XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Clear Bra on my XKR??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

The first owner of my Lunar Grey 07 XK installed the film on the front bumper and bless his heart for it. I live in Florida where we have a twice annual "love bug' problem. These pests, when crushed against the paint, release a juice that mars the finish, sometimes removing the paint entirely.

The dealer who sold me my car removed the film revealing a perfect finish. I have not replaced the film as I do not drive the car in love bug season and I remove any other bugs forthwith.

I don't know how long the film was on the car but, yes, there is a difference in color between the front bumper and the rest of the car. But, the difference is VERY subtle. In fact, nobody else who has seen the car has ever commented on it. I can't comment on other colors but if your car is a daily driver I recommend you go for go it.

Last edited by user 2029223; 02-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
My concern is that after a a few years, the pain underneath the wrap won't match the rest of the car that has been exposed to the elements (sun). Is that a problem?
I would say "yes", as most vinyl has an element of extra UV protection. long term sun exposure could show up as slight fade variations as tarhealcracker has discovered.
Keeping a good UV resistant coat of wax should help keep the variations to a minimum.

As my XK is now just a weekend car, and garaged, this will never manifest itself during my ownership.

V

Last edited by CleverName; 02-04-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling... wow I hate typing from tablets!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

I had the clear bra removed off my black '07 XKR when I first bought it and there is a subtle difference in colour between the bumper and the rest of the car. I wasn't sure whether that was just because they are made of different materials though.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

A 3M clear bra arrived at my door step today. I'm doing the front, half of the hood, front of the fenders, and sides up about 18". I'm going to do it myself.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
A 3M clear bra arrived at my door step today. I'm doing the front, half of the hood, front of the fenders, and sides up about 18". I'm going to do it myself.
If your going to do this yourself order another set first, because your going to need it. This is not easy to fit. I have wrap on my company vans and our fitter said it was a pain in the **** to fit.

The video they say to watch is rubbish, and the instructions just as bad. Try to fit it on the door mirrors first, if you can't do that then take it to a pro fitter.

Flat panels are ok, like sills, But the bumper, forget it, Its a two man job for a start.

Have a go at the mirrors you will see what I'm talking about.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 89 Likes on 37 Posts

I just had one installed on my 2008 XK convertible two days ago.
There's many options, but I chose to have the bumper and front spoiler done, the headlight/foglights and the mirrors.
I had a Pro do it, and he was an expert. Alan Seligman, from the Orlando area.

I think the best way to find an installer is Google 'Clear Bra + (your area)' then look at all the Car Forum postings - there's always someone asking for recommendations. You'll soon find some common names reoccurring - and if those Picky Porsche Pukes like someones work, you'll be happy !

As a data point, my install, in XPEL film, cost $750, and took him 4 1/2 hrs. I probably could have managed the headlights - it looked hard. He said the worst was the mirrors !!.

Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra on my XKR??-dsc08895-resized.jpg   Clear Bra on my XKR??-dsc08892-resized-cropped.jpg  
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by unders
If your going to do this yourself order another set first, because your going to need it. This is not easy to fit. I have wrap on my company vans and our fitter said it was a pain in the **** to fit.

The video they say to watch is rubbish, and the instructions just as bad. Try to fit it on the door mirrors first, if you can't do that then take it to a pro fitter.

Flat panels are ok, like sills, But the bumper, forget it, Its a two man job for a start.

Have a go at the mirrors you will see what I'm talking about.

Order of installation:
1. Fenders (easiest to install)
2. Hood
3. Bumper
4. Mirrors (hardest) might do mirrors in 3M 1080 carbon fiber because I'm doing the center of the splitter and center of rear diffuser in carbon fiber (aero package)
5. Custom made sides

Should be an interesting project. If I have difficulty doing the easiest pieces I will stop and have a professional shop do the remainder. I'm making up the side sills out of 12" and 6" stock. I've made the templates and fitted them. I want to cover 12" up from the aero pack sills. I have 3,800 miles on and I can already see considerable stone damage.

Last edited by DGL; 02-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

I have mine done today, just the top part of the front spoiler, hopefully it is not that hard to install there, like 10 inches of height only by one meter wide. I have seen too many xkr with a real bad front paint ...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO just NO!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I don't like the clear bra plastic look and the line it leaves. I had the fenders done and the center piece of the front bumper, paused and stopped. I thought it took away from the look of the car. The 3M material also scratches very easy and cannot be repaired or corrected.. Just from using the squeegee I left a few marks. I'd rather deal with paint chips and the scratches can be corrected. When the paint gets real bad I'll just have it repainted. I wanted to keep the limited edition 175 paint it it's original form as long as possible.

