auto and Marine, by the way which Johnson Controls also owns.

Below is a look at Autozone’s Duralast Battery Line, and the Optima Battery line made by Johnson Controls.

Product names, logos, brands, and other trademarks featured or referred to within are the property of their respective trademark holders.

Duralast Battery Duralast Battery 750 cold cranking Amps 935 cranking Amps 2 year free replacement 7 Year Warranty

Duralast Gold BatteryDuralast Gold Battery 850 cold cranking Amps 1000 cranking Amps 3 year free replacement 8 year Warranty

Optima Duralast BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 720 CCA (910 CA) Red Top Automotive Starting Battery with Post and Side Terminals. 36 Month Free Replacement

Yellow Optima Duralast Dual TerminalOptima/12 Volts, 750 CCA (870 CA) Yellow Top Automotive Dual Purpose Battery with Post and Side Terminals. 12 Month Free Replacement

Yellow Optima Duralast Battery
Optima/12 Volts, 450 CCA (575 CA) Yellow Top Automotive Dual Purpose Battery with Post Terminals. 12 Month Free Replacement

Optima Blue Marine BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 750 CCA (870 CA) Blue Top Marine Dual Purpose Battery with Post and 3/8 in. Stainless Steel Stud Terminals. 18 Month Free Replacement

Optima Red BatteryOptima/12 Volts, 800 CCA (1000 CA) Red Top Automotive Starting Battery with Post Terminals. 36 Month Free Replacement

Johnson Controls

Johnson Controls entered the battery business in 1978 upon acquiring Globe-Union Incorporated. Globe-Union was a Wisconsin-based manufacturer of Automotive batteries for both the replacement and OEM markets. Today, Johnson Controls is the largest producer of private label lead acid batteries in North America and is becoming a leader in Asia and South America. In 2000, Johnson Controls acquired Gylling Optima Batteries AB of Sweden. The Optima Gel Battery is well known for its quality and longevity. Johnson Controls completed the acquisition of German automotive battery maker HOPPECKE Automotive GmbH & Co. The company has an excellent customer base that includes many of Europe’s leading auto manufacturers. Johnson Controls also produce batteries for other applications such as marine, lawn and garden, commercial, motorcycle, wheelchair, and golf cart use. Most consumers have no idea of the size of the battery giant. When people think of Johnson Controls, they think of thermostats for HVAC purposes, not batteries. Johnson Controls is not only the largest North American battery manufacturer, but they literally control the North American battery market.
Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:

Interstate Battery (Interstate)
Interstate Battery (Interstate)

Die Hard Battery (Sears)
Die Hard Battery (Sears)

Duralast Battery (Autozone)
Duralast Battery (Autozone)

Kirkland Logo (Costco)
Kirkland Battery (Costco)

Everstart Battery (Walmart)
Everstart Battery (Walmart)

Prostart Battery (Pepboys)
Prostart Battery (Pepboys)

Hope this info helps other Jaguar vehicle owners.

The following users liked this post:
SickRob (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

SickRob,
What type is your new battery, conventional (wet-cell/flooded) or AGM (absorbed glass mat)?
Stuart

Old 05-30-2016, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
SickRob,
What type is your new battery, conventional (wet-cell/flooded) or AGM (absorbed glass mat)?
Stuart

Conventional, I believe; but honestly I did not ask. The AAA guy is coming back this week to install another battery in the Vette, so I shall ask.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:15 AM

Richzak;

Thanks for the great info. I know I need a tender, but for the moment I will just have to drive the car regularly to keep the battery up. Darn.

How/where do you run the cord so as to hook it up without leaving the trunk open?

Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Conventional, I believe; but honestly I did not ask. The AAA guy is coming back this week to install another battery in the Vette, so I shall ask.
Where the heck have you been.
You dont have a conventional battery- thats why AAA had some trouble. You have an AGM.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Rob: you have been advised by one person here to get a certain charger because it is 3x faster and has more features, and is therefore preferable to the CTEK unit that so many of us use (the people who have no electronic issues with their XK). The CTEK is a maintenance unit that you leave in place and connected - and it can be connected for months on end with no damage to the battery or charging system, and with the guarantee of 100% performance from the electrical system. My XK is plugged in always when not in use. Result: zero issues. If you use the CTEK you have no need for a fast charger, ever.

And in answer to your question about opening the trunk: you fit the CTEK connectors to the battery or the remote terminals ( if you have the 5 litre car): you use the extension lead from CTEK; the small unit sits outside the car so that you can monitor the battery condition by the indicator lights. If you were to leave it inside the car, you would think that the battery always needs charging because just opening the trunk will cause the unit to go into charging mode - it is that sensitive to a drop in voltage. For the record, the CTEK unit analyses battery condition, desulphates, verifies condition, and charges and charges only when necessary and only to 100% charge. There is a reason that Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Maserati, Porsche and other premium makes sell the CTEK under their own label and at twice the price.
To repeat: the CTEK and the "fast charger" are two different things, with different purposes.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Where the heck have you been.
You dont have a conventional battery- thats why AAA had some trouble. You have an AGM.
Ah ha, so my jump box is the wrong type battery. The car just sucked the charge right out of it without starting. I guess I'm a bit behind on my battery technology.

I have a very arthritic hip which has been a real pain lately. Until I can get a new one I take some pain meds on the bad days that just make me drowsy. I can't imagine why people want to take this crap voluntarily; I only use it as a last resort. However this does keep me off the computer some days.

