XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Check engine light

Back again. Had a new battery installed today. Car ran fine, all electronics were working. Stopped at a store and when I got back in I started it and it stalled immediately. Engine light was on and stayed on as I continued 3 more times to start it and it stalled. Shut down entirely and started again about 10 seconds later. Started fine and no engine light. Started fine a few hours later.

Is it possible i didn't have the brake pedal fully depressed and the system requires I start from scratch? I never had this problem with any other car but the XK is and was idling and running fine other than this one incident.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,484 Likes on 3,229 Posts

I'll be the first to say it.....
New batteries do NOT come fully charged!!!
They get manufactured and are given a full surface charge, then they sit in the warehouse, then they sit in a truck, then they sit at a wholesaler, then they sit in a truck, then they sit on the rack at a store for who-knows-how-long.
You need to charge your new battery. Preferably with a 10-Amp actual battery CHARGER, for at least twelve hours if not 24 so it will get a good deep charge and not just a flash-voltage charge.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
barnsie (11-22-2020), ralphwg (11-23-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I'll be the first to say it.....
New batteries do NOT come fully charged!!!
They get manufactured and are given a full surface charge, then they sit in the warehouse, then they sit in a truck, then they sit at a wholesaler, then they sit in a truck, then they sit on the rack at a store for who-knows-how-long.
You need to charge your new battery. Preferably with a 10-Amp actual battery CHARGER, for at least twelve hours if not 24 so it will get a good deep charge and not just a flash-voltage charge.
Thanks. I had the new battery on a CTEK charger for a few hours between getting it home from the dealer and running some errands, when the stalling issue occurred.. the charge wasn't quite full yet but i think it was close. Will be keeping it on the charger all the time when not in use, in my garage. I also had this car checked out by Porsche dealer that sold it, Jag dealer that did PPI and indy that did a post- purchase inspection. All said it was clean. The indy said they found some cylinder codes they believed to be related to a dead battery. Thats it. Calling them Monday to get the actual codes (should have asked when they looked at the car yesterday).

Old 11-21-2020, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,484 Likes on 3,229 Posts

CTEKs aren't powerful enough to actually charge a battery that isn't close to full, unless you have it connected for days (and days).
Once fully charged, they can maintain it full quite easily.
These cars are super-finicky when it comes to Low Voltage situations and can come up with myriad problems, all from a low battery.

The following users liked this post:
Glide63 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
CTEKs aren't powerful enough to actually charge a battery that isn't close to full, unless you have it connected for days (and days).
Once fully charged, they can maintain it full quite easily.
These cars are super-finicky when it comes to Low Voltage situations and can come up with myriad problems, all from a low battery.
I think I'm learning that so many issues, benign or not, stem from the battery. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-21-2020)