XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Clear Bra on my XKR??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff2130
I had mines done with a 3M product and know one seems to realize that I've had it applied until I point it out. If you decide to do it, DON'T USE CHEAP PRODUCTS. It's a fantastic investment, especially after being painted or newly purchased. My vehicle color is green, but I'm told with white, extra care has to be taken when being applied. It definitely helps when it comes to small chips and bugs that create irremovable stains. Also once installed, it's important to spray it off immediately after driving in the late evening hours.

Having it waxed and wrapped by a top detailing professional who has worked on lambo's, specializes in ferrari's, and even did a bugatti veyron.

Amazing to have such a top 10 detailer in the nation right here in my backyard of Columbus, OH.

He did my 2010 G37S coupe recently and did a great job. Again can NOT tell it is on unless you look real close (and even then its tough to see!).

Having the ENTIRE front end done. Rocker panels to the rear wheels, entire rear bumper done.

Hopefully he posts pictures and I can link them HERE when done! I plan on it!!

Loth

Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Clear Bra Results

Lothar52,

When I recently bought my Jag, a low mileage 2009 Vapour Gray XK Coupe, the first thing I did was have a clear bra package installed by a pro. I’m in Columbus, Ohio and I used Todd at Auto Options, (614) 268-3500. Their most popular clear bra package included the following:

· Clear Bra on entire front bumper
· Clear Bra on first 20” of hood
· Clear Bra on first 20” of front fenders
· Clear Bra on front side of both side mirrors

Those 4 items installed on my Jag cost $595. Additionally, I had them do the following:

· Clear Bra on inside of each door handle: $20 each
· Clear Bra on top of rear bumper: $60

Therefore, my total bill was about $700.

I’m very pleased with what they did and how it looks. The cost was fair and the quality was great. I’m now going to have them do both rocker panels and the front half of the roof.

The days of clear bra film yellowing, cracking, or fading are long gone. The current product, made by 3M, is crystal clear and very hard to see once it's installed. A good friend had his black Lexus done just days after he bought it new in 2007 and today, it’s still crystal clear and very hard to see. His car has no stone chips and looks just like the day he bought it! Hope this helps. Snide 72

The following 2 users liked this post by Snide72:
Lothar52 (12-11-2012), sharx8 (03-23-2013)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I wouldn't put it on the hood, stop at the edge of. The front bumper where it meets the hood. Mine has it about 12" on the hood and you can see a seam when close or dirty. I'm going to take it off the hood when I get brave enough.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I purchased mine with it (3M film) already on all the major body panels, and I wasn't a fan at first. I agree it doesn't gloss up as much as paint does. I was afraid it might be one of those petty annoyances that would irritate me more over time, but now I really don't notice it at all.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just fitted the 3m kit from No Chip on e bay. Had to order from Canada by air mail. Cost £100 to fit by our company sticker man. It has gaps in the joint on the front. This is a bit strange. Its on the bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper,
and sills. cleans well, and worth it. My old XK had loads of chips at the end of year 3.

You can see it but only at about 6 inches.

Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra on my XKR??-img_1109.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

any owner who install this 3m film alone? is it hard to do? i have nobody to help here.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by unders
Just fitted the 3m kit from No Chip on e bay. Had to order from Canada by air mail. Cost £100 to fit by our company sticker man. It has gaps in the joint on the front. This is a bit strange. Its on the bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper,
and sills. cleans well, and worth it. My old XK had loads of chips at the end of year 3.

You can see it but only at about 6 inches.
That's not where the seams are on my clear bra. My templates were done from XPEL diagrams. Go to xpel.com and punch in your year/model. You'll see that the seams are on either side of where the front license plate is -- not very noticeable.

Mike

Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3M on XKR being done next week

Getting a 3M clear car bra on my XKR convertible next week. Will do mirror backs, front bumper, rocker panels, first 2 feet of bonnet, bumper, lights and top of rear bumper, all for about $200 more than the pre-cut kits themselves are worth. When we spend this much on the car itself it is worth protecting.
A little bit more fiddly on the S for sure, but still doable by a professional installer, for a price.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I looked into it and after hearing that after a few years, it deteriorates, I gave up on it.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM

For any of you guys putting it on, please ask them how to take it off without destroying the paint. I want to take it off my front hood. The line bothers me.
Thanks for posting up the results

Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
For any of you guys putting it on, please ask them how to take it off without destroying the paint. I want to take it off my front hood. The line bothers me.
It just peels off. A bit like the plastic on a I phone screen

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
The guy who did my install was using a steam gun, I assume to heat the adhesive and keep the film pliable. He used it on both the install and removal (I had him re-do one of the side mirrors, which had a bubble in it).

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
any owner who install this 3m film alone? is it hard to do? i have nobody to help here.
After watching the install process (well, part of it anyway), its definitely not something I would tackle on my own. Getting the sheet down without any wrinkles, and making all the seams straight and perfect is something that I'm sure requires a lot of experience. My installer had done hundreds of cars and trucks before mine, and it still took him the better part of a day (he said the shape of the hood was particularly tricky to get perfect).

Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I'm sure that works great when the coating is brand new, but after it's worn it probably stays stuck!

If it were so easy to take off, isn't that a security concern? Someone on these forums might find you and steal your clear bra!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Default car bra removal

colleague at work put his on himeslf, and when it got too dirty from off raod driving took it off with a hairdryer to heat the adhesive enough for it to peel off. New coat went on easily. Will ask professional 3m installer next week and reply with their advice.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 AM
Default steam gun recommended for clear bra removal

Got mine back today after 3M clear bra addedto new xkr - front panels, door handle cups, full bonnet, sills, rear bumper top, lights and mirrors. Looks good and seams are on front above the wheel arches - no seams noticeable reall on silver paint. Installer recommends removal with steam gun, not any other heat method, as hairdryer or the like melts the glue and leaves a mess. So far so good but will take a few months to see how easily it cleans up.

Pretty complex job on bonnet with scoops and with cutouts needed for headlight washers, so was better to pay for the labour by an expert in my reckoning.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by POC62
Got mine back today after 3M clear bra addedto new xkr - front panels, door handle cups, full bonnet, sills, rear bumper top, lights and mirrors. Looks good and seams are on front above the wheel arches - no seams noticeable reall on silver paint. Installer recommends removal with steam gun, not any other heat method, as hairdryer or the like melts the glue and leaves a mess. So far so good but will take a few months to see how easily it cleans up.

Pretty complex job on bonnet with scoops and with cutouts needed for headlight washers, so was better to pay for the labour by an expert in my reckoning.
Thanks for posting the removal method! I appreciate it. Steam it is.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Clear Bra

Hey Ryan,

I've used it on my last three Jags. Once I had it done at a body shop that does good body work but they didn't do a good job on the front. It's real tricky to get it right around the grill. So I've had it done at the dealership ever since with good results. The stuff is great! A bit pricey though.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Consider that wax buildup around the edges takes a fingernail and a bit of time to remove, otherwise it can look unsightly.

Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra on my XKR??-13f5629d-93e7-4038-8c82-722180155bad-27205-00000c443150c025_zpsfbed0c1a.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Consider that wax buildup around the edges takes a fingernail and a bit of time to remove, otherwise it can look unsightly.
]
You can also have the installer "roll" the edges past and around the edge of each body panel. Cost me slightly more, but I have very few exposed edges where wax can build up.

Be happy to post images if anyone wants them.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

My concern is that after a a few years, the pain underneath the wrap won't match the rest of the car that has been exposed to the elements (sun). Is that a problem?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra on my XKR??