XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Chasing P0193 for $10,000 ...... Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon18
But the problem is fixed after 4 years...... Why are the last 2 post saying its a band-aid or its not fixed. Please help me understand what I need to look for now, if its not fixed.
if the original sensor before the 2 replacements had this same failure mode i think the new one is skewed and something else is causing an overpressure condition. this only happened in the perfect condition, injectors off and maximum vacuum (+ delta pressure instead of - under boost).

if the hole wasn't machined right the frp and frp gauge pids would always match and neither would be affected by manifold events.

Last edited by xalty; 02-21-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:14 PM
Received 13,104 Likes on 6,529 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
whatever you did with the aftermarket sensor is a band-aid.

If the last fuel rail pressure sensor was reading 10 psi too high and the new one is reading more closely to a good mechanical fuel gauge, isnt' that probably all we need to know?

For the record, NTK is a Japan-based global tier-one Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and they claim to be the largest supplier of sensors to the automotive market. NTK is a sister brand of NGK, the undisputed largest supplier of spark plugs globally. Jaguars have been fitted with NGK spark plugs from the factory since the late '90s.

I have often suspected that many or all Denso sensors are actually made by NTK. I have used many, many NTK parts over the years, especially oxygen sensors, with zero problems ever. So the NTK fuel rail pressure sensor that Argon18 has now is probably as good as is currently available.

The Ford and Bosch sensors Argon18 tried were probably manufactured by the same supplier or by different manufacturers who both used the same defective CAD/CAM files. I have run into this before, with multiple aftermarket manufacturers making parts incorrectly in the very same way.

Out of curiosity, Argon18, was your original fuel rail pressure sensor marked Denso or Ford/FoMoCo? I can't remember from having replaced them in the past.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-21-2024 at 08:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
Cee Jay (02-29-2024), MountainMan (02-23-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
If the last fuel rail pressure sensor was reading 10 psi too high and the new one is reading more closely to a good mechanical fuel gauge, isnt' that probably all we need to know?

For the record, NTK is a Japan-based global tier-one Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and they claim to be the largest supplier of sensors to the automotive market. NTK is a sister brand of NGK, the undisputed largest supplier of spark plugs globally. Jaguars have been fitted with NGK spark plugs from the factory since the late '90s.

I have often suspected that many or all Denso sensors are actually made by NTK. I have used many, many NTK parts over the years, especially oxygen sensors, with zero problems ever. So the NTK fuel rail pressure sensor that Argon18 has now is probably as good as is currently available.

The Ford and Bosch sensors Argon18 tried were probably manufactured by the same supplier or by different manufacturers who both used the same defective CAD/CAM files. I have run into this before, with multiple aftermarket manufacturers making parts incorrectly in the very same way.

Out of curiosity, Argon18, was your original fuel rail pressure sensor marked Denso or Ford/FoMoCo? I can't remember from having replaced them in the past.

Cheers,

Don
This is great positive information Don, thanks.
The cars original Sensor was replaced 2 years a go, so I'm not sure what that one was, 2 years ago we put on the new one ( Ford ) and the car has been popping the Check Engine light code po0193 ever since. Then after manual gauge test we put on a second Bosch part. Same thing fuel rising to the max 78.3. Every time the pressure would do the exact same thing, climb to 78.3 then pop the po193 code. We chased this for 2 years trying everything under the sun through technical help form Jaguar USA. Not until many many items being changed, & Don suggesting the mechanical gauge did we realize the pressure was truly that high and we found the part on the car was really running at 78.3. The defective part was making the car run that high. My mechanic ordered the NTK sensor and realized the hole was machined correctly through and open which is correct. Now we installed that 2nd sensor and The car is actually running 70.0 psi on the manual gauge. The car now maxes at 70 psi and will not trip the po193 code because its not climbing to max allowed by ECU 78.3 psi.
I wish we would have known these 2 parts from 2 different manufactures were created incorrectly. Thanks to this forum and especially Don for his wisdom that got us to the car maxing pressure at 70 psi.
Many many thousands of dollars spent chasing a defective $50.00 part.
Hope this info helps future members and allows them to save their money by checking this now known defect in workmanship in the FRPS part.

The following 3 users liked this post by Argon18:
Don B (02-22-2024), kj07xk (02-22-2024), xalty (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

ok there we go it was the 2 new ford sensors. mech gauge is what you needed to double check your work