XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Chrome "lining" around gear shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

When I had my 08 my dealer replaced the whole J gate surround at no charge at least twice. Of course I was under warranty at the time. I think it is worth a try to get your dealer to replace it at no charge. Because it was obviously an issue.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, I thought I was the only one with this problem! Does anyone have the part number, I may just attempt to replace it myself.

Thanks in advance...

Dave

Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder if you could use some type of self sticking black foam, like home door weather stripping, thin of course, and line the inside where the shifter slides? Just a thought. Can't cost much. Or one might contact British Autowood, who is now in Florida. Don't have the web site but easy to find.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Just another idea, how about a strip of black felt applied inside.?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by beh2010
I wonder if you could use some type of self sticking black foam, like home door weather stripping, thin of course, and line the inside where the shifter slides? Just a thought. Can't cost much. Or one might contact British Autowood, who is now in Florida. Don't have the web site but easy to find.
Hello,

No sorry, I only do the woodwork

Kind Regards,

Saul Chaplin
British Autowood
1161 W.Lk Brantley Rd
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714

Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 2009 Gear Shift Knob

Here's what I replaced my 2009 XK shift knob with and I think it's ten times cooler than the stock knob. $70 at Terry's Jag Parts and a breeze to install. It's part # C2P9343. Terrys Jaguar Parts: Search

Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
Here's what I replaced my 2009 XK shift knob with and I think it's ten times cooler than the stock knob. $70 at Terry's Jag Parts and a breeze to install. It's part # C2P9343. Terrys Jaguar Parts: Search
I did the same using the same knob with Growler emblem in the middle. Found it on eBay for $35.00 + $7.00 shipping.

The old shift knob was a "bear" to get off. I had to use a hot iron and apply heat to the top of the gear shift knob to heat up the red adhesive (loosen it) and use a pipe wrench to twist it off. I finally got it. Looks great, I get lots of compliments.

Actually this gear shift knob (Silver w/ Growler emblem) was an optionable accessory for the 2009 MY XKR.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Default Clear Epoxy Fix?

Originally Posted by richzak
On my car the chrome that I am discussing is the thin strip surrounding the J Gate. While it has not come off, it is starting to lift every so slightly. The shifter when moved from P to D travels against the chrome edge the inside edges of the chrome have began to become very sharp. I had thought about replacing the chrome edge, but it was difficult for me to find any type of replacement. I am not sure how to pull off the panel, but the Hydrographic Coating is a viable alternative. It is such a small area surrounding the J Gate. While it is not an immediate concern, this post has me now searching for an alternative of some type to prevent the chrome from lifting off entirely.
Until today, I never noticed anything wrong with the strip surrounding the J gate. But when I ran my finger around the inside edges of that strip it felt rough and sharp in several places, most noticeably where you push the lever to the left into the S slot.

To smooth out the roughness and (hopefully) prevent any further wear damage to the chrome coating, I carefully applied a thin layer of quick dry clear epoxy over the inside edges of that strip with a toothpick and then smoothed it out with my fingertip. After it dried, it was completely invisible and felt smoother but not perfect. I'll give it more coats tomorrow.

I think this just might work.

Stuart

Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I did the same using the same knob with Growler emblem in the middle. Found it on eBay for $35.00 + $7.00 shipping.

The old shift knob was a "bear" to get off. I had to use a hot iron and apply heat to the top of the gear shift knob to heat up the red adhesive (loosen it) and use a pipe wrench to twist it off. I finally got it. Looks great, I get lots of compliments.

Actually this gear shift knob (Silver w/ Growler emblem) was an optionable accessory for the 2009 MY XKR.

I added a growler to my OEM Portfolio shift knob. It has a self-adhesive back and I can remove it with no damage to the leather if and when I get tired of it:

Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharihills
Hello BiggySmalls, did you ever figure out how to replace this chipped away foil? on the gear shift? Thank you
Hi guys - my dealer replaced the entire shift housing twice as the car was under warranty. When/if it happens again, not sure if they'll do it for free as it's now out of warranty.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:10 AM
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Shifter Surround Part Number

The part number is C2P5184. Seems to run about $800. If anyone has come across an aftermarket replacement for the shifter surround bezel, I would love to hear about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by twhumphrey:
Deabs (03-23-2022), Les H (06-14-2021)
Old 10-26-2015, 03:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of cars are being shrink wrapped. They may do a chrome wrapping which is applied with a heat gun. I have seen a chrome paint you can buy, this may work if you prep the plastic with an etching paint. I have never done either so cannot tell if they will work.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagtony
I have seen a chrome paint you can buy, this may work if you prep the plastic with an etching paint. I have never done either so cannot tell if they will work.
There are plenty of chrome paints on the market, they don't give a chrome effect but done properly will be a lot better than what you have now.

Here's a comparison of several.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar issue with my seat adjustments the "chrome" started to peel lucky for me it was "covered" under warranty. I'm would recommend you replace the part its probably cheaper than you think!

Old 05-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue, just dissasemble the complete unit and remove the remaining chrome from the plastic part. repaint it in a color you like (recommend dark silver) and for best result you should use a 2k clear coat on top.

Ciao
Frank

Old 05-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Can you explain how to remove the shifter surround?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You might try getting a real metal replacement from an Etsy shop I am having make me custom cup holders. The guy is in Poland and he does all kinds of metal trim. His store is autoCOVR.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/autoCOVR

If this is a recurring Jaguar problem I am sure he would be happy to work with one of you guys to get the custom part made for a good price. That way he can add an item to his inventory and sell loads more. He has metal trim pieces for lots of different brands although I don’t think he has done any for Jaguar yet.

I’m getting my custom ordered stuff next week. I could post pictures of the footrest and cup holders. But his store has trim pieces so you can get an idea of what he is capable of.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:47 AM

hi,

I will upload some pictures later this day that shows which bolts should be removed. I did this job a few times and disassembling will last approx. 20min.

Based on the images that I have found on the mentioned website, I would say the polish guy couldnīt do the job. The part that has to be build is much more thicker and more complex in structure than the stuff that he makes. He works with a
engrave machine or a laser cutter, non of his parts is thicker than max 3mm.
But Iīm happy If Iīm wrong.

Cheers
Frank

Old 05-11-2018, 04:11 AM

when u remove the console watch out, donīt break the plastic clips. lift it with a strong scraper left, right, left, right.
4 torx bolts will hold the shifter, remove them. you will not be able to pull the shifter out like on the image, because
the shifter rod is still attached. you only have to lift the shifter unit to get access to the 4 bolts l+r. that is a bit tricky
and watch out that you donīt drop them. after that remove the gear knob then you could remove the plastic cover.
there a a few more screws (one marked blue) to remove. make photos for backup.

good luck
frank

Attached Thumbnails Chrome "lining" around gear shift-4.jpg   Chrome "lining" around gear shift-2.jpg   Chrome "lining" around gear shift-1.jpg   Chrome "lining" around gear shift-3.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by neo4star:
Deabs (03-23-2022), Sean W (05-11-2018), Stuart S (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 895 Posts

Looks fantastic
Any ideas on worn traction button ??

Quick Reply: Chrome "lining" around gear shift