XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cheap fasteners from factory

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Something we don't consider regarding all the fasteners in our cars. They are selected based on cost, engineering design parameters and installation by a robot. Press-lock fasteners install faster than threaded fasteners.
The fasteners are selected specifically to fit the tooling installed on the end of a robot. The auto manufacturer purchases an "Assembly system" based on speed of assembly, the robot's ability to run 7-24, and that can handle a range of the available fasteners. The designer is given a catalog of approved fasteners that they must design with. Imagine how much more a car would cost if a worker actually had to operate a screwdriver to install a panel fastener!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Imagine how much more a car would cost if a worker actually had to operate a screwdriver to install a panel fastener!
Tru, dat. E.g., Aston Martin. I guess it's the price we pay for a lower cost. But you can still get a robot with an air wrench to screw in a bunch of bolts in an area where fastener failure will cause problems.

I don't care so much if the engine cover isn't held down quite as securely because a few fasteners are gone or broken (yes, it's not ideal). But I certainly care if the under-tray starts hanging down a couple of inches - London has speed bumps like teenagers have pimples, and I could very easily tear the damn thing off and do untold damage. That's the sort of place where plastic fasteners are a numnutz idea.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Something we don't consider regarding all the fasteners in our cars. They are selected based on cost, engineering design parameters and installation by a robot. Press-lock fasteners install faster than threaded fasteners.
The fasteners are selected specifically to fit the tooling installed on the end of a robot. The auto manufacturer purchases an "Assembly system" based on speed of assembly, the robot's ability to run 7-24, and that can handle a range of the available fasteners. The designer is given a catalog of approved fasteners that they must design with. Imagine how much more a car would cost if a worker actually had to operate a screwdriver to install a panel fastener!
I am quite sure that many here on the Jaguar Forum has not seen how the XK/XKR automobiles are built. At Jaguar the XK/XKR is built over a 2 week period. Robotic constuction is 60% of the build, while the remaining 40% is hand built.

I seriously doubt that robotics install the fasteners that we are discussing in this thread.

So if you have some time on your hands, and own an XK/XKR or are even considering buying one of these beautiful automobiles, do yourself a favor, and spend some time viewing the following links provided. I honestly believe after seeing these videos you will have a different opinion on how our cars are built. Jaguar is not a GM, Chrysler or Ford. When I owned my 2012 Camaro RS, it was built in Ontario, Canada and it took only 1 day to put it all together vs Jaguar's 2 weeks.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we own an automobile that is truly something special.

Check these out. Be sure to watch in the sequence I have provided......

Enjoy, you will be glad you spent some time watching.

The following 6 users liked this post by richzak:
amcdonal86 (02-24-2014), jahummer (02-24-2014), Ngarara (02-25-2014), ralphwg (02-24-2014), Tijoe (02-25-2014), Willie Engelson (08-17-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

To me, a modern Jaguar is sort of a cross between a handbuilt car and a mass-produced robot-made car. Pretty special!