XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Check Tire Pressure won't go away

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
19"

I did the underinflate all 4 to ~18psi, then inflated to 40 (all with the engine running though) and my wife has it out at work today. I'll report back to see if that worked. If so, I'll drop pressure down incrementally and see what happens.

Another thing, this car is 7 yrs old. I thought the batteries in the sensors only last 7-10 yrs?? Maybe we're chasing a problem that will not get fixed without replacement....
Update.
I inflated to 39-40 psi 4 weeks ago per the above post. Check pressure message went away and has not returned. I left the pressure there as the ride/handling did not seem to change. Hopefully this is ok.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
Update.
I inflated to 39-40 psi 4 weeks ago per the above post. Check pressure message went away and has not returned. I left the pressure there as the ride/handling did not seem to change. Hopefully this is ok.
Not recommended to run higher tire pressures. You should be able to reset the pressure to OEM without a problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Sean W (07-07-2017), shemp (07-10-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

shemp,
I bet it feels just like you got rid of a bad splinter in your index finger, it's such a relief not to see that stupid warning. I have probably run my tires at 40psi for the past two years, and yes, it's a little harder ride, but have had no other side effects, such as increased tire wear, etc. CONGRATULATIONS!

The following users liked this post:
shemp (07-10-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 577 Likes on 324 Posts

My request: bring them down to 35psi, which is still a little over. Let us know!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Then theres alwaysd the "is the tire pressure gauge youre using accurate?"
i found alot of tires lower than the tpms threashold psi and yet not getting a warning on cars. So checking my guage at work found it decided to suddenly reads 6psi lower than actual. Maybe some of these issue are not a issue with the car... Just a thought

The following users liked this post:
shemp (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Good point Brutal. I got out my handy old slide type gauge and it matched what my digital gauge was reading. So are they accurate? Who knows . I have a second digital gauge but the batteries were dead so I'll check that one once I get new batteries.

When I checked the tire pressure, they were all at 38 cold (well 85 deg ambient in the garage). I lowered the psi down to 36 and I'll leave there for a few weeks and see what happens. If no warning, I'll drop to 35.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello all - 2011 XKR - I too have been suffering with the “check tire pressure” warning light that comes on and off while changing positions among the four tires displayed. These are the same units that came with the wheels when I purchased it Preowned, and they were transferred to the new takoba wheels I installed several months ago. The check pressure warning was doing the rotating dance before the wheel swap. Back then I attributed it to an aftermarket battery tender that had been installed inside the rear trunk well behind the trunk liner by the previous owner. I had been using it but was getting all sorts of random warnings about low battery, parking assist not available and random check tire pressure warnings. After removing the tender all those things seemed to go away. But the dancing tire pressure warning has returned with a vengeance. Some days no warnings at all, other days it can be all day long.

I contemplated just having the dealer replace the receiver and the module, which look to be covered by my aftermarket warranty, but because they could not duplicate and there were no codes they just readjusted the pressures and said see how it does for awhile. Of course it started acting up the next day.

Any thoughts on whether replacing the receiver and module would do the trick. Or should I first try replacing the units in the tires? I’ve tried the overinflating technique but that only seems to last a day or two. It’s just gotten so annoying for that warning to be coming and going while driving all day.

I alternate between my two vehicles regularly so I find that I don’t need the Ctek tender yet and haven’t had any dead battery issues...

Thanks and sorry for the long post on a very much discussed topic !

Allan

Last edited by CatScratchFever; 11-09-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added name
Old 11-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

If the wheel sensors are as old as your car, they're about due. I got mine from Tire Rack and have had zero issues since. There wasn't any reprogramming or learning nonsense, either... just install and go.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mandrake:
CatScratchFever (11-09-2017), shemp (11-10-2017)