I did wrap the upper part of the mirrors, center front splitter, and center back diffuser in 3M carbon fiber 1080 and it looks sweet. I'll post some pictures soon.

If anyone wants a front end kit minus fenders and bumper center let me know. This would be good for someone who has the kit installed and needs extra vinyl because your wrap has become scratched and unsightly.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 190 Likes on 88 Posts
Default I want your leftover 3M clear tape

I want your leftover 3M clear tape. how much do you want for it?
Snide72@wideopenwest.com

Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Install with minimal lines

For those concerned about the visible lines, you can find an installer to cut the patterns slightly larger than standard and "roll" the ends around the edges of the body panels.

Here's a few photos, sorry my hand wasn't terribly steady. About the only lines I can see are in front of the headlamp washer (small curve for part of the area, you can see it in the first photo) and on the side mirrors as its only over the center of the mirror (you can see it in the 2nd photo). There are a few others such as in the folds and edges of the hood vents (3rd photo).

The car has the full front end + mirrors + rocker panels. You can compare the color/look in the 2nd photo with the A pillar which isn't covered.

I'm extremely happy with the install, its already saved me from a few rock nicks....I was always unhappy cleaning the front of my prior car, too many chips.

Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra on my XKR??-img_0776_01.jpg   Clear Bra on my XKR??-img_0777_01.jpg   Clear Bra on my XKR??-img_0780_01.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking Clear Bra

I've done it on all but one (my first) Jaguars and am very happy with the way it looks and holds up. The car that I didn't have it done on looked like it got peppered by bird-shot. But it depends on who does it. When I had the dealership do it, it looked great. When I had a body shop do it, the cuts around the front of my XK were not done properly. I recently found the shop that my dealership subs it to. I talked to them and found out that the dealership was marking it up 100%! I could see 15%-20% but not 100%. I also found out that I could have had the entire car covered. The dealership didn't give me that option. That's what I'm going to do next time, so that there are no edges for wax to build up at. Do it Ryan Christine will love it!

PS. The edge shows up differently depending upon the color of the car. I could see it pretty well with my blue XK but not that much on my gray XK.

Last edited by drc; 02-24-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Clear bra is recommended.

Last edited by Lothar52; 02-25-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: error from typing
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Drc,

I got the clear bra and its awesome! christine is protected!!

Loth

Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snide72
I want your leftover 3M clear tape. how much do you want for it?
Snide72@wideopenwest.com
A local installer said he would finish my car without leaving a scratch in the vinyl. I'm thinking about having him do it. If I decide not to go ahead with the job I'll pm you. The installer also said the lines and any imperfection is magnified 10Xs on black paint--especially any dust caught under the vinyl. Below is a picture of the mirrors I did in 3m 1080 carbon fiber wrap. I also did the center of the front splitter and rear diffuser in carbon vinyl.

Anyone else have any problems with the 3M vinyl clear bra scratching? I was told the xpel (I believe it is called) has a memory and doesn't scratch but is much more expensive.

Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra on my XKR??-p1000639.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 02-26-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Lothar52

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Drc,

I got the clear bra and its awesome! christine is protected!!

Loth
You'll be glad you did! Where did you have it done?

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drc
You'll be glad you did! Where did you have it done?
I have a question regarding a spray of teflon on the paint to protect it, have you heard about it?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
I have a question regarding a spray of teflon on the paint to protect it, have you heard about it?
I'd have to go research my sources again, but we had this discussion on another forum. According to DuPont, the creators of Teflon, there are six basic coatings of teflon, and all of them require temps in the 300 plus degree range (try that onyour paint sometime!).

My opinion is that it is nothing more than a highly marked up dealership profit tool, to be marketed alongside Slick50.

Vince

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
I'd have to go research my sources again, but we had this discussion on another forum. According to DuPont, the creators of Teflon, there are six basic coatings of teflon, and all of them require temps in the 300 plus degree range (try that onyour paint sometime!).

My opinion is that it is nothing more than a highly marked up dealership profit tool, to be marketed alongside Slick50.

Vince
thanks Vince, I should have a 3m vinil installed last day but indeed the guy did not have the 3m, so i ordered a small piece on ebay and will do the most easiest part of the front bumper, the top with a rectangle and this is it, I will do it at home.
jaguar dragjag, lol, cool footage in cali...

my first one in 99 was a van den plas xj6 1984, what a car!, I baught in Monterey and drove down to sd on the 101, it was debride, it was dangerous driving like this, but what power...

Last edited by jagxk2008; 03-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra on my XKR??