Good news, the sun is finally coming out; so it s time to put the top down.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Rob: you have been advised by one person here to get a certain charger because it is 3x faster and has more features, and is therefore preferable to the CTEK unit that so many of us use (the people who have no electronic issues with their XK). The CTEK is a maintenance unit that you leave in place and connected - and it can be connected for months on end with no damage to the battery or charging system, and with the guarantee of 100% performance from the electrical system. My XK is plugged in always when not in use. Result: zero issues. If you use the CTEK you have no need for a fast charger, ever.

And in answer to your question about opening the trunk: you fit the CTEK connectors to the battery or the remote terminals ( if you have the 5 litre car): you use the extension lead from CTEK; the small unit sits outside the car so that you can monitor the battery condition by the indicator lights. If you were to leave it inside the car, you would think that the battery always needs charging because just opening the trunk will cause the unit to go into charging mode - it is that sensitive to a drop in voltage. For the record, the CTEK unit analyses battery condition, desulphates, verifies condition, and charges and charges only when necessary and only to 100% charge. There is a reason that Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Maserati, Porsche and other premium makes sell the CTEK under their own label and at twice the price.
To repeat: the CTEK and the "fast charger" are two different things, with different purposes.

Thanks Greg;

OK, how do I get the extension lead to the outside of the trunk without leaving the trunk open? I seem to be missing a step in the process.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

You are exactly right that the CTEK is the best charger to permanently mount and leave in place. Its why it is lower powered because it does not heat up, need a fan or pose any fire risk.

I use the 3x stronger charger that has the fan and so on for 2 reason.

1. I have several cars, I cant have 5 extension cords running to 5 devices. so I use the single unit and move it from car to car and only need to charge each car one day a month.

2. There are several instances where I dont have the luxury of an overnight charge, and need to charge something in 4hours.

I think I will spring for the 25Amp Ctek (cteck 2500) and be better off- it will be 5x charging. I.e. 1hour jump starts. It has a fan.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,219 Likes on 2,367 Posts

My battery tanked yesterday. I pulled the history up on my laptop as the date stamp was torn. The battery had never been changed out.

The only one I could find locally was the Duralast Gold at AutoZone for $169.

Damn thing weighs 51lbs.

That was a fine run on the original battery. 9 years. I can't speak for the PO but I always use the maintainer.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Gentlemen;

I also have one of these battery combo units that also inflates tires. It has a built in battery and leads to attach to the in-car system.
I think mine makes toast.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Thanks Greg;

OK, how do I get the extension lead to the outside of the trunk without leaving the trunk open? I seem to be missing a step in the process.
Personally I prefer to leave the trunk open to eliminate the possibility of forgetting it has the maintainer attached. I just keep the receiver cable tucked into the side when not used...

The trunk light shuts off after a bit, not sure exactly how long, maybe 10/15 minutes?

Attached Thumbnails Charging the battery?-dsc00193.jpg   Charging the battery?-dsc00191.jpg  
SickRob (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Greg;

The CTEK lead is very slim and easily sits between the weather strip and the trunk closing, no problem at all because the CTEK unit itself is outside the car.

SickRob (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Personally I prefer to leave the trunk open to eliminate the possibility of forgetting it has the maintainer attached. I just keep the receiver cable tucked into the side when not used...

The trunk light shuts off after a bit, not sure exactly how long, maybe 10/15 minutes?
In leaving your car partially open and unlocked you are also partially defeating the functioning of the maintainer. The XK , left unlocked, has several systems running for 36 minutes (this is in the training manual for the Jaguar techs).
The car should be locked always to minimize drain. Perhaps you could devise a memory-minder? And if you do, let me know about it because I need one too!

Last edited by sov211; 05-31-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

In leaving your car partially open and unlocked you are also partially defeating the functioning of the maintainer. The XK , left unlocked, has several systems running for 36 minutes (this is in the training manual for the Jaguar techs).
The car should be locked always to minimize drain. Perhaps you could divide a memory-minder? And if you do, let me know about it because I need one too!
No hope here. I keep the package in the driver's seat when in the garage. I take it out and put it on the garage step when I leave and that reminds me to plug it in and lock it up when I get home.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

The car should be locked always to minimize drain. Perhaps you could divide a memory-minder? And if you do, let me know about it because I need one too!
I never lock the car in my garage so there is always additional draw for me. Besides, when I put the maintainer on it is overnight so the 36 minutes is irrelevant. When I come out in the morning it is fully charged.

The XK is my wife's daily driver, it is more a concern that Mrs. Tampamark would jump in and drive off with the maintainer attached. I rotate it between vehicles and toys so I don't have a maintainer hard mounted in the jag.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

I have the unit mounted to a work bench about 3' from the boot lid. I run the cable out of the boot close the hatch and plug it into the CTek. Then to make sure that I don't try to drive off with the CTek attached I printed a 8"x 11.5" piece of paper in a big font the following "DON'T FORGET THE CTEK". I place the paper between the steering wheel and the instrument binnacle each time I plug in the CTek. Works like a charm for me.

SickRob (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Those of us in the frozen north who use a block heater during the winter make a habit of looping the extension cord over the driver's side mirror to remind us to unplug before driving off.

Quick Reply: Charging the battery?