XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Clear Bra on my XKR??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by POC62
Was at a Terribly British car display on weekend in bright sunshine - 400 classics there, from a 1910 roller through to the new F type. The local Jag dealer had some nice cars there too, and when they looked at my XKR with the bra on, did not even notice it was there until I aksed them to look a bit closer. If the efilm is wrapped over the leading edges it will hold well, and after exactly 12 months on mine, it has no dirty seams or bad joins. i had the whole bonnet, mirrors, door handle cups, rear bumber top edge, sills and rocekr panels done, and have avoided all stone chipping and scratching since. Well worth while and a good investment in the car's longer term value in my opinion. They had to use a different film, probably a coth guard one on the bonnet as it is too wide for the standard 3M roll, but that looks ok too. The seams were obvious on the rocekr panels when first done as they did not do the whole panel, and had a line on the top side that was not good, so I redid the whole panel, and when the joins are on the natural panel edges they all but disappear. Makes it easier to keep the car clean, and no need for waxing or polishing, just a high pressure hose from about 3 feet and then a wipe dry.
I am certainly glad I had the extra work done and will do so on my next car as well.
POC2....Did your front bumper kit come with seams when installed and are just not detectable? or are you saying they installed it in one piece? What type of film did they use? I will be getting XPEL ULTIMATE 3M. The kit comes in 3 pieces which amounts to 4 seams. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by drc
I had my XKR done at a body shop and they did a terrible job, which really surprised me because they do great body work. There were unsightly seams that you could see from several feet away. It was obvious that they did not know how to deal with the XKR front end. I had my XKRS done at the Jag dealership and there are no seams. Yes you heard me right - I cannot find any seams. It turns out that they use a place that specializes in nothing else but applying the clear bra. They will also do a full cover. Bottom line - if it's done right you will not see any seams.

The way I found out about this place is I had to replace the splitter and I wanted to get it covered. It was such a small job that the service manager sent me to the clear bra shop. There was a Ferrari, a C63 Black DTM (that was purchased in Europe and shipped to the states at an incredible expense),a Bugatti and my XKRS. They wouldn't let me take a picture of the Bugatti to protect the owner - weird. Anyways, these guys were good! So no excuses for having seams.

Cheers!
Sounds like a great custom shop that did your work. Do you know what name or type of material they used? 3M Xpel Ultimate, Scothguard, invisishield? Up to now, no matter how much searching I have done, I have been unable to find a shop that can install an XK front bumper clear bra without seams. Too bad you are so far away.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by drc

I had my XKR done at a body shop and they did a terrible job, which really surprised me because they do great body work. There were unsightly seams that you could see from several feet away. It was obvious that they did not know how to deal with the XKR front end. I had my XKRS done at the Jag dealership and there are no seams. Yes you heard me right - I cannot find any seams. It turns out that they use a place that specializes in nothing else but applying the clear bra. They will also do a full cover. Bottom line - if it's done right you will not see any seams.

The way I found out about this place is I had to replace the splitter and I wanted to get it covered. It was such a small job that the service manager sent me to the clear bra shop. There was a Ferrari, a C63 Black DTM (that was purchased in Europe and shipped to the states at an incredible expense),a Bugatti and my XKRS. They wouldn't let me take a picture of the Bugatti to protect the owner - weird. Anyways, these guys were good! So no excuses for having seams.

Cheers!
Awesome. Worth a trip to Cali for that.